Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Its alive !!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 pm 

I wanna ride. Well had some time in between jobs and a nice weekend . Got all the parts together THANKS TO ALL on this forum.
With much thought and a little patience a lot of blaster extra parts and some freebies from newly found friends I brought a fl350
back from the dead! For an initial investment of $800 bucks plus some extra bucks for parts cylinder hone and a piston dam those are expensive. Got buggy 1 going . A great big shout out goes to mark and rich for helping a newbie with a few of the technicals.

Took forever to get her cranked up and started but once she fired its starts every time.
Heat cycled . No wait, I am missing the middle of the story . Stix prodded me along on this I have never been to little sahara much less
went trail riding in a odyssey . So with the parts horded and knowing the trip is coming up this weekend gave me the incentive to get
going on the buggy. With piston prep done cylinder bored exhaust relief done cylinder head holes chased with a tap I was ready to tackle my project.

At about 5:00 fri got started. With the D.H. (that's me) crankcase breather treatment a little tubing bender would have made this go a little easier. Pics of that coming soon. Next assemble top end. O snap what did I do with that precious metal base gasket I got from speedchaser my shop looks like a bomb went off, that was like finding a needle in a hay stack. It was in the tool box. Now to get the rings into the bore crap cant find my ring compressor, just so u know in a pinch 2 zip ties works well but is a bitch to get snugged up firmly enough with 2 cycle oil all over you're hands kinda reminds me of 2 monkeys and a football. lmao It wasent so funny at the time. Jug on, time for the head now about 8:00 one of the 3 which 1 the top bottom middle, I chose the later for the head gasket.
All together done a leak test . Test good. Next compression test 143 ish motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) out of buggy electrified starter with spare battery. ok good called mark to let him know where I was at He told me no no no use the small one confirmed by rich . Changed middle gasket out for the thinner gasket for the head. retest leak test good comp great 150 ish plus.

Somewhere in there new pull start rope. getting late goal is to have Engine in buggy brakes blead. next was to blead the brakes what a
pain in my butt fast forward to 3:00 saturday morning brakes blead good enough excellent rear ok front . Time to put Engine in that sucks by yourself 4:30 am time for exhaust carburetor . Had to put carb back together after soaking and cleaning and blowing it out . sunday 5:30 put battery in and charge. 6:00 shower. 3 hrs sleep go coach my little girls soccer game we won good 24 hrs .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Its alive !!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 am 

After some sought out rest and a little more goading by stix back at it sunday at 5 pm put seat in side panels figured out gas pump and fuel lines hit the starter ran down the battery. out the spare battery to help start crank crank crank crank. Gas on spark yes key on dumped a small amount in intake took spark plug out primed it just a bit. Finally fired right up another call to stix reconfigured gas lines heat cycled. OK going to put it in gear moment of truth!
It will not move pushed back into garage did I mention comet 102c clutch with yellow spring. going to bed.
Monday 5:00 pm took off clutch took clutch apart everything liked fine also before I did this it sounded like a bad lifter knocking
when the clutch was on with the Engine running. I had some dry lube for my table saw top topcote is the products name. sprayed the clutch put back together reinstall. Wait I measured the belt 1in plus a hair this belt is worn out had a spare put it on 1 3/16 wide.
Pushed back out of shop fired it up no rattling lifter sound gave it the gas off I go!!!
It was like CHRISTMASS in spring. Hope you enjoyed the read.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 am 

Congrats on getting it up & running..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 am 

Pictures?

102C all make noise at idle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:57 am 

hoser wrote:
Pictures?

All comet clutches make noise ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 am 

B S wrote:
hoser wrote:
Pictures?

Everyone I have makes noise, some worse than others.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm 

as far as the clutch goes it settled down a bit after I took it apart and lubed put it back together installed and ran it.

Attachments:
File comment: tube outside flywheel side no spit up yet.
DSC00666.JPG
DSC00666.JPG [ 47.38 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
File comment: first tube inside behind flywheel
DSC00662.JPG
DSC00662.JPG [ 38.18 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
File comment: fenders are real rough
DSC00659.JPG
DSC00659.JPG [ 69.5 KiB | Viewed 1147 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 pm 

Looks like there is more than one way to skin a cat! :shock:

The only fear I would have of running the tube the way you did would be the tube coming loose and rattling around inside the stator area.

How did you attach the tube into the case? Is it a press fit? Is it JB welded in place?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 pm 

Randman wrote:
Looks like there is more than one way to skin a cat! :shock:

The only fear I would have of running the tube the way you did would be the tube coming loose and rattling around inside the stator area.

How did you attach the tube into the case? Is it a press fit? Is it JB welded in place?

Rand

Yup looks good just remember to keep checking the level of the balancer oil on the dipstick and monitor that oil is not working out the end of your modified vent, the path under the cylinder will hold quite a bit of oil before it fills up the voids then works its way through the rest of the vent system.

The Honda recall was to adjust the oil level to the lower mark on the dip stick so we can assume that is also a safe place or acceptable level regardless of the vent system I would not want to run it any lower.

Looks like another great mod to keep the oil out of the starter...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 pm 

press fit with red rtv .But with the way it is snaked into both holes the chances are well not impossible but improbable. The hole in case is just a little bigger than tube so had to rtv to seal it up good.
Is there any shorts of heating and bending where front arms bolts to, too adjust the camber it looks
like the front end took a pretty good lick sometime in its short life leaving the left front wheel toed out in a bit? Just thinking of a way
to fix this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:46 pm 

dbloudharleys wrote:
press fit with red rtv .But with the way it is snaked into both holes the chances are well not impossible but improbable. The hole in case is just a little bigger than tube so had to rtv to seal it up good.
Is there any shorts of heating and bending where front arms bolts to, too adjust the camber it looks
like the front end took a pretty good lick sometime in its short life leaving the left front wheel toed out in a bit? Just thinking of a way
to fix this.

