Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 am 

1985 FL350R Odyssey *** SOLD ***

This FL 350 buggy has been restored from the ground up and needs nothing.
It has a current registration with the title in my name and the green sticker is currently good until June of 2015.
Has electric start with reverse.
Has upgraded front and rear suspension with new shocks.
The carb, exhaust pipe, intake, reeds, and clutch have also all been upgraded with new parts.

Has tons of new parts including the following goodies and more:
>35mm Keihin PWK Air Striker Carb (quad vents)
>K&N Air filter on Short Stack Intake
>Boyesen Power Reeds
>DG Racing exhaust LOUD
>Stock Honda exhaust (quieter)
>Works G-Series shocks in the rear
>Progressive 512 series shocks in the front
>Comet 94C clutch
>RPM tachometer gauge on dash
>Speedometer with GPS on dash
>Temperature gauge on dash
>LED spotlights on dash (30 degree long range)
>LED flood lights on roof (60 degree wide beam)
>LED tail light
>New electric starter
>New drive belt
>New 12 volt battery
>New brakes pads front and rear
>New shocks front and rear
>New suspension bushings front and rear
>New wheel bearings front and rear
>New racing harness, Sparco belt pads, and safety restraints
>New dirt tires ( also comes with paddles tires for the sand )
>Freshly rebuilt 350cc Engine with less than 10 hours of run time.

This little cart / mini buggy / sand rail is a blast to drive and is ready to take on any dirt or sand.

Update 9/24/2014 **This buggy is now sold**

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 am 

Pictures of the "before"

Attachments:
odyssey_before.jpg
odyssey_before.jpg [ 54.27 KiB | Viewed 5433 times ]
odyssey_before2.jpg
odyssey_before2.jpg [ 479.82 KiB | Viewed 5433 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 am 

welcome to the site

where u located?

run?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 am 

The good:
--Electric starter works and it came with a brand new battery.
--It starts and it idles using the electric starter.
--Came with an X1 superwinch already mounted.
--Came with Douglas rims up front.
--UNI Filter installed.

The bad:
--The rear suspension was converted to a dual shock setup and all four of the extra long, extra expensive rear shocks appears to be totally shot. They are all leaking fluid at the bottom and the bushings are all basically non-existent. (see pics)
--The pull cable for starting it manually broke an hour before I got there to test drive it.

The ugly:
--The front brakes were converted by the previous owner to use two seperate master cylinders from another machine mounted right on the steering wheel and the stock master cylinder is missing along with the stock brake handles. One of the replacement master cylinders is leaking out of the glass window. Anyone have an odyssey FL350 master cylinder for sale?? (see pics)
--The ignition switch has been rigged so you can shove a screwdriver in the hole and turn it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 am 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
The good:
--Electric starter works and it came with a brand new battery.
--It starts and it idles using the electric starter.
--Came with an X1 superwinch already mounted.
--Came with Douglas rims up front.
--UNI Filter installed.

The bad:
--The rear suspension was converted to a dual shock setup and all four of the extra long, extra expensive rear shocks appears to be totally shot. They are all leaking fluid at the bottom and the bushings are all basically non-existent. (see pics)
--The pull cable for starting it manually broke an hour before I got there to test drive it.

The ugly:
--The front brakes were converted by the previous owner to use two seperate master cylinders from another machine mounted right on the steering wheel and the stock master cylinder is missing along with the stock brake handles. One of the replacement master cylinders is leaking out of the glass window. Anyone have an odyssey FL350 master cylinder for sale?? (see pics)
--The ignition switch has been rigged so you can shove a screwdriver in the hole and turn it.

the whole dual rear suspenchion will unbolt dosent look welded

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 am 

B S wrote:
welcome to the site

where u located?

run?

Hey thanks for the welcome. I am in Redding but graduated from Chico. Just saw you are from there, nice! Awesome place, small world.

Yes it runs- it just doesnt stop yet hahaha I need a FL350 master cylinder to go with the stock levers I just ordered off of ebay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:45 am 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
B S wrote:
welcome to the site

where u located?

run?

Hey thanks for the welcome. I am in Redding but graduated from Chico. Just saw you are from there, nice! Awesome place, small world.

