Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Its alive !!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:13 pm 

Well made it out to the dunes ::-: with the guys but had to come home and go back to work. :shock:
Fenders stayed together ugly though. It ran ok but the clutch just didn't seem right I don't know if its the belt
driven or my 102c going to have to do some home work on them. on the 102c it seems like I have to get rpms up quite a bit to get it to engage. I think I am going to try and call someone on it maybe get a different spring.
Is there someone that is up to speed on the 102c cvt. Any info would be great. Right now its a little cool here in okla hope the guys are having fun. Sould be a lot nicer for them tomorrow at little sahara.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 pm 

By the way stock shocks sucked big time next on the list to change .
But its going to be hard to turn loose that kind of coin $. Shocks new will cost as much as I paid for the whole buggy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 pm 

I ahve a 102c on my 350 and have learned quite a bit about them in the last 6mo. The purple spring or white is a higher stall around 4200 or so. If you ride alot of trails then you need a lower stall. I currently have the purple whic is higher and i like it. I ride some trails mostly mud hard pack dirt and some gravel/sand mix and love it in all of it. There are many different weight kits you can get for the clutch depending on what you want... Any other question??just ask...

ps: i just bought a cover for mine to keep out the rain and mud and i highly advise you to do the same or it will ger rusty and wear prematurally.

Randy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 pm 

dbloudharleys wrote:
By the way stock shocks sucked big time next on the list to change .
But its going to be hard to turn loose that kind of coin $. Shocks new will cost as much as I paid for the whole buggy.

Don't bother with the front shocks, just go for the rear.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:54 pm 

randy where did you find the clutch cover?
Ok here goes I have been reading quite a bit tonight.
I see that some people has changed the driven spring the heel clickers do not like to be changed out a whole lot because they are soft . So after reading this whole post all of you know right my ride is pretty much stock.
I know that the clutch is a nice one and I need to know how to adjust it .
Out at the dunes I really had to rev high to get the clutch to engage I didn't like that . I know that I have a yellow spring in it right now. But once it hit a higher gear boy a smile came across my face I will have to admit. The problem is it just seemed like I had to rev so high just to get it engaged if I loose a little speed that is fine I just want more lower end and do not want buy a lot of parts that I do not need.
So from what I have read I was thinking a lighter spring?
And yes the rear shocks for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 am 

One of the guys here on the forum has a friend that works at a John deere dealer and he did a nationwide dealer search for the part. The reason a jd dealer is they were a oem part on some 70's snowmobiles. The dealer had 1 in stock then checked his warehouse and realized he had 2. I bought both and sold 1 back to the guy that found em. They were about $60 ea. I haven't seen any on eBay before or since I found these... There very hard to find. If you want a low maintenance low stall clutch, buy a new 94c clutch for about $225. They have a much lower stall and easier to maintain. Now that I installed my cover I will have to remove the clutch to disassemble it to lube it. The 94 iSight easier to lube through the vent holes. As far as shocks go I too have taken the $500 punch and had a set of old works shocks rebuilt and what a huge difference. Most works new are $750+. Good luck...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm 

Fixing to go out and take clutch [102c] off and take apart again then weigh the weights to
make sure I have the right size / weight. The next thing I am going to get a pink spring then a new
belt if that doesent do it I will look at the driven. From the info I see here and everywhere else
I think that will get my buggy at a happy setting for the dunes and my style of riding. ::-:
From what I understand the yellow spring that is in the clutch now is set up for race WOT (Wide Open Throttle) all the time.
Right now I have to blip the throttle to get it to top speed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm 

Have you tried to jack up the rear end and watch the clutches perform, Maybe that might give some insight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm 

Not yet . Was going to do that right before I change so I could do a before and after change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:19 am 

Ok got the tac done. The clutch is what propagated the tac and cup build so I know what
clutch was engaging at . Yes i have jacked it up the clutch is engaging. But i jacked it up and
checked that before tac.

So next is to see what rpm engagement of clutch is . Also have parts on the way.
Pink spring new belt. So next up is lights rear tires . And works shocks. Yep I am going to
let go of green backs for the freeking shocks. And I am going to buy one of those lighted
freeking flag poles just for shits and grinns.

That way Stix can find me in the Darkness out on the dunes talk about a lonely feeling ,when I freeking run out of gas. Lmao. What a night that was . And I have new lights
it doesent take long to figure out stock ssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkssssssssss. Kinda like the shocks.

