Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:31 am 

HI, thought I would post some pics of a conversion I completed

Attachments:
phpGxmrS3PM (2).jpg
phpGxmrS3PM (2).jpg [ 37.89 KiB | Viewed 2400 times ]
php1OcJ8hAM.jpg
php1OcJ8hAM.jpg [ 34.27 KiB | Viewed 2400 times ]
php1utzHnPM.jpg
php1utzHnPM.jpg [ 32.95 KiB | Viewed 2400 times ]
php6uVRlRAM.jpg
php6uVRlRAM.jpg [ 35.31 KiB | Viewed 2400 times ]
php7cgwDfPM.jpg
php7cgwDfPM.jpg [ 24.61 KiB | Viewed 2400 times ]
php9SBnORPM.jpg
php9SBnORPM.jpg [ 32.36 KiB | Viewed 2400 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 am 

more pics

Attachments:
phpcQrq6YAM.jpg
phpcQrq6YAM.jpg [ 30.28 KiB | Viewed 2398 times ]
php108VhsPM.jpg
php108VhsPM.jpg [ 40.47 KiB | Viewed 2398 times ]
phpE31W3jPM.jpg
phpE31W3jPM.jpg [ 35.24 KiB | Viewed 2398 times ]
phpi0BDNvPM.jpg
phpi0BDNvPM.jpg [ 34.26 KiB | Viewed 2398 times ]
phpRHBO2WAM (2).jpg
phpRHBO2WAM (2).jpg [ 34.64 KiB | Viewed 2398 times ]
phpVcdVfHPM (2).jpg
phpVcdVfHPM (2).jpg [ 31.37 KiB | Viewed 2398 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:37 am 

welcome to the site emmanuel

how does the 500 do in the odyssey compared to the stock 350 Engine?
top speed?
off the line power?

price that it costs to do the conversion?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:41 am 

more pics

Attachments:
phpYalTtzPM.jpg
phpYalTtzPM.jpg [ 35.07 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
phpyEmP6lPM.jpg
phpyEmP6lPM.jpg [ 38.26 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
php1OcJ8hAM.jpg
php1OcJ8hAM.jpg [ 34.27 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
php6uVRlRAM.jpg
php6uVRlRAM.jpg [ 35.31 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
phpcQrq6YAM.jpg
phpcQrq6YAM.jpg [ 30.28 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
phpLwJ59AAM.jpg
phpLwJ59AAM.jpg [ 34.97 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:47 am 

Thanks for joining here! I look forward to your posts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:57 am 

The yard isn't very big at my shop so we couldn't fully try it out, im going to the customers farm next week to see how things are going and get some video.

This conversion is fairly simple, no frame mods just had to cut off a couple tabs and part of the cross bar that holds the airbox and fuel tank.

This is what I did

fab Engine mount
fab rad brackets - I used the quad rad
fab remote oil tank
modified quad exhaust to fit
modified fl 350 fuel tank
custom billet intake spacer

Engine came out of a 2008 polaris sportsman 500ho

the Engine is by far the biggest cost in this conversion

Attachments:
php6MNjDVPM.jpg
php6MNjDVPM.jpg [ 33.58 KiB | Viewed 2394 times ]
php6gJqLjPM.jpg
php6gJqLjPM.jpg [ 33.58 KiB | Viewed 2394 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:07 am 

I like what you did here. Very nice work. Can you use the stock belt guard or do you make one? My only worry would be the clutch throwing something through the oil filter. I like this conversion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 am 

Looks like the drive clutch sits a bit higher on the polaris to clear the stock belt gaurd but i bet you coukd make some stand-offs to make it work

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 am 

Also does the seat go all the way back still?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 am 

This is a great post. Looking forward to the info on performance. This is what I have been looking into for my two oddys. Nice work on that Engine mount, no hack n wack on the frame. Nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am 

Nice! Another fine Engine swap from Farr Offroad. =) Nice to see an oil filter on a buggy for once, lol (says the oil filter engineer).

Looking forward to seeing / hearing / reading the farm trial results.