Yes it runs- it just doesnt stop yet hahaha I need a FL350 master cylinder to go with the stock levers I just ordered off of ebay.

small world

another guy from redding lol

how much u get her for

i saw it on craigs list last week

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 am 

Looks like a good start.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:49 pm 

jason702v wrote:
Hey welcome. Redding here too. I saw that on there too. Looks like a good start. I don't have any spares yet though I just bought my first ody a month or so ago too

Hey wow small world, does your ody run?

We are heading out to the Chappie OHV Saturday on the quads for a ride up Copley Mountain. I ride a black yamaha warrior with Maier fenders and I will be with my buddy who rides a Banshee with "race cut" fenders. My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/noah44444 if you wanna checkout some of our riding videos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:55 pm 

So Fatcat is shipping me a master cylinder and steering wheel setup tomorrow. (thanks man you are a lifesaver)

I got some progressive shocks coming from ebay and amazon.

I found a cheap four wire chinese ignition switch on ebay to replace the jacked up one.

Thanks for everyone who responded and helped get this project "rolling" :-)

Tonight I am stripping her naked and going to town with a wire wheel to eliminate any rust then covering bare spots with primer.
Anyone know of a red spray paint I could use to touch up with that matches the Honda Red? If not I might just go with a different color.

Now I am on the hunt for a pull cable rope. Suggestions appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 pm 

As far as the shocks go, it looks like you are at the point of desperation and have to buy the progressives.

Please post pictures of the progressive rear shocks when you get them. Also could you get a measurement of the exposed shaft length (bottom of the shock body to the bottom of the spring)?

Also if you could, please post pictures of the upper and lower shock mounts (once you removed them). There are several shocks from vehicles that are the same weight as the Ody however, they are all too long. If someone had designed a good upper mount that was a bolt on, the longer shocks just might be worth the money. I'm just curious as to exactly how the upper of the two shocks are mounted.

Thanks Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:25 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
So Fatcat is shipping me a master cylinder and steering wheel setup tomorrow. (thanks man you are a lifesaver)

I found a cheap four wire chinese ignition switch on ebay to replace the jacked up one.

Tonight I am stripping her naked and going to town with a wire wheel to eliminate any rust then covering bare spots with primer.
Anyone know of a red spray paint I could use to touch up with that matches the Honda Red? If not I might just go with a different color.

Rustoleum sunrise red. Almost an exact match. Should be able to buy pull rope cord from your local dealership by the foot. Don't buy cheapo stuff for that. They take some umph to pull. Especially if you start doing performance mods later.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm 

Randman wrote:
As far as the shocks go, it looks like you are at the point of desperation and have to buy the progressives.

Please post pictures of the progressive rear shocks when you get them. Also could you get a measurement of the exposed shaft length (bottom of the shock body to the bottom of the spring)?

Also if you could, please post pictures of the upper and lower shock mounts (once you removed them). There are several shocks from vehicles that are the same weight as the Ody however, they are all too long. If someone had designed a good upper mount that was a bolt on, the longer shocks just might be worth the money. I'm just curious as to exactly how the upper of the two shocks are mounted.

Thanks Rand

Desperation? Um, are the Progressives really that bad?

I with measure everything tonight and post back here with the results.

I will take some pictures of the mounts once they are removed.

I am trying to figure out if there is anything I am missing from the top portion where the stock shocks mounted or if I will need to buy the stock upper mount again to mount my new progressive 12.5" shocks.

Heading to the Honda shop at lunchtime to see if they have a pull cable for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm 

I got dibs on the rear stuff he removes :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
SomeGuyFromCali wrote:

Rustoleum sunrise red. Almost an exact match. Should be able to buy pull rope cord from your local dealership by the foot. Don't buy cheapo stuff for that. They take some umph to pull. Especially if you start doing performance mods later.

Awesome thanks for the tip on the paint! Sounds like she will stay red after all then as I didnt really want to rattle can the entire thing and there is no way I afford a powder coating right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
SomeGuyFromCali wrote:

Buy some dymeanum cord for pull rope
People use it as wintch rope

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:01 pm 

So where exactly do the stock shocks mount then?? Please see the new picture below.
Are my arrows pointing at the correct location?