Also going to fix my maguyver fuse the one that blew in the darkness that was fun spliced that with strands of wire . Still runs but gotta fix it. I don't know why all this had to happen
on a night with very little moon. O well getting the grimlins out of first buggy, probably hasent
been run like that in a long long time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:16 pm 

I remember seeing your taillight for what seemed like forever when I was behind Eric waiting for the "ok" to travel back to camp. Then snake eyes! Finally, Was pretty dark by then, what a night. Those Works will be worth every green back. Hey I have two sets of paddles I forgot I had out in my old shed. One set are V paddles and the other are straight paddles. Your choice, only thing is they are 20X11X10. The 22X11X10 skat track on rims are your for the borrowing but if you would rather take the 20X11X10 shoes they are yours.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm 

Stix
on the v paddles those do not push as much sand but you get more speed out of them right.
Also the difference between the 22 and 20's is ground clearance ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 pm 

Not sure about the speed however the V's claim better turning. I never really noticed the difference, yep ground clearance, however a measuring tape will give a more accurate measurement of the height (20,21,22 etc etc).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 pm 

parts arrived yesterday!

Attachments:
File comment: took clutch apart again
fl350 001.JPG
fl350 001.JPG [ 51.29 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: cleaned
fl350 002.JPG
fl350 002.JPG [ 42.44 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: and inspected
fl350 003.JPG
fl350 003.JPG [ 70.01 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: wear towards the middle
fl350 004.JPG
fl350 004.JPG [ 36.77 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
fl350 005.JPG
fl350 005.JPG [ 24.01 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: New pink spring for less rpm
engagement

fl350 006.JPG
fl350 006.JPG [ 64.37 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 pm 

More

Attachments:
File comment: LIghts low beam
fl350 007.JPG
fl350 007.JPG [ 55.48 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: High beaming
fl350 008.JPG
fl350 008.JPG [ 62.93 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: Tac lighted Ideling around

fl350 009.JPG
fl350 009.JPG [ 51.04 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
fl350 010.JPG
fl350 010.JPG [ 53.97 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: low
fl350 012.JPG
fl350 012.JPG [ 58.92 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
File comment: high
fl350 013.JPG
fl350 013.JPG [ 65.91 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 pm 

Havent had a chance to take it out for a spin yet have a few more thing Ive got to button up before
I do. Sure hope the pink spring does the trick if not I guess I will go for the purple. The spring that was in the clutch was the yellow square. I can do a little night rideing now for sure!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am 

Dude, you're gonna love those LED block lights. I've only done a couple evening rides in snow and they are leaps and bounds over the stock halogens.

That yellow spring looks HUGE compared to the pink one. Should def make a difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 am 

I just helped elitespecialkid put his rebuild kit in his first 102c. He had C-1 cams and the yellow square spring,(now round purple spring same tension). That is my favorite combo for dunes. Do you have a mix of C-1 and N-1 cams? If so that's a bad thing.

I have quite a few of them and been rebuilding them for years. Got questions, fire away!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 pm 

What the hell ? I am even the one that took the danged picture good grief.
Nuke Em wrote:
I just helped elitespecialkid put his rebuild kit in his first 102c. He had C-1 cams and the yellow square spring,(now round purple spring same tension). That is my favorite combo for dunes. Do you have a mix of C-1 and N-1 cams? If so that's a bad thing.

I have quite a few of them and been rebuilding them for years. Got questions, fire away!

I think the c-1 had the n-1 stamped on the back and front, OOOO SNAP! Well I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.
I will pull it back off and recheck it. This might be the reason it is just acting strange . Well I was going to go down the list of
things done , but now I am curious I ve got to take the clutch back off.

Now I have a question Nuke em. All that I have to say is the pink spring rocks! Clutch engages at about 3300 a lot better than the 6000
it was . But at high rpm it just didn't seem like it wanted to shift into high . If I have a mixed bag of arms on there this would explain
why possibly. I will look tomorrow . Then go from there. From the tec sheet I should have the friggin N-1 now. Now I need to make another order possibly.

