Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 am 

It is just under 15" from center to center of eyes on rear shocks so hopefully they work out.

These pictures of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) bikes take place at grange motorway in apple valley, it's a gokart track. A bunch of motorbike guys meet up a couple times a year and race, there are different classes based on motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) sizes. On my bike, I have a briggs and Stratton 5 hp flathead which is my favorite. Does about 45mph and is street legal. You can check them out at motorbicycling.com.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 pm 

how do u plan on building the bearing block?
its going to take a big beating plus u have to get two different bearings as the shadt is diffrent

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm 

heres mine

Attachments:
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG [ 80.05 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 am 

fully wrote:
heres mine

GOT ANY PHOTOS OF IT OUT OF THE BEARINGS?
AND THE OTHER SIDE ?

have u had it out ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:38 pm 

I have not got that far yet with the back end but I went to a bearing shop to see what kind of bearings are available to fit this shaft. They had some roller bearings that were self sealed in both the sizes needed for the two different sizes on shaft. They also had ball bearings that already have castiron housings i think like what Fully has on his but they said they would probably break and ball bearings are only good for vertical force or strength but not any strength from stress pushing to the side which on the fl350 axels, there will be force pushing from every direction on the bearings. I have some thick aluminum plate that I will bore out to hold the roller bearings and then I will bolt that to steel brackets that will be welded and bolted to the frame.

I am curious on how Fully's set up is holding up, what kind of Engine does it have? More pics?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 am 

odysseyninja wrote:
I have not got that far yet with the back end but I went to a bearing shop to see what kind of bearings are available to fit this shaft. They had some roller bearings that were self sealed in both the sizes needed for the two different sizes on shaft. They also had ball bearings that already have castiron housings i think like what Fully has on his but they said they would probably break and ball bearings are only good for vertical force or strength but not any strength from stress pushing to the side which on the fl350 axels, there will be force pushing from every direction on the bearings. I have some thick aluminum plate that I will bore out to hold the roller bearings and then I will bolt that to steel brackets that will be welded and bolted to the frame.

I am curious on how Fully's set up is holding up, what kind of Engine does it have? More pics?

it had an old yamaha street bike Engine when he bought it

he is going to put in an TRX450R Engine

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 am 

odysseyninja wrote:

probably ur best bet is to get an SS bearing block make it overkill if u can would be best use an 4 bolt up bearing block like fully has

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 pm 

When I get a chance I will take it out again and get some pics. It's nothing fancy. Just a couple bearings in pillow blocks. They are the same style bearing used on alot of farm equipment around here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:09 pm 

Yes I plan on making a 4 bolt style housing similar to those pictured.

I am curious how those pillow blocks are holding up?

So I decided to go with trx450 +2 laeger a arms and stage 3 elka shocks that my cousin is selling for my front a arm conversion. I'm just selling of the ltr450 stuff I was planning to use. I figured elkas are way better then stock atv shocks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 am 

So since I have not yet got the trx450 front end, I have put the front end to a pause. I recieved the 1 3/8" tubing I ordered to finish up the top end of the roll cage. I cut up, notched and welded everything up, it was not a perfect fit but managed to put the roll cage all back together. Whoever had this thing before me rolled it or some how smashed one of the back corners so now the back down tubes are a bit tricky to bolt up. I also put the Engine and seat in to see how it all fits. It seems it will work now, I just have to start figuring out the rear axle, buy bearings and also figure out the jack shaft before I know exactly where the Engine will fit best.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 am 

Get the Engine as low as you can in the frame. The buggy will handle better that way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 am 

Thanks for the heads up, I do plan to make it a little lower but there's not much more room to lower it unless I reworked the tubing below it. It seems like its just a tall Engine compared to the 2 strokes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 am 

Are they an left or right chain on the ninja?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 am 

The ninja is left chain but the plan is to run a jackshaft, I don't want a huge sprocket on the rear axle do to space. I got a sprocket that's about as big as the disc brake but to get the gearing I want I need the jackshaft, that's why sprockets on the right on the axle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 am 

Rework the tubes, get the Engine lower.

I was a little hard on my chassis with the 670 in there. It was a no brainer at this point to beef it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 am 

odysseyninja wrote:
The ninja is left chain but the plan is to run a jackshaft, I don't want a huge sprocket on the rear axle do to space. I got a sprocket that's about as big as the disc brake but to get the gearing I want I need the jackshaft, that's why sprockets on the right on the axle.

Ok
I was going to sujest flipping the brake and every thing around to where the sprocket is on the left

Fyi shorter chains will wear out faster than a long one

Longer=cooler for chains

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm 

I think I can position it a little lower with out reworking the tubing. I am definately going to reinforce the Engine cage with gussets and extra tubing but I want to get axle and motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts made up first. The chain will be short but I think they will be ok, just need to keep up with lubrication.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:36 am 

May I suggest changing your sprocket? In the pic looks to be just past it's use by date.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm 

So I got the front Elka's and laeger +2 a arms finally, I am going to try and finish the front end and get everything tacked in place hopefully within the next couple weeks. I have decided to change to a bigger Engine, a 750 or 1000 and go with an a arm rear end setup like the white odyssey, I really like the way it's set up and allows way more travel than the stock trailing arms. I am trying to sell the ninja 500 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and stock rear end before I can start on the a arm rear end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm 

Who makes that rear a arm setup?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:16 pm 

Here is the link for the rear end:
http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=571.0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am 

what kind of Engine u thinking?

cbr600 or gsxr 600,750 or 1000

u can get an older cbr600 f4 carb Engine for around $300-$500

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 am 

This odyssey appears to have those Mavin Shaw shocks also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm 

I'm thinking maybe a 750 or 1000 and preferably fuel injected. I have seen crashed but complete 750s with running motors and FI go for 800 to 1200 on Craigslist so if I can snatch up one of those I can make a little money back parting out what I don't need.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:35 am 

too bad you couldn't find a GSXR 1000 for $800-$1000

if you see 1 jump on it
really popular putting the GSXR 1000 in sand rails and buggies

Profile E-mail