Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 am 

Drum brakes suck! LOL :-)

I've been fighting them on VW's for around 20 years now. The ones on my 66 VW work great.....the ones on my Ody SUCK! It is a good possibility that its the design of the master cylinder. My rear brakes work fantastic!

I've actually given thought to putting a foot brake pedal in my ody.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:26 am 

Mine sucked to. Pretty sure I didn't have the cables adjusted properly or the master cylinder bled right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:40 am 

I've gone through mine at least 5 times and I still hate drum brakes. The only thing I haven't changed is the wheel cylinders which are unavailable. I'm even thinking about changing my bug over to disk brakes.

Funny this is both the wife's and Kolby's Ody will lock up the front brakes on asphalt!

By the way did you hear the one about the Moron who thought asphalt was a rectal problem? :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 am 

Randman wrote:
I've gone through mine at least 5 times and I still hate drum brakes. The only thing I haven't changed is the wheel cylinders which are unavailable. I'm even thinking about changing my bug over to disk brakes.

Funny this is both the wife's and Kolby's Ody will lock up the front brakes on asphalt!

By the way did you hear the one about the Moron who thought asphalt was a rectal problem? :-)

Rand

Lol was it this guy?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 40.75 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:25 pm 

Randman wrote:

Rand

Whats not working with yours?

They adjusted properly leading shoe should contact the drum first, when your done adjusting it should be almost hard to turn the tire and rim yes they should be rubbing slightly.

How well does the shoes match the drums?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:30 pm 

Randman wrote:
Drum brakes suck! LOL :-)

I've been fighting them on VW's for around 20 years now. The ones on my 66 VW work great.....the ones on my Ody SUCK! It is a good possibility that its the design of the master cylinder. My rear brakes work fantastic!

I've actually given thought to putting a foot brake pedal in my ody.

Rand

have you replaced the rubber brake lines in the front ?
i know they will stretch over the years
mine has the SS brake lines and i can lock the front up

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:05 pm 

hoser wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

They adjusted properly leading shoe should contact the drum first, when your done adjusting it should be almost hard to turn the tire and rim yes they should be rubbing slightly.

Shoes match the drums just fine and the contact area of the shoe contacts the drum fully. Like I said before, I am no stranger to drum brakes and am aware of how to adjust them. I suspect the piston in the wheel cylinder is a little sloppy on the left front wheel. The right front wheel locks up just fine.

I have a low hour parts Ody in the garage that I am going to steel a wheel cylinder from.

BS, where did you get you braided lines from and do you have the part numbers for the fittings and hoses? I did my rear brake lines but I haven't got around to the front yet.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 pm 

Randman wrote:
hoser wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

Shoes match the drums just fine and the contact area of the shoe contacts the drum fully. Like I said before, I am no stranger to drum brakes and am aware of how to adjust them. I suspect the piston in the wheel cylinder is a little sloppy on the left front wheel. The right front wheel locks up just fine.

I have a low hour parts Ody in the garage that I am going to steel a wheel cylinder from.

BS, where did you get you braided lines from and do you have the part numbers for the fittings and hoses? I did my rear brake lines but I haven't got around to the front yet.

Rand

They were on my odyssey when I bought it
I have seen a kit on eBay a while back not sure if they still sell it
I can lock my front up easly

My yellow one I just sold I could not lock it up for the life of me

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:17 am 

Well I figured I better get my butt in gear on this. I borrowed the impact screwdriver from my dad and went to town on those screws. It's a no go. Going to stop before I break something. Just wanted to pull it apart to paint it. Pure cosmetics and Gary is putting this on a rider anyway. I finally dug the rest of the old sight glasses out. That was the hardest part in changing these. For future reference for anyone doing this be careful with removal. You could easily damage the metal piece that sits behind the glass. I had to get creative getting the bulk of the old one out. A dental pick would work great but rather than driving a half hour to my dads to borrow one I straighted a fish hook and heated it on the stove. Once I melted a hole through it I got a baby screwdriver in there to clean the bulk of it out. I had this done from a couple months ago. Just used the baby flathead today to finish getting them out. I seriously need to get some glasses for this kind of work. The new sight glasses fit perfectly. Almost a snap in fit. I then used a toothpick to put some clear silicone around the outer edge. I'm not sure how happy I am with my results. Once it dries I'll stand it up and fill both reservoirs. Let it sit overnight and check for leaks. I'll be honest. I'm pretty clumsy when it comes to stuff this technical. Lots of you guys could probably do a very very good job at this. Plus it will protect the plastic you can't buy anymore. My biggest worry would've been to pick up a leak just sitting in the garage. Would screw up the plastic before I ever noticed it. Anyway. That's all for today folks. More to come soon.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 46.77 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 50.71 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:18 pm 

Looks great! nice work