Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:22 pm 

Well, rand and I finally are digging in to my paper weight. About to intall a jacketed cylinder and head. Pulled the piston, and this is what it looked like..

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.99 KiB | Viewed 2098 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 57.06 KiB | Viewed 2098 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.41 KiB | Viewed 2098 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:56 am 

No wonder you couldnt pull the pull start when we stopped! Good luck with the rebuild. Get it together and lets ride again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 am 

Yup that's what mine looked like too. Both oddy motors TWICE each.
Hope I got it figured out now. Put bilge fan on head and one fan next to exhaust blowing toward the exhaust briged area. Will find out as soon as weather up here gets better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:10 am 

Hope you did an air leak test BEFORE rippin' it apart?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 pm 

Baz, as far as the leak down, she blew air like on old hooker!

We pulled the head when we were at the dunes where it happened. When we got back to the shop, we put it back together but we didn't get a good seal on the head gasket and the majority of the air was coming from there. We'll be putting on a new water cooled cylinder and head and we'll pressure test again once the top end is on. If we have to do main seals its not difficult to do with the bottom end assembled.

I'll be able to get a better idea what went wrong after I can pressure test again with the new head and cylinder.

Randiestman

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:47 pm 

Randman wrote:

We pulled the head when we were at the dunes where it happened. When we got back to the shop, we put it back together but we didn't get a good seal on the head gasket and the majority of the air was coming from there. We'll be putting on a new water cooled cylinder and head and we'll pressure test again once the top end is on. If we have to do main seals its not difficult to do with the bottom end assembled.

I'll be able to get a better idea what went wrong after I can pressure test again with the new head and cylinder.

Randiestman

Could you pressure test the water jacket? If you can I'd recommend doing so. I had a hell of a time with leaking head gaskets. I think I could've prevented it by testing it with air first. Maybe not. Only seemed to leak when it was running. I'm about afraid to take the head off now that its sealed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Randman wrote:

Randiestman

Could you pressure test the water jacket? If you can I'd recommend doing so. I had a hell of a time with leaking head gaskets. I think I could've prevented it by testing it with air first. Maybe not. Only seemed to leak when it was running. I'm about afraid to take the head off now that its sealed.

I kinda wish I would of not pulled the head at dumont, but I was dying to know what was wrong. Turns out we wouldn't know till we saw the cylinder. But the plan is to try to leak down the jacket.. I'm dying to know how much more power this thing has with the porting done also..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 pm 

Well parts are rolling in so hopefully we can start to put this top end together this weekend.

Just received his base spacer needed because of the top of the cylinder being decked. I got the spacer from Lani at http://www.coppergaskets.us" ."... Lani did an excellent job and a fast turn around. Price was reasonable at 25 bucks shipped.

Rand

Attachments:
Kolby's Base Spacer 001 (2).jpg
Kolby's Base Spacer 001 (2).jpg [ 35.43 KiB | Viewed 1976 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 pm 

Yeah! That looks damn good!! Now if that damn piston would get here, so I can go bore it. Still need to order a vapor in the next few weeks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 pm 

What's the cylinder look like?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 pm 

Cylinder has only a slight amount of aluminum built up on it with no gouging.

A little muriatic acid and a hone and she should be ready for another 80.5mm piston! But as mentioned before, we are using a water jacketed cylinder.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:42 pm 

Any more progress on this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm 

Randman wrote:

A little muriatic acid and a hone and she should be ready for another 80.5mm piston! But as mentioned before, we are using a water jacketed cylinder.

Rand

Want to see a photo of it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 pm 

Got the cylinder bored, honed and chamfered for the new piston.

We are going to put it together this weekend and do the leak down test to find out if the crank seals are any good.

After that I will pressure up the water jacket and head to make sure it doesn't leak.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:48 pm 

B S wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

Want to see a photo of it

Come on over..... you can take as many pictures as you like! :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:51 pm 

it cost me too much to drive over there man 13 miles a gallon aint the best

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 pm 

OUCH!

I'll see if I can get my camera to work tonight.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm 

Good plan on air testing the water jacket. Not sure if it would've helped on mine but better to find an issue on the bench. Mine only leaded when it was running. The compression would blow the top right off my overflow bottle. Ghetto fabbed the coolant bottle into a better spot(lid pointing away from me. Got to wear the hot coolant the first time it blew off. Not fun when your strapped to the seat. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 pm 

BS here's ridindirtys Engine. Very similar to mine but sounds like it has more mods done to it. 80.5. I'm jealous. Lots of life left before A sleeve.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 119.9 KiB | Viewed 1905 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Good plan on air testing the water jacket. Not sure if it would've helped on mine but better to find an issue on the bench. Mine only leaded when it was running. The compression would blow the top right off my overflow bottle. Ghetto fabbed the coolant bottle into a better spot(lid pointing away from me. Got to wear the hot coolant the first time it blew off. Not fun when your strapped to the seat. :shock:

Getting drenched in hot anti freeze Ain't fun

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 pm 

Well I really hope I can start putting that thing together this weekend!! Been pulling 12 + hours at work.. All these hours I'm working and still I am wondering why I ain't got no money...

Prolly end up putting it together and doing a leak down.. Hopefully it doesn't leak.. If so... Looks like we're Tearing into the bottom end.. I got no doubt rand will hook me up!! I'm still a rookie in the building aspect..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 pm 

Alrighty!! Starting to finally make progress on putting this m o t o r (Internal Combustion Motor) back together.. Leak down is done. Mounted Engine and got the pipe mounted. Shouldn't be too much longer till we can fire her up..

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 73.46 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 62.92 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:50 am 

lookin good! hope it runs as good as it looks. cant wait to get another trip planned with you and Rand!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
lookin good! hope it runs as good as it looks. cant wait to get another trip planned with you and Rand!

It should run like a SOB. Hopefully we can start getting her broke in, in the next couple of weeks. I bought a trail tech vapor I want to start installing this weekend.. The only thing I really WANT that I think I need is a reserve tank.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 am 

Looks good. Do a compression test before the first fire as well.