Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:49 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randman wrote:
I got my pipe from Fat Cat who is no longer on the forums.

I'm not sure if you can even by them new anymore. If I remember right when they were still making pipes for the Fl350 & 400 there was like a 6 month wait.

The DG pipe is poor quality and will require a different silencer to be Comifornia legal. Here is picture of the install of my FMF Quiet Core II to make it legal.

Rand

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and got a DG ordered anyhow since it doesnt look like there are many other options out there. I don't mind adding a FMF to make it legal down the road.

Do you mind if I ask what reeds you run and do you use that extra metal guide piece that goes over the pedals?

Called Boyesen and asked them. The lady said no, don't use the stock reed stops just bolt the 607 on there and go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:34 pm 

I'm still running stock reeds.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:47 pm 

Randman wrote:
I'm still running stock reeds.

Rand

But do you have the curved stock reed stops on there that go over the pedals?
The guy I got this one from has the stock steel reeds too but he wasn't running the stops over them.
I noticed when I took it all apart that they don't sit flat anymore which is why I am changing them out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:49 pm 

If they are not broken - just flip em.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 pm 

rmesser wrote:
If they are not broken - just flip em.

I thought about doing that but don't want to run them if they are bent.
I would like to try a two stage reed out anyhow and feel the difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35 am 

The guy says the 35mm Keihin PWK I just bought comes with a 160 main jet and 48 pilot jet.
The stock FL350R 32mm Keihin PE carb that I just pulled off has a 142 main jet and 45 pilot jet.

Should I test the PWK out with the 160 main or switch to the 142 main for my first trial run?
This might be a questions for Keihin...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:12 am 

160 might be high. But I wouldn't put a 142 back in. With the bigger carb your adding more air so you will need more fuel as well

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 am 

You could try the 160 but it may be a waste of time. When I changedy carb that's exactly what I did Andy buggy smoked like crazy and wouldn't go over 10 mph... Ha ha, maybe rejet first so you don't waste time? I would if I did it all over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 pm 

fully wrote:
160 might be high. But I wouldn't put a 142 back in. With the bigger carb your adding more air so you will need more fuel as well

appreciate the tip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:39 pm 

Randy J. wrote:
You could try the 160 but it may be a waste of time. When I changedy carb that's exactly what I did Andy buggy smoked like crazy and wouldn't go over 10 mph... Ha ha, maybe rejet first so you don't waste time? I would if I did it all over.

I have a 148 I can try and then from there the next size up I have is a 180.
Might call the honda shop today and see if they have any jets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:01 pm 

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/BillGivensjetting.htm
Jetting from the bottom to the top! by Bill Givens

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:46 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
No buggies in these shots but this if you are interested in the riding spot I was at Saturday this is the same area on Sunday but at a higher elevation.

Holy crap that view is spectacular!
great video too!
What are you using to edit your videos and put those great graphics on it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:00 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

A 148 might even be too small. If memory serves me right, I'm running a 162 with the 36mm PWK, Power Pro's pipe and an open filter system.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:08 pm 

nice riding area them pics look like a painting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

fyi, i havent had much luck finding jets at any honda dealers.... I usually find them at harley repair shops or motorcycle shops and usually cheaper too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:19 am 

Randy J. wrote:
SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

fyi, i havent had much luck finding jets at any honda dealers.... I usually find them at harley repair shops or motorcycle shops and usually cheaper too.

I found it cheaper to just buy a jet kit, havent bought one in years think rockymountainATV had them the cheapest then, I bought 2 kits to cover about all sizes you would ever need, you can shop around see who is cheapest, now days might be just as cheap to buy them one at a time so you can pick the exact sizes you need?

