Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:23 am 

I am dying of curiosity to find out what the compression will be with .060" squish.

Just remember that we are at 5000 feet so the true seal level reading will have to add around 20 psi. Shooting for around 140....with my fingers crossed!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 pm 

WoW... Nice and shiny.... I like the way the cylinder and head looks together, nice work..... Can't wait to ride at Dumont again... Dune Dart...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm 

toby wrote:
WoW... Nice and shiny.... I like the way the cylinder and head looks together, nice work..... Can't wait to ride at Dumont again... Dune Dart...

"Nice and shiny"

YES and locking more heat into the Engine, sand blast it and paint it black and it will dissipate MORE heat make the Engine run cooler last longer down side is you lose all the bling homo appearance and they will probably take off points at the next show and shine contest :-)

Ever notice they paint, anodize, stain, powder coat MOST heat sinks on electrical and electronic equipment, the JAPS paint the inside of their engines BLACK including most valve covers and oil pans because black dissipates heat better/faster removing heat from vital components, its a extra expense but its what puts some above the rest.

Think about it who cares what color the heat sinks inside your TV are why the expense of making them black on critical components??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:33 pm 

I like nice and shiney keep up the good work the radiators black

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:12 pm 

I'm pretty happy how its turned out so far. I think it looks way cool.. Thanks again shoubadaba for the set up!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:45 pm 

I have sandblasted the stock head and cylinder on the wife's Ody and it cools well. It was nice to remove the 28 years worth of crap that was built up on the cylinder and head. Anyway.....this one is going to stay nice and shinny! Water cooling is there to dissipate the heat, don't need to worry about black paint.

I am going to finish up the new fuel lines on her tonight, install the new 38mm Mikuni TM and then look to remount the electrical.

Once I have her ready to fire, I will do a compression test cold then start heat cycles.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 pm 

Randman wrote:
I have sandblasted the stock head and cylinder on the wife's Ody and it cools well. It was nice to remove the 28 years worth of crap that was built up on the cylinder and head. Anyway.....this one is going to stay nice and shinny! Water cooling is there to dissipate the heat, don't need to worry about black paint.

I am going to finish up the new fuel lines on her tonight, install the new 38mm Mikuni TM and then look to remount the electrical.

Once I have her ready to fire, I will do a compression test cold then start heat cycles.

Rand

I keep forgetting you guys live in the land of bling haha reminds me all the times I heard "sure looks good setting their" (TM stoneman) when guys broke down and was towed back to camp then later followed by "too bad you didnt spend some time on the important things" (TM stoneman) you would love stoneman he is a gas haha always giving words and phrases of encouragement no matter how bad things get in the pits and camp :-)

Sorry for trying to add useful info you keep polishing :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 am 

RidinDirty wrote:
Alrighty!! Starting to finally make progress on putting this m o t o r (Internal Combustion Motor) (Internal Combustion motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))) back together.. Leak down is done. Mounted Engine and got the pipe mounted. Shouldn't be too much longer till we can fire her up..

with that much bling bling at least go for some SS bolts it would look a whole lot better

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... ?sku=73471
not sure of your length but if your polishing it y not make it look better

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:15 pm 

Now that I've been thinking about it.. Since apparently Some people think I'm going for "bling". Cause Nevada is full of "bling". I might as well take it all apart and have it all chromed out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 pm 

RidinDirty wrote:
Now that I've been thinking about it.. Since apparently Some people think I'm going for "bling". Cause Nevada is full of "bling". I might as well take it all apart and have it all chromed out.

hahaha

it looks fine how it is other than the black bolts

people are just jealous of your Bling Bling

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:38 pm 

RidinDirty wrote:

HELL YEAH then it will look great when everybody crowds around when it quits running think of the people you could have impressed the last time it quit running, then someone can use the good ole "chrome don't get you home" saying.

You should splash some powder coat on it too :-)

You have any carbon fiber that's always cool ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 pm 

We're gonna skill Billy it back together using things like tie wraps to hold the fuel lines on because fires are always spectacular to draw a crowd. Then maybe make a shit load of carbon fiber panels to cover everything to assure we get no air cooling what so ever. It will be so unreliable that we will skill Billy a big hoop on the front so we can just keep the tow rope we need handy for every time we take it out!

Nah Hoser, we're gonna bypass on the powder coating and go strait to having the entire frame chromed! Chrome will get you home if its the aforementioned chromed hoop that the tow rope is attached to!

Now on a serious note.....

The seizure cause was the three way valve within the fuel system which was bleeding too much fuel back into the top end during WOT (Wide Open Throttle) hill climbs trying to keep up with Nick and the boys.

The new fuel system will be the 38mm Mikuni carb with the larger fuel inlet valve which will allow for a direct pump straight to the carb with no bypass. Ridindirty is getting the fuel system that I have been running on my Ody for the last 2 years.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm 

Ok I am confused I thought the bigger fuel inlet valve was for gravity feed applications, larger opening to accommodate the less fuel pressure, the smaller inlet valves were used for pressurized systems to slightly reduced the flow to prevent flooding when the float valve bounced open.

Reguardless if you have a tested and proven system go with it.

You looking for a TMX carb? Mudbogger has one here that came off his LT Pilot pretty sure its for sale.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm 

hoser wrote:
Ok I am confused I thought the bigger fuel inlet valve was for gravity feed applications, larger opening to accommodate the less fuel pressure, the smaller inlet valves were used for pressurized systems to slightly reduced the flow to prevent flooding when the float valve bounced open.

Reguardless if you have a tested and proven system go with it.

You looking for a TMX carb? Mudbogger has one here that came off his LT Pilot pretty sure its for sale.

OOPS!

You're right, I'm wrong and was thinking ass backwards....

