Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-Filter for Rhino 700
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:24 pm 

Anyone here ever done one? I pulled the air filter on my mom's rhino last night and the airbox is full of crap, it sucks dirty air into the box, just like the RZR, and over stresses the filter. I had her put a UNI in and replace the yamaha filter as it was starting to crumble near the base. She has ran the UNI for a while, serviced every time we ride, and I am noticing there is stuff blowing by it. I am thinking of sealing the air inlet on the rear of the box lid, and opening up a new inlet on the front of the box lid with a clamp on K&N. I happed to have a pilot K&N with a sock that I never use, so it should be as easy as cutting open the lid, gluing on a coupler, clamping on the K&N, maybe add a support bracket, and done.

Advice? Concerns?

Red arrow shows current air inlet, Green arrow shows future pre-filter location

Attachments:
YamahaRhino2008-Airbox-1.jpg
YamahaRhino2008-Airbox-1.jpg [ 202.6 KiB | Viewed 907 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 am 

You try asking on one of the rhino boards?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:27 pm 

did a little searching. all i could find is someone who eliminated their box completely and ran an open uni filter. don't really want to do that. all the aftermarket boxes are expensive and come with a K&N style filter and we know how that goes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
did a little searching. all i could find is someone who eliminated their box completely and ran an open uni filter. don't really want to do that. all the aftermarket boxes are expensive and come with a K&N style filter and we know how that goes.

Nick up your own design, the older rhinos the air box was at the Engine and it sucked from under the Engine cover, ton of dirt their, the new design sucking from under the hood up front was a huge improvement IMO I am sure you and Rusty can engineer your own prefilter that will keep the factory filter and make it work really well.

You did the prefilter mod on your RZR too? I really like that mod keeps the inside of the box nice and clean :-)

Some pics of the older air box design can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5479

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:40 pm 

Hoser, yeah I did the pre-filter on the RZR. Works great. My neighbor just bought a RZR and I am going to help him do his too. I have done a slip on pipe and fuel controller on it, but it runs rich. I am going to work more on the air box and see if I can get it to flow better, might mod the lid, use a hose clamp instead of the slip on clamp, and have another pre-filter. If I do, I will make another thread.

For now, here are some pics of the Rhino lid. I silicone glued a piece over the factory air inlet and can peel if off later if I need to. I also had to fix a broken tab on her airbox. I used w uni filters, I would have to order K&N's for it since no shops carry the ones I want. We are going riding this weekend, so no time to order. If the uni's work well, I will just use them as is.

Attachments:
downsized_1103121539.jpg
downsized_1103121539.jpg [ 24.72 KiB | Viewed 856 times ]
downsized_1103121544.jpg
downsized_1103121544.jpg [ 28.85 KiB | Viewed 856 times ]
downsized_1103121558.jpg
downsized_1103121558.jpg [ 23.94 KiB | Viewed 856 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:31 pm 

Looks good. I don't think the unis will get too dirty and should work well up under the hood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 pm 

Nutten wrong with UNI for a prefilter I only use the K&N because they are faster and easier to clean.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:49 am 

My only concern is making it run too lean or rich. Was thinking rich since the overall filter surface area on the pre-filters is sort of small, as compared to how it could be with the longer K&N filters. Guess at this point it is just trial and error. I will oil up the filters, maybe put some nylons over them, and see how it runs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:47 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
My only concern is making it run too lean or rich. Was thinking rich since the overall filter surface area on the pre-filters is sort of small, as compared to how it could be with the longer K&N filters. Guess at this point it is just trial and error. I will oil up the filters, maybe put some nylons over them, and see how it runs.

Call UNI ask them how many CFM the stock main filter flows when you install a UNI then ask them how many CFM's the filters you used for the prefilters flows this will give you an idea if its going to be restrictive.

OR you can test it yourself if you can find the equipment needed you would check the negative pressure in the air box with the prefilters off like a long WOT (Wide Open Throttle) run then install the filters and check the negative pressure in the box again see how much difference with the filters ideally you would want no increase or restriction.

You would want to know the usually in inches of water http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/u-tub ... d_611.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:54 pm 

I will try to give UNI a call and see what they say. I installed the lid last night, but couldnt test it since the battery went dead. Wally world has one for $28, but the cold cranking amps arent as high as the stock battery. 275 versus 330. Called yamaha today, they want $99!!! Wondering if the Wally World special is worth the savings or not?

I cleaned out the airbox, will see how clean it stays with the prefilter setup.

Attachments:
Inside the airbox without pre filter.jpg
Inside the airbox without pre filter.jpg [ 28.5 KiB | Viewed 797 times ]
pre filter installed.jpg
pre filter installed.jpg [ 29.74 KiB | Viewed 797 times ]