Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 pm 

Hi everyone, this would be my second post on here and I figured I should share my project with you guys. About 6 months ago I traded an older jetski and $500 bucks for a fl350 that a guy put a 583 rotax in. All in all it cost me about $1700 for it and I always wanted an odyssey with suspension (had a back breaker fl250 years ago) or a pilot so I got it. brought it home and put some gas in it and pulled the mess out of it and finally go it to run, ran horribly but it was good enough for me, I had to hop in and take it down the street. Gurgled down the street blowing a fog of smoke behind me but it was still fun. It wouldn't rev out and was fouling the plugs, turns out the guy had no idea of the way these motors work and was just dumping oil into the inlets where the injector WAS. So it beats me as to how it even ran. I did a compression check and it only had like 60psi so off to the shop it went. I had the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) bored over, cleaned up the ports got some new pistons and all that jazz and polished it up, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is now done.

Meanwhile as I was waiting for the p istons to come from canada... :| (previously) I decided I didn't want the J-Arms so I did an A-Arm conversion using trx450r parts. Got the arms all mounted and tubes bent and geometry right on the spindles, now came the fun steering part. I had some YFZ tierods laying around and the tierods from the 450r so that worked out nicely. The YFZ rods were the perfect length to the pivot point and the 450r rods I cut down, along with the stock odyssey rods, slipped a tube over them and welded to length. As far as hooking it all together I had to do a lot of bracket making and testing, but finally came out with the best of both worlds and made my brackets out of some 3/8" aluminum plate, drilled the holes and put in a 1/2" bushing at the pivot point as to not wear out my brackets. Steering works really well, and I have 10" of usable travel now I'm just waiting on my fox 2.0 air shocks.

I got all the front end done (except for my upper shock mounts) so I started back at the rear again and I put my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) back in for a final fitment before I paint everything and I notice that its not lined up correctly. The guy that did the conversion had it about 3/4" too far to the right, he had the wrong side of the clutch sheaves lined up. I noticed this and I have to cut the mount loose and move it over some to fix it, yet to do however, its on the list.

Lately I've been doing most of the easy stuff, I got my new dual core aluminum radiator, and 5 Gal spun fuel tank, new ITP ss112 wheels all the way around, and made my fan shroud because I didn't like the way people mounted them through the radiator with zip strips. I made the shroud out of some sheet steel I had laying around and painted it black. Another thing I had to do is modify the master cylinder. The rear brake side was stripped out so I converted it to a banjo bolt set up, and now it actually runs the front brakes instead. (I know their a little different but eh that's ok lol) I ordered a exhaust pipe from a guy who makes conversions on ebay and it should be here in a little over a week, the pipe I had didn't fit very well and had a YFZ muffler on it and was noisy and ugly.

I'm posting alot of pics of what I have done so far.

Attachments:
P1013286.JPG
P1013286.JPG [ 115.09 KiB | Viewed 2388 times ]
P1013287.JPG
P1013287.JPG [ 97.65 KiB | Viewed 2388 times ]
P1013289.JPG
P1013289.JPG [ 104.67 KiB | Viewed 2388 times ]
P1013355.JPG
P1013355.JPG [ 80.57 KiB | Viewed 2388 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:09 pm 

more pics (no real order), the better looking stuff is newer haha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:23 pm 

Looks really nice.....welcome to the board.....are you going to put some protection around the fuel tank?

Nice fab skills!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm 

nice fab work!! i like the speedometer idea!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 am 

thanks guys, and I got a new tank. that was a plastic 8x33 6.5 gallon and I got a 10x16 5 gal spun aluminum tank. it has to be skinny because Im putting fox shocks on the rear also and they will be tall

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 am 

Cool project!

Did you get your head pipe from Farr Offroad?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am 

yeah a pipe and silencer from him

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm 

brandonTKZ wrote:
yeah a pipe and silencer from him

Nice. I'll probably end up doing the same for my Rotax 470 if I can't get my sled's pipe modified to work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 pm 

Yeah the reason I bought one is because the pipe the guy bent on this mod made it a little too wide and when I pull the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) over that inch I'd have to cut the pipe down and pull it in. do I decided I'd get a nice finished pipe with a silencer too $275 seemed like a steal to me. $100 shipping kinda stunk though :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:34 pm 

nice work wish i could fab like you i had to buy everything and have peolpe do all my fab work but anyways real good work

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:35 pm 

Looking good, keep it up!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm 

been a while sadly but I'm back to it now, here's a few pictures of the shock mounts in progress and a few other things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am 

I like this thread a lot! Keep it coming!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 pm 

thanks, I took a little brake as i broke my leg, but all healed up now and im itching to ride it so im on a mad drive to finish it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 am 

Ok why are you using such long stroke shocks when you will never use it? Max stroke for the rear that is useable is 4 1/2 inches and the front before tierod bind is 51/2. Your gonna create more work by having to put in a bump stop for the front and rear. I don't understand please explain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:21 pm 

I used that size shock on the front because it laid out in a good position for me. An as far as the back goes I use the large shocks because this is my personal buggy that eventually I'm going to to a cv conversion to. And the shocks cost the same no matter the length and I personally like the way they look. Very intimidating even if it is only using a 1/3 of it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:39 pm 

well the rear shocks were mounted too low (noob lol) so we fixed the upper mounts and their in stock shock position now posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=11646#

I abandoned the front shock mounts I originally made and modified them to what the final product is now. goes through travel perfectly :) sits like a little pre-runner with no driver, but levels out with me in it. I designed it to where the top bar is at 0 degrees with me in it.

mounted the tank and headlights today, getting there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:19 pm 

Nice work!!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 am 

Hey BS, what year is the Z1?

I had one that looked just like it. It was a tank but one fast friggin tank!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:41 am 

Randman wrote:
Hey BS, what year is the Z1?

I had one that looked just like it. It was a tank but one fast friggin tank!

Rand

what?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:43 am 

I think Rand is losing it. I bet he thought this was your thread lol

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:44 am 

shoubadaba wrote:

that's what i think

i wish i was this far along

brandon what is the radiator out of?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 am 

Are you going to put a cross-brace from upper shock mount to upper shock mount up front? Seems like a pretty big moment arm (i.e. length of mount) pushing up&in on those welds.

Looks like an extreme machine! Lovin' these Rotax builds!!! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 am 

shoubadaba wrote:

Losing it? :shock:

I never had it! :-)

Yep, I though this was BS's thread. This is what happens to your mind when you get old! After age 50 its all down hill from here!

DOOH!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am 

haha the 1000 is a 1977, 1075cc with 29 smoothbores and machined heads, 145hp tank lol.

and the shock mounts are cut from 1/4 steel plate welded both inside and out, i think they will hold alright, if I notice any stress I'll do something about it though.

and the radiator is out of a honda del sol, (I think civics are the same) $50 off ebay

Profile E-mail