Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Toby's FL350
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 pm 

Now all you need to do is learn to keep the roof of the ground lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:46 pm 

I was calling him lawn dart.

That's all wrong.

His new moniker should be..................

Dune Dart!

Toby, hope your shoulders and neck fell better quickly!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 am 

BMP says it, we follow! DUNE DART it is!

I think its time for Toby and Manny to do some suspension upgrades. They were both experiencing the issue of adding power to a FL350 and driving harder than the stock suspension can handle. I hope the stick marks from the seatbelt heal fast, as well as your blisters on your feet!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:58 pm 

Hello everyone ;)

I finally bought a pair of works shocks for the rear of this ody...... I'm so excited to install them and test them out !!!!

Also I bought some speedchaser J arm bushings that I will be installing, and some heavy duty tie rods.....

The first picture is when I broke a rear shock while racing at Milestone Mx track.....

I will update and take some pics when everything is installed.... Thanks Dune Dart !!!!

Attachments:
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG [ 59.8 KiB | Viewed 1100 times ]
IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG [ 52.8 KiB | Viewed 1100 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm 

I don't know if its the broken shock, the missing fenders, or just the way the picture was taken, but to odyssey looks small in that picture.

Works shocks was one of the best things I have ever done to my pilot. Speeds stuff is top notch. You will be very happy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 am 

You got lucky when that shock broke and you didnt damage your driveshaft. Make some limiter straps so if it happens again you are safer.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm 

[quote="rmesser"]I don't know if its the broken shock, the missing fenders, or just the way the picture was taken, but to odyssey looks small in that picture.

Hey rmesser ;) I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at the picture.... I look like a giant next to it.... lol Dune Dart....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
You got lucky when that shock broke and you didnt damage your driveshaft. Make some limiter straps so if it happens again you are safer.

How's it going Nick..... Thanks for the advice, I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about by making limiter straps ? Can you explain what they do and how I can make some ? Thanks Dune Dart

I can't wait to get this beauty back together so I can make the July trip to Pismo.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 pm 

toby wrote:
nickRNR wrote:

How's it going Nick..... Thanks for the advice, I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about by making limiter straps ? Can you explain what they do and how I can make some ? Thanks Dune Dart

I can't wait to get this beauty back together so I can make the July trip to Pismo.........

You run a strap from the outer knuckle to the frame, I think Randman has some pics somewhere. This helps save driveshafts if your shocks break. Also, there have been a few people trying to add a 3rd link to the rear, maybe someone can chyme in.

Yeah, get that ody done and hit pismo with us, it is always a great time.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:50 pm 

Also........If you break a universal joint, the entire swing axle will tend to swing outward which usually breaks or bends your shock. Limit straps will prevent the swing arm from swinging outward thus saving your shock.

Ody limit straps are straps are wrapped around a lower part of the frame next to the skid plate and run parallel to the axle. The other end is attached to the bottom of the swing axle usually where the upper Heim link bolts extend trough the lower part of the swing arm.

If I get a chance tonight, I will post pictures of mine.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:26 pm 

Rand did you ever get pics of that limit strap I would also like to see some pics of that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:37 pm 

OOPS!

I was just out playing over the weekend with the damn thing and forgot all about taking a picture.

Unfortunately its now back in storage. Maybe Ridindirty's Go Pro pictures will show where they are mounted.

I will tell you if you do any woods riding that involves riding over branches, it will snag on them because they hang just below the axle.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 pm 

lol I understand :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 am 

Randman wrote:
I will tell you if you do any woods riding that involves riding over branches, it will snag on them because they hang just below the axle.

And THAT is why you should never ever run through the woods naked!! LOL!

Oh wait...Rand said "AXLE"...my mistake... :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Randman wrote:

And THAT is why you should never ever run through the woods naked!! LOL!

Oh wait...Rand said "AXLE"...my mistake... :shock:

DMoney,

Thank you for the morning laugh!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:21 pm 

Rode this Fl350 for the first time since I put the works shocks on the rear.... All I can say is WoW.... :-) This baby rides like a cadillac now !!!!!
Best upgrade I have done to it this far.....