No, those engines are not cheap at all! I'm always on the hunt for a wrecked one, not really for a swap, but more some income.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:35 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Nice! Another fine Engine swap from Farr Offroad. =) Nice to see an oil filter on a buggy for once, lol (says the oil filter engineer).

No, those engines are not cheap at all! I'm always on the hunt for a wrecked one, not really for a swap, but more some income.

Hey oil filter engineer how does the AC PF2057 filter compare to the Polaris part number 2540086 oil filter? I have also seen many pushing the walmart brand oil filter "Super Tech" ST7317

These filters all fit my RZR 800 Engine but I think the oil filter is the same used on this 500 Engine so the info would apply here also?

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am 

hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

Hey oil filter engineer how does the AC PF2057 filter compare to the Polaris part number 2540086 oil filter? I have also seen many pushing the walmart brand oil filter "Super Tech" ST7317

These filters all fit my RZR 800 Engine but I think the oil filter is the same used on this 500 Engine so the info would apply here also?

Thanks

SuperTech is W*M's house-brand meant to be the bottom price point. Champ once made them, but I think Wally just got rid of SuperTech and refilled the shelf-space with Purolator-brand stuff. SuperTech was made by reputable state-side mfg'ers, but understand that "low price point" means the performance isn't going to be as good as your FRAM ExtraGuard, FRAM ToughGuard, FRAM Ultra, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil1, etc product with substantiated performance claims. So with the cheap stuff...instead of a 98%@30um ISO4548-12 efficiency you'll find in the "good stuff", you may get something like 98%@50um; a little less dirt capacity; gasket material won't fair as well; and shell thickness/geometry is more likely to balloon. Overall, performance won't match-up to the good guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

Thanks

SuperTech is W*M's house-brand meant to be the bottom price point. Champ once made them, but I think Wally just got rid of SuperTech and refilled the shelf-space with Purolator-brand stuff. SuperTech was made by reputable state-side mfg'ers, but understand that "low price point" means the performance isn't going to be as good as your FRAM ExtraGuard, FRAM ToughGuard, FRAM Ultra, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil1, etc product with substantiated performance claims. So with the cheap stuff...instead of a 98%@30um ISO4548-12 efficiency you'll find in the "good stuff", you're going to get something like 98%@50um; likely a little less dirt capacity; gasket material won't fair as well; and shell thickness/geometry is more likely to balloon. Overall, performance won't match-up to the good guys.

AC as good as the Polaris filter?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am 

hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

Thanks

SuperTech is W*M's house-brand meant to be the bottom price point. Champ once made them, but I think Wally just got rid of SuperTech and refilled the shelf-space with Purolator-brand stuff. SuperTech was made by reputable state-side mfg'ers, but understand that "low price point" means the performance isn't going to be as good as your FRAM ExtraGuard, FRAM ToughGuard, FRAM Ultra, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil1, etc product with substantiated performance claims. So with the cheap stuff...instead of a 98%@30um ISO4548-12 efficiency you'll find in the "good stuff", you're going to get something like 98%@50um; likely a little less dirt capacity; gasket material won't fair as well; and shell thickness/geometry is more likely to balloon. Overall, performance won't match-up to the good guys.

AC as good as the Polaris filter?

No idea. I don't have info on the Polaris filter. Remember AC is also an aftermarket filter, even though its a GM brand. GM Car Care Aftermarket (GMCCA) sells AC Delco to all the GM dealerships -- its like a business within a business for GM. For my mowers & 4-poke stuff, I use FRAM ToughGuard. And on my truck & wife's Honda I use FRAM Ultra, Amsoil Syn, or Royal Purple Syn since they go hand&hand with syn oil. But...I'm a FRAM guy and sliiiightly biased. =)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:13 pm 

don't most auto websites say never use Fram ?

I think this is going to ruin this thread. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:57 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
don't most auto websites say never use Fram ?