That explains everything.
On the good side the list.
Fuse fixed
Tachometer done (freebie) just a little sweat equity in fab.
Lights camera action should be good to go on night driving. Low is where originals were high is above head. Guy gave me a pretty good price to.
was afraid to bring both high and low on line for fear of burning up stator/ charging system.
works Shocks on the way ! From Tpreed
Fenders on the way ! From Fatcat My existing fenders work but are ugly as hell lol Will be for sale Cheep as soon as I get others in.
O yea redo my pull rope I broke it.

Does anyone know or if I can get a new rubber tube for the pull rope from Engine to roll cage? Does the rope have to go all the way to roll cage? or can
it just go back down to ratchet lid ?
Mount up some paddle Tires from My fellow Okie Stix.
Last but not least a Lighted bring on the bling whip (mostly for safety) :-)
Thanks for everyone's help on this could not have done it with out all of you and the input. Not to mention answering some goofy questions.
Not quite done yet but very close. Now just need to dial it in.

Next build should go a little smoother .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:55 pm 

What the hell ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 pm 

My old cam sheets doesn't have the c-1 cam specs. I am betting there is a difference in their weight. That may cause a vibration at higher rpm...bad stuff. Do you have a way to weigh them? When you change the stall speed spring, its been my experience that it also changes the shift out points even tho its not supposed to. Try a heavier and lighter can and see what you like for your riding style.

You will love the works shocks! How bad are the rear fenders? I am interested!!!

What kind of power draw does those lights draw? I have ran extra 55watt fog lights at the same time as my stock 35/55 watt headlights. I have been really liking the HID fog lights, very low draw and great lighting. Those LED ones are too.

Gary

Attachments:
IMG_20130510_213056_674.jpg
IMG_20130510_213056_674.jpg [ 49.98 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:46 am 

Nuke em where did you get that speck sheet? You used the c-1 cam arms instead of the n-1 ? With purple spring ?
I know that the arms weigh different, I didn't weigh them. I have a scale I just bought for the kiddos Awanas pine wood derby .
My boy took 2nd and My girl took 1st by the way? :-) Yes they did most of the work. My girl listened to me on the design,
my hard headed son didn't still didn't come out too bad. So I will get scale out today after soccer games and weigh the arms .

Nuke em what did the c-1 weigh verses the n-1 . As far as the fenders go they were kind of an experiment, you can earlier in this thread
that they were cracked pretty good I then used some fiberglass 1 layer on under side, then put some bed liner on top of fenders used the old
zip ties frankinstien style , you cant them though they are black like the roll truck bed liner. They are holding up I think if I had to do it again
I would put the bed liner on bottom side of fender then fiberglass to give the fiber glass something a little more substantial to bite into
instead of plastic just roughed up. would probably hold glass better. I will try and put some pics up.

As far as the lights go I bought from a guy that is on the net but the cool thing is he is right here in mustang, so went over and picked
them up. I think it was like $ 150 for all three.

The pink spring engauges hard at lower rpm which is what I thought I would need in the dunes if not whats another 25 for a purple .
But yea that big old square yellow spring I believe was just race spring. As far as everything else in the clutch looked good rollers
bushings ect. I did look at the model # of clutch and it is for a oddy so at least I have the right one. It actually came with oddy #2 spare parts.

All I have for now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:09 pm 

Ok what gives I need some help here . In the pics. It shows Factory stamp C-1 on one side then on the other side it has a generic stamp n 1.
Does the n 1 just designate the the style IE the grind of that arm? By the way the arm weighs 47 Grams.
I am going to order the N-1 45.5 and a purple spring also. Get that done it will be a good starting point then I know
it would be set up for what comet would set it at as per paper work how much should the C-1 arms weigh.?

Let me know any thoughts Nuke em what does youre sheet say . Also looking for dust cover for 102C . :-) I gather from Randy j its like finding a
needle in a hay stack . lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:25 pm 

Even looking on the Mfg website it says C-1 on arm in pic but the ad says N-1 . But the weight of that one is 45.5 grams.

Sincerely DAzed and confused.
Should have bought a duster as everyone suggested. I am hard headed.lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:38 am 

ok posting reply to myself.
Found it. The N-1 arms are made out of the C-1 cut or grind. It was on Honda of east Toledo site. But they show the arms at 46.4 all the other sites
say plus or minus on grams .
What if I drill each arm that I have out to the 45.5 grams each opposite the side in which the roller rides. Any thoughts good bad Idea?
As long as I get all three of them at 45.5 ?

Profile E-mail