Let me rephrase that...

The 38mm Mikuni has had the fuel valve changed out to the smaller either 1.5 or 1.8 fuel valve so it can be ran without the Ody fuel bypass valve. It's been 2 years since I've looked to see which one is actually in it.

Thanks for the tip Hoser but I don't need another carb. When I Randmanized (LOL) Duneit's three FL350 Ody's, he gave me a 35mm Keihin that I will be running on mine.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 am 

looks good and I am sure it will run good as well

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:51 pm 

If not then at least it looks good being towed back lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 am 

Well, we got the exhaust all mounted and we did a little polishing, for all you fans that just loved the "bling"look (you know who you are) haha. And if it does break down(which I doubt it will) at least it will look bad ass getting towed back to camp.. Tomarrow I got to pick up some hose and fittings and we can hook up the radiator. Get it heat cycled, then start breaking her in..

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 84.31 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 68.76 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:45 am 

RidinDirty wrote:
Well, we got the exhaust all mounted and we did a little polishing, for all you fans that just loved the "bling"look (you know who you are) haha. And if it does break down(which I doubt it will) at least it will look bad ass getting towed back to camp.. Tomarrow I got to pick up some hose and fittings and we can hook up the radiator. Get it heat cycled, then start breaking her in..

that's the point if you put 1/2 as much effort-focus into the mechanical side, thinking then doing you will never break down, that's where the bling homo comes in over the years we have seen guys focus on the bling, chrome, polished plastics and everything else then break down, that's where stoneman came up with the "sure looks pretty setting their" and when he says it you look the machine over and can see the owner wasted all his time and money on bling so their is sets all pretty and broke haha. My favorite is all the morons that buy the bling aluminum rims then discover they bend easier, blow the tire off the beads easier, have the wrong offset so handle worse than stock but they look good long the trail bent or with a blown bead, wish I had all the time back I lost waiting on these morons trying to fix a tire on them bling after market rims, at least we kept ourselves busy laughing at the stupidity of wasting money to make it less reliable.

SO did you spend as much time prepping your piston so it will last longer and reduce chances of cracking and the port bevels putting the proper bevel and radius so they are not apt to scrape off the oil? For the price of a cylinder gasket and a circlip (less than 15 bux total) you can do these internal blings you just cant see them once done.

Did you remove the manufacture flaws inside the pipe and silencer so it will properly flow once installed, did you even bother to look or were you focused on the chrome and bling LMAO not to worry the group will wait for you to catch up.

Do you even have a clue what I am talking about I can provide links and pics?

Your machine do what you want just trying to help my suggestions make your machine run better, last longer, run faster....

Another example how many people bought these installed then never bleed the brakes when they installed them? be honest even if its just with yourselves how many even thought to bleed the brakes whilst installing, how many were under the spell of bling....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:52 pm 

"SO did you spend as much time prepping your piston so it will last longer and reduce chances of cracking and the port bevels putting the proper bevel and radius so they are not apt to scrape off the oil? For the price of a cylinder gasket and a circlip (less than 15 bux total) you can do these internal blings you just cant see them once done.

Did you remove the manufacture flaws inside the pipe and silencer so it will properly flow once installed, did you even bother to look or were you focused on the chrome and bling LMAO not to worry the group will wait for you to catch up.
"

To answer your questions, yes and yes. Don't need a second cylinder gasket and circlip if you do it right the first time!

By the way Hoser, Ridindirty is the learner..... I am the builder.

And while you guys are having fun yanking each other's chains, I am diligently working hard to assure I don't have to rebuild this one again until he wears it out.

Rule #1.... If you're not going to do it right the first time, don't bother doing it at all.

Rule #2.....If you want to Mickey Mouse shit, don't ask me to help you.

Not my first rodeo. I have built 7 Odys and only 1 failure due to bypass valve failure. Can't count how many Engine rebuilds I have done since the late 70's with very few failures.....well at least until after I learned by screwing up the first time LOL!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 pm 

Here's a quick video from yesterday. Randman an I went to Johnson Lane to start the break in. Rand is in my ody in this clip. I'm in front in his. Not a fan at all where I had the camera positioned. Try something different next time.

http://youtu.be/Xgvhf-MpZVU

Anyways, my ody was bogging out from the beginning. When we got back, we dropped the needle, and it ran a lot better. I got new rear tires coming, the ones I'm using are just too big.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 pm 

RidinDirty wrote:
Here's a quick video from yesterday. Randman an I went to Johnson Lane to start the break in. Rand is in my ody in this clip. I'm in front in his. Not a fan at all where I had the camera positioned. Try something different next time.

http://youtu.be/Xgvhf-MpZVU" ."..

Anyways, my ody was bogging out from the beginning. When we got back, we dropped the needle, and it ran a lot better. I got new rear tires coming, the ones I'm using are just too big.

Hey Blondie, the video is listed as private and I can't view it!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:40 pm 

Yeah, I know.. I realized that a few minutes ago. It's fixed now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 pm 

What happened to the clip of me buzzing my and flying the bird?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 pm 

I also expected to hear more of the Engine revving, all I hear is drive train whine.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm 

All in all we got them dialed in pretty close except we have not completed full throttle plug chops yet. Got both of them running pretty rich and I could stand to lean them out a little bit. Kolby's Ody is running well but with the water cooled cylinder, its a a little cold blooded.

My Engine received a bottom end bearing replacement job and a new piston and rings. I changed out my carb and exhaust (which went to Kolby) put a 36mm Kehin and the Power Pro's pipe on mine and I'm quite impressed with the performance difference. Can't wait to take her out again, put a little more time on her and then open her up!

Slowly but surely..........going to make a trip to Sand Mountain in a couple of weeks!

Rand

Profile E-mail