I think this is going to ruin this thread. :-)

:shock: Ok, you went there. <sliding my soapbox out>

The only bad press the bloggers put out there is about the paper end disc FRAM uses on its non-premium stuff. And like I've explained before, you get a BETTER BOND between paper (media) and paper (end disk) than you do paper and steel. The fluid differential pressure and the compression load of the filter is carried by the center tube, the steel body shell, the threaded plate, the lockseam between the body shell & bottom plate, and the structure of the pleated media pack -- not the steel disk! The disks just seal the ends of the media to create a clean-side and a dirty-side and to create a mating surface. FRAM doesn't use paper disks on FRAM ULTRA because the media is a synthetic glass (it isn't paper) that is supported by a co-pleated steel screen. Hence, a different bonding material is required and there is no paper/steel interface. The filter with paper disks meets/exceeds the same OEM requirements that the steel end disk'd filters do. Neither is a "better performer" than the other from an oil filtration standpoint, yet competitors try to use it as if its a leverage point for them. And paper is a lot cheaper of a raw material, made with simpler tooling, uses a lot less energy to produce and to re-use when recycled, and is incinerable. That's the published science about it. Go to http://fram.framautogroup.com/proof. The guy in the video is Gary...who sits 12' away from me and I've worked with since 1999. That whole series of videos was shot here last year. FRAM is that big shiney glass object everyone wants to throw a stone at and hate on.
<soapbox returned to its storage bay>

Farr...thanks for posting this stuff up here. Seems like a lot of projects got started and have kinda' gassed out (including my Roaty' swap project). But that's summer for ya' though. Looking forward to seeing & hearing the Polaris run. Everyone wants 4-poke reliability and low maintenance, but options are low and/or priced beyond belief. Not many have converted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm 

All I know about the AC Delco filters is rarely if ever you see anybody comparing the AC filters to theirs air or oil, I was told this is because AC is built to a higher standard, better quality materials and filters to a smaller particle size without flow issues.

FYI I can go back and edit out the filter talk or move it to another post to keep this on topic and about the build.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:27 pm 

LOL, sounds good Money.

I've read all kinds of horror stories on the turbo buick sites over the years about fram, just messin with ya. I've never seen any of the popped ones.

I use wix,napa,purolator,...why...because the store is on my way home. :-)

Great job Manny,looks very professional. (wait, is there such a thing as a professional buggy Engine swapper?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 pm 

Thanks for the responses, the Engine does sit a little higher than the original and I didn't try and use the stock guard, probably should have made a guard.

The seat now sits in the middle hole

I did this conversion including Engine and rad for 2000$, which is very reasonable, i had the Engine for a while but hadent had the time to make a mount so when this guy asked me to convert his fl350 to a rotax 470 for his 7 year son i offered him the Engine and it gave me the chance to make the mount

Just so everybody knows the stock polaris drive clutch was a comet 102c which used a 1 inch belt

Ace ive been working on my rear suspension, been trying to lighten things up a bit sometimes i forget im working on a small buggy not a trophy truck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40 pm 

emmanuel farrugia wrote:
Thanks for the responses, the Engine does sit a little higher than the original and I didn't try and use the stock guard, probably should have made a guard.

I did this conversion including Engine and rad for 2000$, which is very reasonable, i had the Engine for a while but hadent had the time to make a mount so when this guy asked me to convert his fl350 to a rotax 470 for his 7 year son i offered him the Engine and it gave me the chance to make the mount

Just so everybody knows the stock polaris drive clutch was a comet 102c which used a 1 inch belt

Ace ive been working on my rear suspension, been trying to lighten things up a bit sometimes i forget im working on a small buggy not a trophy truck

Would the lt rear be cv joint style?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:45 pm 

Does you site explain exactly what kits you offer and such by chance?
Love the conversion and this thread, welcome to the site, I hope your kits sell well, good luck to you sir!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:08 am 

Ace wrote:
B S wrote:
emmanuel farrugia wrote:

Would the lt rear be cv joint style?

That it would be! If you go on his site he has some pics of it.
Looks really promising!

where on his site ?
never seen any

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 am 

Ace wrote:
Ok scratch that I just looked, he took them off,
They used to be there.

ha thought i wasn't loosing my mind

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm 

Any updates or photos for this thread??