Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Potential project 350?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 am 

I posted this in the new member forum but I was hoping I'd get a few more reply's here. Anyway, there is a fl350 close by to me for sale. The ad also reads that he has a ton of parts for the 250 and 350. Same old story, restoration project that never got done. Its basically a basket case that needs rebuilt and put back together. I wanna know what I should expect to pay for something like this. The extra parts don't come with the rolling chassis.

Also I've been reading about all the "upgrades" these things need. shocks, water cooled head, exhaust, Intake. I'm new to these machines so I'm wondering what i can expect to pay for these upgrades. As far as the front shocks go, Is there a "bolt on kit" to go to an a-arm suspension? I've seen a lot of conversions but wasn't sure if a aftermarket company picked it up.

Anything i'm missing or any other comments would be appreciated. I'd hate to overpay or miss something.

Thanks again, and I love the forum so far !

Attachments:
ody.jpg
ody.jpg [ 55.05 KiB | Viewed 827 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 am 

For that buggy in the pic, missing Engine and condition it is in, personally I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it. But then again, Im not into projects at this point either lol.

Let us know what happens and good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:18 pm 

You got to look at it this way you can buy a running driving fl350 for under 2000 bucks how much will this thing cost including your time and parts just to get it to the condition of a running driving one? If its close to what a running driving one could be had for I would just sit and save up for exactly what you want and buy that. Its fun building these things but more fun riding them. I would only give the guy 200 for that one

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:05 pm 

Looks like it needs a lot of work to fix up.I think it would only be worth buying to sell the parts.The seat looks to be the best thing about it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm 

Yup buy to keeps axles and tranny sell off the rest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm 

Ditto to everyone else's comments. I always walk into projects thinking where I could break even or profit from liquidation if I were to never start or else walk away from the project.

For that buggy...I wouldn't pay for than like $450. Someone went rattle can crazy on it and painted rims, shocks, and maybe even the tank and gearbox. He could part it out and get more, but that takes work, time, a little cost, and a lot of hassle.

Make a list or a spreadsheet of what it may need, and then add 20% to that. Often its cheaper/easier to buy a stock runner that's more complete. And some parts are discontinued.

As far as liquidation goes, some SELL price references (not list-&-sit price, this an approx. realistic cash price)....
    > Decent axles fetch $100-$150 each on slutBay.
    > Foot tub $40-$100 depending on shape. Shipping sucks.
    > Seat $40-$100 depending on shape. Shipping sucks.
    > Good running gearbox without issues...$200-$275. Shipping sucks.
    > Straight rollcage (top and bottom)...$100-$400. Tough sell.
    > Complete working steering wheel...$75-$150.
    > Clean master cylinder w/ lines...$75-$120.
    > Clean rear caliper...$50-$100.
    > Good shifter w/ cables...$50-$100.
    > Fuel tank, not rusty but complete..$50-$100.
    > Suspension, front & back, arms, shocks, etc...$80-$200 for all depending on condition.
    > CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box $60-$100
    > Misc stuff..$50-$100.

So...at minimum, you could part her out for perhaps ~$1k at bare minimum prices including -15% for fees if selling it on slutBay. but that's if the parts are in usable condition.

So don't be surprised if they're asking $1k-$1.2k for it even as ugly as it is if he knows what stuff is worth.

$500 or less, I'd jump on it. Would be a good candidate for a Rotax Engine swap. Worst case is you have to use some elbow grease (which is free) and part it out and make a couple hundy! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm 

Dmoney, that's exactley what I was looking for. He is asking 800 for the the rolling chassis. I understand the list you made up was all the peieces you could see in the pic and speculating that they are in good working order. With all the replays it sounds like a average of 400$ to me and what's the chances of him selling for half of what he's asking. He does say however that he has a complete rotax ready to drop in but I don't know what he's asking for it. What do they go for? I enjoy working on these projects. Its like resurecting someones neglect and relaunching it. And I don't have the extra funds laying around for a complete unit. I'm just gonna have to take a drive and see how bad he wants to keep it. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 pm 

PDS00 wrote:
Dmoney, that's exactley what I was looking for. He is asking 800 for the the rolling chassis. I understand the list you made up was all the peieces you could see in the pic and speculating that they are in good working order. With all the replays it sounds like a average of 400$ to me and what's the chances of him selling for half of what he's asking. He does say however that he has a complete rotax ready to drop in but I don't know what he's asking for it. What do they go for? I enjoy working on these projects. Its like resurecting someones neglect and relaunching it. And I don't have the extra funds laying around for a complete unit. I'm just gonna have to take a drive and see how bad he wants to keep it. Thanks.

Make sure everything for the "complete rotax" is their harness, pipes, carbs etc.

Finding a harness pipe or carbs can cost you hundreds...

Find out exactly what Engine it is also, their will be a tag on the Engine that says ROTAX Type xxxx find out the type number..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:53 am 

Any particular number I should shy away from? This is all excellent info. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:48 pm 

Would be great if it were a liquid-cooled Engine.

Always a gamble on an Engine you can't hear/see run. And need to really make sure all the important parts are there and in usable shape.

Profile E-mail