The last ride at Pismo my nephew and I pulled over to help a guy on a motorcyle because he ran out of gas..... Lucky for him he still had reserve.... After that I looked under the ody to find a huge puddle of transmission fluid leaking out... Finally removed the tranny for inspection and found one of the teeth on the ab gear broke off and made a hole in the tranny case..... fun fun Hope to be able to fix this....

Thanks Dune Dart

Attachments:
IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG [ 46.62 KiB | Viewed 780 times ]
IMG_2158.JPG
IMG_2158.JPG [ 56.33 KiB | Viewed 780 times ]
IMG_2159.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG [ 49.73 KiB | Viewed 780 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:38 pm 

The case can be welded up. Your gonna have to find a gear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:30 pm 

Finally found a new AB gear, now that I'm missing an arm and a leg..... :-)

I also finally found new seals and a gasket.... I had the hole in the transmission welded up.....

My question is : are there any tips or tricks that I should do to the transmission before I put it back together ? Thanks Dune Dart ::-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:11 pm 

Yes,I would get an extra 2 oil lube holes drilled for the dual AB bearings,making 4 all up.
Also service your BALL :shock: ...and spring in the shift fork.Ask me how I know? :-)
It's too easy to neglect or just not worry about.
I used to use an appropriate size punch or even a used welding rod to push out the ball and spring.
Clean it out,check your ball :shock: for roundness,damage etc.Make sure it all moves in out freely.
If you don't do this,and it jams up while riding,it can jump outa gear and into neutral at high revs.
Real bad for the 350 motar to free rev like that,and causes brown stains in your jocks!

Another worthwhile service,is to check the leading edges of both gears C & D that are engaged by the selector hub.
Drag your finger nail Image over the leading edge and see if it grabs.If you have none,use the wife's.There is often a slight burr there,when you add all the gears slight burrs,it makes for hard engagement with the selector hub.I used a dremel and carefully just ground away the leading edges.
It dramatically improves the gear engagement,much quicker,less grinding of gears.
Look after your tranny...and your tranny will look after you.Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:00 pm 

Thanks Bugeye for the suggestions.... I drilled an extra lube hole in the AB gear.... I finally got all the needle bearings, seals and all new bearings, now this transmission is gonna be all brand new.. :-)

My question is the counter case bearing falls into the transmission case, I don't see any visible signs of the bearing spinning in the case... What should be done so the bearing does not spin in the case.... Thank you Dune Dart ::-: ::-: ::-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:02 pm 

toby wrote:
Thanks Bugeye for the suggestions.... I drilled an extra lube hole in the AB gear.... I finally got all the needle bearings, seals and all new bearings, now this transmission is gonna be all brand new.. :-)

My question is the counter case bearing falls into the transmission case, I don't see any visible signs of the bearing spinning in the case... What should be done so the bearing does not spin in the case.... Thank you Dune Dart ::-: ::-: ::-:

Bearing retaining compound

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:05 pm 

Thanks BS, any particular brand ? or any tips on using it.... thanks Dune Dart

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:25 am 

toby wrote:

Looks like loctite and permatex both make them. I would guess either is fine, although I do not have experience with these products.

You gonna make the Dumont trip in 2 weeks?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:30 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
toby wrote:

Looks like loctite and permatex both make them. I would guess either is fine, although I do not have experience with these products.

You gonna make the Dumont trip in 2 weeks?

Thanks Nick, I found some made by loctite.... I plan of having this tranny finally put together this weekend... :-)

We have been planning on going to the Dumont trip !!!!!!! See you there..... Dune Dart ::-: ::-: ::-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:04 pm 

I remember using one that came in a very small plastic squeeze tube,like toothpaste.
It was not a 100% liquid retainer,but instead also metal fillers like alu particles etc
Was in a paste form designed to fill in between the case pocket and bearing edge.
Think it was a Loctite brand,very good it was.
Just make sure to use something like acetone to clear/prep the bearing edge and case pocket for best adhesion result.

Profile E-mail