What shape are your "J" arm bushings in? When they are well worn, they will cause the tire to tip in (negative camber).

Raise the front wheels off the ground and the grab the wheel and check to see if there is any play in the arms. The "J" arms are an overlooked part of the Ody that seldom gets lubed and wear out quickly.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 am 

thanks randman I did that. They are slightly loose . Was the first thing I greased up . however the po probably skipped this step. lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:26 pm 

B S wrote:
hoser wrote:
Pictures?

Everyone I have ever owned including a new out of the box 94c

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:28 pm 

Good write up Db. I like the seat too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:37 pm 

stix wrote:
B S wrote:
hoser wrote:
Pictures?

the bad thing is it when you sell the all the sea it's hard to explain to the new owner that they make noise

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 pm 

B S wrote:
stix wrote:
B S wrote:
hoser wrote:
Pictures?

the bad thing is it when you sell the all the sea it's hard to explain to the new owner that they make noise

The first Fl350 I bought had the chattering clutch,When I went to buy the Ody and the owner started it for me the ol 94c was clattering away! I didnt know what is was and neither did the owner, so i negotiated about 7 or 800 off asking price. I would have negotiated anyhow but that was my angle!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm 

About your front brakes... Try adjust te shoes so they drag ALOT almost so you can't turn by hand with wheel off. Then Rebleed. Hoser taught me this last year and my front brakes are Rock solid! Good luck-nice thread!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm 

ok so ahead and get the front brakes to drag a little more then rebleed. Makes sense. I had them that way then backed em off but
jus a smudge, but I don't think I reblead when they were tight like that. I will give it a shot. Better to try that first than master cylinder rebuild. I really didn't want to do that. :shock:

Started on fiberglassing the fenders. Hopefully Iam not screwing them up, they have cracks and breaks in them they wil not take much abuse as I plan to do . lol So the treatment will be to fiberglass the underside with 1 strip about 3 in wide over cracks then 1 complete layer over that. Then put truck liner over that. They are so brittle but for the most part intact like to keep it that way. Pics of that soon.
About to run out of time trying to get ready for little sahara ride.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:16 pm 

dbloudharleys wrote:
ok so ahead and get the front brakes to drag a little more then rebleed. Makes sense. I had them that way then backed em off but
jus a smudge, but I don't think I reblead when they were tight like that. I will give it a shot. Better to try that first than master cylinder rebuild. I really didn't want to do that. :shock:

Started on fiberglassing the fenders. Hopefully Iam not screwing them up, they have cracks and breaks in them they wil not take much abuse as I plan to do . lol So the treatment will be to fiberglass the underside with 1 strip about 3 in wide over cracks then 1 complete layer over that. Then put truck liner over that. They are so brittle but for the most part intact like to keep it that way. Pics of that soon.
About to run out of time trying to get ready for little sahara ride.

don't be afraid to adjust your brakes with a lot of drag then take it for a ride and use them for about 15 hard stops then readjust usually just back them off about 1 click on the adjuster, sometimes the shoes will also need to wear to match the drum so you might have to adjust until they are worn in to fit your drums once they are worn in, adjusted right and working right you wont have to adjust for about a full season.

IF you adjust them too tight and go for a long ride its possible for them to build up enough heat the drums will expand and lock up the tire so keep it to short rides when you have them real tight trying to wear them in, another words don't take off down the road for a 3 mile ride lol

You also want the front shoe or leading shoe to contact the drum first not the rear shoe so start on the front most adjuster....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 pm 

Thanks for the tid bit Hoser . That was exactly what I was afraid of them seizing up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 pm 

well got started on front fenders. Need to pull the rear fenders get the first crack cover layer on. Good grief these fenders are
brittle. When I scuff sanded them with 60 grit for the resin to grab to is was like sanding super soft pine. We will see if little trick
works.

Attachments:
DSC00667.JPG
DSC00667.JPG [ 37.52 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]
DSC00668.JPG
DSC00668.JPG [ 38.47 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]
DSC00669.JPG
DSC00669.JPG [ 40.58 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]
DSC00670.JPG
DSC00670.JPG [ 38.24 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:55 am 

I fixed a few quad fenders like that, but some of the hardened resin eventually started to peel even after roughing it up with rough sand paper. More recent, I'd scuffed with low-grit paper and then used a razor knife to make an ever rougher cross-section for the resin to get in 'n grab.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 pm 

I should have used the bedliner coating first then the fiber glass o well live and learn. So for now It is zip tied frankinstin style.
will peal fiberglass off and undercoat that then fiberglass it that way the fiberglass has something to grab a hold to .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:32 am 

I have some toasted fenders as well, how did the repair w/ undercoat work?? sounds like a good idea. I do a lot of fiberglass repairs on my boat now and then but never on plastic and wondering how it turned out?? Another thing i did to help the fenders was to make a metal bracket under the fender to help support it, its only 3/4 in wide and i formed it to the fender, works great.

costa

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 am 

Just need to be careful with the older brittle fenders. If you strengthen one section, you've effectively weakened the adjacent section. Sometimes a fender is just too far gone. But hopefully the fix will prevail. :-)

Profile E-mail