I always try to stick with the genuine jets because the after market brands don't flow the same because they are machined differently, hole size and length of the metered hole is different than genuine keihn even the height where the metered hole is located in the jet is different than the genuine jets. The off brand jets will work its just a pain swapping to the next sized jet in a different brand only to discover no change then have to change again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:20 pm 

The 35mm PWK comes in tomorrow. I already made sure it would work with my stock sized manifold by borrowing the 35mm PWK off of my Yamaha Banshee 350.
Here we see the two undergoing temporary heart surgery. I have new reeds coming in this week as well so decided to wait on the 35 mm install until they come in.
Spent some time on the wiring and safety harness.

When the carb does come these are the extra main jets I have available, I forgot about another jet kit I had laying around for a 4 stroke 450 which also has a Keihin carb on it. I also like to use the authentic Keihin jets whenever I can for the same reason Hoser mentioned above.

Here are my available pilot jets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:26 pm 

Took the tape off and got the pull cord housing all sealed up using heath shrink as suggested. It is over 1" wide but if you stretch 1" tubing with a pair of pliers it will fit snuggly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:32 pm 

Nice job on that recoil renovation! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:24 pm 

Randman wrote:
SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

A 148 might even be too small. If memory serves me right, I'm running a 162 with the 36mm PWK, Power Pro's pipe and an open filter system.

Rand

Rand I appreciate that tid bit of information. I happen to have a 162 although it isn't a real Keihin is should be in the same ballpark.
I am going to be running an open filter and DG pipe. Do you have any porting done and what size bore are you running?
Also what elevation are you riding at over there?

Considering going with a 170 main to start and just doing a test drive around the block a few times.

What size pilot are you running in your 36mm PWK carb?

My new carb and reeds are coming in the mail today but they haven't even shipped my DG pipe yet! Frustrating!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:29 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Nice job on that recoil renovation! :-)

Thanks! I am pretty happy with the way it came out! Hopefully since the starter mod is done I won't need to use it unless I kill my battery but nice having it there just in case!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randman wrote:
SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

Rand

Rand I appreciate that tid bit of information. I happen to have a 162 although it isn't a real Keihin is should be in the same ballpark.
I am going to be running an open filter and DG pipe. Do you have any porting done and what size bore are you running?

Considering going with a 170 main to start and just doing a test drive around the block a few times.

My new carb and reeds are coming in the mail today but they haven't even shipped my DG pipe yet! Frustrating!

For baseline jetting you might call carbparts.com or sudco.com tell them what you have ask them for a jetting baseline.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:30 pm 

SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randman wrote:
SomeGuyFromCali wrote:
Randy J. wrote:

Rand

I have no porting and the bore is at 80mm.
Clutch is a 102c and engages at around 3800rpm.
The pipe as I mentioned is a Power Pro's.
Intake is an open pod system.

Elevation here is 5000 feet.

Note that you may loose some bottom end grunt running a open filter system. I run the dunes and fire roads so the throttle is wide open quite often so I don't need the bottom end grunt. You need to make sure that you get plenty of filtration on that open filter system. Mine is triple wrapped to keep the crap out.

As far as the pilot jet size, I don't remember.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 am 

Today was full of surprises.

First of all, the guy I bought the "35mm" carb off of shipped me a 33mm Keihin instead, they do have the body dimensions other than the inner diameter. He has agreed to refund the money tonight when he get's back to a computer. Confirmed what I was looking at with the outside diameter measurements listed here http://www.keihin-na.com/aftermarket/pwk/

Then I take the calipers over to the Keihin PE that came with my Ugly FL350 and discover it is not a stock carb after all! :shock: Confirmed the outside diameter measurements listed here http://www.keihin-na.com/aftermarket/pe/

Attachments:
36mm_PE_carb.jpg
36mm_PE_carb.jpg [ 31.79 KiB | Viewed 1183 times ]
35mm_vs_33mm_PWK.jpg
35mm_vs_33mm_PWK.jpg [ 54.42 KiB | Viewed 1183 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 am 

Well there ya go!

You don't even need the new carb! Money for another goodie!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next