When I measure that distance it is about 12.5 inches which seems correct for the stock shocks.
The two old blown out shocks are at least 14-15 inches. I was using a t-square to take a quick measure last time but will take closer measurements tonight with a tape.

I read somewhere I could install a strap should the u-joints ever fail so I don't destroy my new shocks.
Anybody know more about that? Where do you mount the straps?

Attachments:
shock_question.jpg
shock_question.jpg [ 413.37 KiB | Viewed 5377 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
So where exactly do the stock shocks mount then?? Please see the new picture below.

When I measure that distance it is about 12.5 inches which seems correct for the stock shocks.
The two old blown out shocks are at least 14-15 inches. I was using a t-square to take a quick measure last time but will take closer measurements tonight with a tape.

I read somewhere I could install a strap should the u-joints ever fail so I don't destroy my new shocks.

The stock ones bolt right to the frame. Under those brackets. See v

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 162.91 KiB | Viewed 5376 times ]
File comment: Pic sucks ass but squint and compare to above
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 33.08 KiB | Viewed 5376 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randman wrote:

Thanks Rand

Desperation? Um, are the Progressives really that bad?

I with measure everything tonight and post back here with the results.

I will take some pictures of the mounts once they are removed.

I am trying to figure out if there is anything I am missing from the top portion where the stock shocks mounted or if I will need to buy the stock upper mount again to mount my new progressive 12.5" shocks.

Heading to the Honda shop at lunchtime to see if they have a pull cable for me.

How this, Progressives are no worse than the stock Showa shocks!

The ride is pretty stiff with either the progressives or the factory Showa shocks. If you are small stature person, then they will be very stiff. If your a fat guy like me (Ha HA) then it isn't quite so bad. Where you really notice the difference is the rebound of the shock. If you land hard enough, the rear end will bounce back off the ground hence the term "Pogo Stick".

The upper factory shock mount is merely a bolt which runs through the top of the shock and into the frame. The bolt someone used in your application might be a little longer than the stock upper shock bolt. It looks like the double shock support someone has made is using the upper stock shock bolt to hold the bracket.

The lower shock mount is in the lowest part of the swing arm. The lower of the 2 shocks looks to be mounted in the factory location.

Where did you find rear progressive Ody shocks from? As far as I know they have been discontinued for quite some time. I have looked at a couple of sites and they say the shocks are for the rear when in fact they are the shorter front shock. As far as rear shock length, the length eye to eye is 15.25 inches. Anything longer than that and the universal joints will bind.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 pm 

Looks like the shorter of the 2 is in the stock location. Bracket there to hold the longer shock??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:

The stock location appears to be where the "blue" shock of yours is. It looks like the piece that the second shock bolts to down on the trailing arm is custom as well. if you wanted stock pieces i have a pair of them i powdercoated black.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:30 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
SomeGuyFromCali wrote:

The stock location appears to be where the "blue" shock of yours is. It looks like the piece that the second shock bolts to down on the trailing arm is custom as well. if you wanted stock pieces i have a pair of them i powdercoated black.

Thanks I might just take you up on those powder coated ones if I can't make it work with what I have now. I think everything is there to go back to stock with what I have now and I'd like to hang onto the aftermarket brackets for now just in case the progressives down workout and I need to return them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:35 pm 

Welcome to the site.... Another Cali guy,,,,

Looks like you have a good project on you hands.... Soon as you get it together, we will have to get together for a ride...

Interesting setup you have on the rear suspension....

Dune Dart

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:35 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Looks like the shorter of the 2 is in the stock location. Bracket there to hold the longer shock??

Thanks for the pics its pretty clear I can just unbolt the upper bracket but I am still not sure what all is stock on the lower portion.
Hard to make out with the black and white manual diagrams.
Please see this new picture, which one is the stock mounting spot?

Attachments:
shock_question2.jpg
shock_question2.jpg [ 358 KiB | Viewed 4614 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

Thanks for the pics its pretty clear I can just unbolt the upper bracket but I am still not sure what all is stock on the lower portion.
Hard to make out with the black and white manual diagrams.
Please see this new picture, which one is the stock mounting spot?

Lower. The higher one is a bolt on. Will be easy to remove. It's a little tougher to find gold duct oleum but its a good match for stock also. Depends on what you like. I think Honda nailed the stock color combo on the 350.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next