Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:57 am 

Hi guys,

I picked up my first pilot project and its a mess. The PO said they ran it without oil in the gas. I think most of the piston skirt fell out of the exhaust when I took it off. I am hoping you can help me ID some of the parts on it and give me some direction. My end goal would be to restore it to reliable stock looking machine.
Attachment:
Small_Pilot.jpg
Small_Pilot.jpg [ 71.13 KiB | Viewed 1643 times ]

Front and Rear Suspension, not sure what shocks they are. Please let me know if you have an idea.
Attachment:
Small_front_shock.jpg
Small_front_shock.jpg [ 32.07 KiB | Viewed 1643 times ]

Attachment:
Small_Rear_Shock.jpg
Small_Rear_Shock.jpg [ 37.61 KiB | Viewed 1643 times ]

Mikuni round carb, not sure what size
Attachment:
Small_Carb.jpg
Small_Carb.jpg [ 55.21 KiB | Viewed 1643 times ]

Is this the stock clutch?
Attachment:
Small_Clutch.jpg
Small_Clutch.jpg [ 44.51 KiB | Viewed 1643 times ]

More pics coming...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 am 

Here are some pics of the broken pipe, probably from running it without the rear skid plate. The silencer mount is broken too.
Attachment:
Small_Pipe1.jpg
Small_Pipe1.jpg [ 47.99 KiB | Viewed 1642 times ]

Attachment:
Small_Pipe2.jpg
Small_Pipe2.jpg [ 52 KiB | Viewed 1642 times ]

Attachment:
Small_rear_sliencer.jpg
Small_rear_sliencer.jpg [ 71.44 KiB | Viewed 1642 times ]

The guy used safety wire on the CV boots.
Attachment:
Small_CV_Saftey_wire.jpg
Small_CV_Saftey_wire.jpg [ 44.57 KiB | Viewed 1642 times ]

The steering yoke with additional gauges.
Attachment:
Small_yoke.jpg
Small_yoke.jpg [ 52.28 KiB | Viewed 1642 times ]

And my favorite part, the custom rear rims
Attachment:
Custom_rear_rim.jpg
Custom_rear_rim.jpg [ 37.51 KiB | Viewed 1642 times ]

What special tools do I need to dissemble the Engine and where can I get them? When I am in there I would like to replace all the bearings and seals - where is a good place to source these parts? I am assuming that the cylinder is going to need a bore and probably a new rod bearing. Where is a good place to have this done?

Because I would like to take it back to stock, is it hard to find a stock gas tank and air box that don't break the bank? I would not mind a stock pipe and silencer as well, just to start off with. The PO painted the plastic with some red paint that does not stick very well. He even painted over the stickers. It is really sad....

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

- Spunbearing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:46 am 

More detail pictures of the Engine please that don't look like a Pilot Engine from what I see

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 am 

I would like to see more pictures as well...
Could they have installed a 4 stroke Engine and used the original Pilot pipe because it fit???
That Pilot has been modified in many ways I think....
A lot more pictures of the frame mount where they attached the Engine too...
Regards.. oh and Pilots are great

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 am 

go oddy wrote:
Could they have installed a 4 stroke Engine and used the original Pilot pipe because it fit???

Its a 2 stroke from what I can see just not a Pilot my guess is a 350cc Polaris quad Engine, carb looks like a PE Mikuni

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 am 

I will get more pics of the Engine but I think Hoser is right, it looks like a 400cc Polaris Engine. Looks like this one I found on ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-400-Scrambler-Trailblazer-Sportsman-Motor-Engine-Cases-Cylinder-/150954013815?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23258f7477&vxp=mtr

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:59 pm 

im betting it is that 400 polaris as well. i jist rebuilt one for a friend. it seems to run good. looks like they did away with the oil injection the Engine had too

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 pm 

If that is the case.. that it is the 400cc 2 stroke from Polaris and it is in there "correctly"...
It could be a great fit for the Pilot....
I did some quick reading and this 400cc Engine with a few mods can make some great HP at lower than expected rpms
regards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 am 

Here are some more pics of the Engine as requested. It is for sure a Polaris 400 from the label.
Attachment:
Small_engine_front.jpg
Small_engine_front.jpg [ 36.76 KiB | Viewed 1556 times ]

Attachment:
Small_engine_side.jpg
Small_engine_side.jpg [ 57.02 KiB | Viewed 1556 times ]

Attachment:
Small_label.jpg
Small_label.jpg [ 41.44 KiB | Viewed 1556 times ]

The belt is a Polaris belt(Carlisle Ultimax ATV UA412). Will this work well with the Pilot trans pulley? According to this thread they are the same as the Pilots, is this right?
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=7530
Attachment:
Small_belt.jpg
Small_belt.jpg [ 46 KiB | Viewed 1556 times ]

So is rebuilding the Polaris Engine a good option or should I try to source a real Pilot motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))? I found a dino chart here - http://www.hpd-inc.com/Spec3.htm - how does the Polaris Engine compare to the Pilot's? Parts seem to be a lot cheaper for the Polaris and a Pilot motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) isn't going to be cheap.

