Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 am 

Hey guys, I'm waiting for my FL350 to arrive. Engine is blown so I'm considering a swap right away. Where I live sleds are nonexisting (no snow for thousands of miles). I can easily get a Polaris Scrambler 400 Engine though. It still a 2-stroke and not much more c.c.'s than the Ody but it is rated at 38 HP at 5750 RPM, it is watercooled and parts are cheaper and easier to find. Do you guys think I'll notice a difference? Is it worth the hassle of the swap? Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:49 am 

The Honda Engine turns like 7400 rpm stock? wont you give up a bunch of top speed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 am 

hoser wrote:
The Honda Engine turns like 7400 rpm stock? wont you give up a bunch of top speed?

I don't know how much rpm the honda gives stock and don't have a clue about top speed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 am 

I had a 670 Rotax twin that would rev to 8500rpm, and was down on top speed. It's all in the correct clutching ratio.

One of our buggy group runs a Polaris Sportsman 500 single, 4 stroke. It's rated at 34hp. Run's it through a Scrambler secondary and trans which is 3:1 reduction, and then a chain drive which is 3.6:1, so it is roughly the same reduction as an Oddy. With a comet 94c clutch it was working hard to keep up. With a Polaris primary clutch it picked up nicely and now has no trouble keeping up. It actually works really nice, and his buggy is heavier than an Odyssey.

I say go for it, plan on some clutch trial and error, then we will all know for sure if this Engine is a viable swap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:32 am 

yagua wrote:
hoser wrote:

I don't know how much rpm the honda gives stock and don't have a clue about top speed.

Yes, you'll lose top speed. Ody trans in 9:1 (I think?) can't change that. Only way to change speed is rpm and tire diameter. Could use a jackshaft I guess. I'd rebuild the stocker or do a sled Engine swap unless your up for a major project.make a friend and have it shipped to you. I'm sure the small costs of an ATV Engine swap will really add up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 am 

Ok, big difference then. Talked to FARR-OFFROAD about a rotax Engine but shipping is killing me. I can get it from Miami to my country fairly cheap but from Canada to Miami is 200U$, plus Engine, mount, rad, tank, etc I'm already over 1,000 without even touching the Engine......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41 am 

It's the wrong time of year to buy sleds where I live but provided we don't get enough snow to ride(very likely) I forsee me buying several Rotax sleds for dirt cheap in a couple months. Didn't really snow last year either. If I do I'll be stripping them of all the swap parts and trying to sell them here on the board. Time will tell if I can find the right deals. I'm going to try to make a little something for my time but I won't try to get rich off the buggy community.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 am 

yagua wrote:
Ok, big difference then. Talked to FARR-OFFROAD about a rotax Engine but shipping is killing me. I can get it from Miami to my country fairly cheap but from Canada to Miami is 200U$, plus Engine, mount, rad, tank, etc I'm already over 1,000 without even touching the Engine......

That's going through 2 countries. That guy wants pretty good buck for the engines to. I should be able to buy a couple snowmobiles for the cost of just his Engine. He's got fab skills though. I don't. Sounds like the most cost effective option is to rebuild what you already have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 am 

Ok, I'll wait till May. I'll run it the way it is for now. Thanks guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:54 am 

Rebuilding the blown Oddy Engine may not be so bad, really. If it's a top-end, it'll be $200-$250 for everything (bore/hone, piston kit, gaskets/seals).

Sled Engine is the simplest swap, preferably liquid-cooled (esp for Florida riding). Seems to be quite a few sled engines on evilBay. Or find one on CL in the snowbelt and see if they'd be interested in shipping for an extra few $'s. Look for Rotax 440-467-470-580-670 engines, since there is a decent amount of info out here about the swap. I'm not sure if the Arctic Cat EFI 500-600-700 2-cyl engines will work...there are a couple I eyeballed recently (for simplicity of EFI) for a next build. The F7's are pushing some really good power!

Only thing sucky about buying "an Engine" is that you can get screwed easily. If it's in a chassis and running, not only do you know it works, but you also have all the peripherals to make it run (carbs, fuel pump, wiring, CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)/ECU, intake, coils, etc). Sitting outside of the chassis and sight-unseen...it can be a total turd bomb.

The guys at Farr will charge you more because they did the leg work to find a good, solid Engine. Plus the shipping will be nasty. Heck, it's like $30 just to send some Engine mount plates from there to here in Toledo, OH!!! So I can't even imagine shipping 50+ lbs of Engine to Florida!! It's not them overcharging for s/h, its simply the cost of s/h from way up in Quebec.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 am 

yagua wrote:

Where are you located anyways?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm 

Yep, Farr isn't expensive, but shipping is more than a 3rd of the price... I am actually in Asuncion, Paraguay but I do a lot of business in the states so it's easy (and cheap) for me to buy/import stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:05 am 

I have a Polaris 400 Engine in my Pilot and I would love to tell you how it works but I picked it up as a project with the Engine needing a top end. I have not had time to rebuild it yet but there are lots of mods out there for this Engine:

http://www.hpd-inc.com/400trail.htm

There is a dyno chart on that website that has the top rpm around 6800, from some other sites it looks like it goes 7200 rpm. In this other thread it says the FL350 is good for 7800 - http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6646&view=next

Would it be possible to make up 1k rpm with a larger primary clutch?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 am 

Nope. By simply changing the weights and stall spring you can bring up your final rpm to 7800

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 am 

Spunbearing wrote:

A larger diameter primary clutch would, if set-up correctly, give you a higher tranny input rpm, and therefore higher top speed, while keeping the Engine rpm within its limits.

I re read my previous post and I must correct that the Polaris 500 primary swap was from a Comet Duster clutch, not a 94c, to the Polaris clutch, which is larger in diameter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 pm 

DaveM wrote:
Spunbearing wrote:

A larger diameter primary clutch would, if set-up correctly, give you a higher tranny input rpm, and therefore higher top speed, while keeping the Engine rpm within its limits.

I re read my previous post and I must correct that the Polaris 500 primary swap was from a Comet Duster clutch, not a 94c, to the Polaris clutch, which is larger in diameter.

I thought the 94c was the Duster clutch?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:48 pm 

I converted over to a Scrambler 500. It was not very hard. Bought a running 2001 scrambler and pulled all of the parts that I need. Using the stock clutch off of the scrambler and the stock driven from the Odyssey. Top speed is around 54 mph. Runs great have not a any issues with it in 4 years. Best thing FOR me that I could have done. I just hated dealing with all of the small issues with the 2 stroke and this has been fuel and go!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 pm 

i just got a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) from farroffraod the whole kit it was 1290 with everything the motors was rebuilded the guy does nice work

Profile E-mail