I am worried that the PO did not place the Engine in the correct location and the distance between the Engine and trans is wrong. Does anyone know what it is so I can do a quick check? He seemed like a hack, he even painted over the warning labels on the fenders. I don't think you can get much lazier then that.
Attachment:
Small_paint_over.jpg
Small_paint_over.jpg [ 34.33 KiB | Viewed 1556 times ]

As always, any help is appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:56 am 

From what I have seen by lurking in the Pilot/Odyssey forums, the stock engines are somewhat fragile. Since it is already set up with the Polaris Engine, I would consider the cost of repairing and tinkering with the Polaris Engine first before thinking about an Engine swap.

Why I say this is looking at the pictures, the machine does look like it was running that way at one point before the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) got scrunched.

I know very little about CVTs, but I should be able to at least provide some pointers for you.

First your question: No, that is not the stock Honda "Driven". Chances are the PO took the entire Engine out of a quad - driven and all - and plopped it into the Pilot - that would have been a simple "shade tree mechanic" operation.

Will it affect your performance, crossing the two brands? not really - the Cone angles will have to comply with standards - around 27 degrees. The driven, if it is the Polaris OEM, may already be tuned with that Engine's powerband. What really matters is the deflection (or tension) of the belt, and it does look a little too loose in the pictures.

here are some general CVT belt tips

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:59 am 

I would be sticking with the Polaris Engine that's ALREADY in there.
Why,cause' the hard work's already been done,PLUS you'll end up with more power and ONGOING AVAILABLE parts.
OEM Honda Pilot/Ody parts are becoming more and more DISCONTINUED!...So you kill 2 birds with one stone.

What's critical to belt life and performance is Parallelism between the front-Drive clutch and rear-Driven clutch.
Your clutches MUST be as Parallel as poss in both the vertical and horizontal shaft planes.
Get some 10mm-3/8" square bar,or angle,long enough to go from the backs of the clutches and measure the gap for EQUAL distance for parallelism.
Adjust the Engine on it's mounts to get the clutches parallel.

For an example as to what your belt path has to go thru,point your forefinger out,and spin as quickly as ya can a circle in a straight line,say from 12 to 6 o'clock in front of you.
Then do the same but with a figure 8 path...the staight line circle represents clutches in parallelism,but the figure 8 is what path the belt snakes at with un-parallel clutches.
Another further test is to do the same,BUT mouth/wet your finger first.You'll find with the 1 st straight circle that your wet finger will remain wet and cool.
But in the figure 8 wet finger test,the finger will dry out and become warm/hot...simulating overheating belt in un-parallel clutches.

Just a warning tho,when ya do the finger-circle test,DON'T do it while ya drinking,it'll do ya head in,and you'll fall over! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 pm 

hoser wrote:
go oddy wrote:

Its a 2 stroke from what I can see just not a Pilot my guess is a 350cc Polaris quad Engine, carb looks like a PE Mikuni

I'm guessing its a Mikuni VM34 or VM36, which is a suitable sized carb for a 400cc. And because the roundslide Mikuni is the "VM" series. Except I don't see a choke...

And what trans is on it? Is it the Polaris gearbox-and-engine-combo, or is it a Polaris Engine on a Pilot trans?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm 

When you get a chance can we see close up pics of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts (frame) and Engine to tranny?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:23 pm 

Keep the polaris, beef up the Engine mounts if need be. They are good engines, and parts are going to be much cheaper for that vs a pilot. and to the average person, they don't know that it isnt a factory Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 pm 

I think I know what kind of shocks those are. They are the WRONG kind...LOL They look like they would be off the Polaris quad that donated the Engine. I do like how the PO used washers to space the tops of the shocks inside the mounts. I am always one to admire "redneck ingenuity" (had to look up how to spell that big 'ol word!)

Good luck with your project, keep us informed on your progress.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:40 pm 

I believe they also call it "SkillBillying"

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 pm 

Hey guys,

I noticed a set of stock FL400 shocks pop up on CL and I was wondering if I should get these to replace the current ones I have that I know nothing about. They want 300 for all 4 shocks, I am assuming they will need a rebuild and recharge too. What do you guys think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:06 pm 

In my opinion your money is best spent on a set of new works shocks. the works make a huge difference in ride. One of the best upgrades I have done to my pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:08 pm 

$300 aint bad, depending on shape. Any progress othewise? Might be a cool sled swap pilot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:36 pm 

I think a set of Works Shocks is close to $1200 bucks for a full set, isn't it? Maybe more.... That is a little steep for me right now.

I don't have any new progress to report, I have been side tracked with life's other projects. I am hoping to have more time this winter. Since the machine came with a Polaris 400 Engine I am going to try to properly install that and see if it is viable option.

Profile E-mail