Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drakart Repairs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 pm 

Hi Brittabart,

Don't just hack into it, find someone with a lathe and turn off the inner section of the fine splined twisted section AT THE WELD. then with the damaged section removed hold the large tubular section in a vice, not too tight, and TAP the lower section out of the large tubular part.

Once you have the outer section off the inner section use a fine file and clean up the splines at the mouth of the large tubular part until they move freely. Some people have suggested using valve grinding paste on those splines to "loosen" them up.

Baz had the same problem with one of his axles, Baz found that a Holden Commodore middle section drive shaft piece fit, size and spline count wise. I bet if you go to your local car wreckers yard you will be able to match the spline with something that will fit.

Please keep us updated on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:45 pm 

Here is my yellow drak now fitted with a new mark 2 transmission and all new CV's.

Attachment:
new trans & CV's 001.JPG
new trans & CV's 001.JPG [ 54.9 KiB | Viewed 1365 times ]

Attachment:
new trans & CV's 002.JPG
new trans & CV's 002.JPG [ 76.87 KiB | Viewed 1365 times ]

Attachment:
new trans & CV's 003.JPG
new trans & CV's 003.JPG [ 83.79 KiB | Viewed 1365 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:11 pm 

I can try that tomorrow at our truck shop at work . I did try using valve grinding compound on the splines then taping but had no luck. Is there anything in these axles that can explode or anything under pressure to watch out for?

I can get Audi axles anywhere but this weird toothed larger inner plunging axle spline is what's going to kill me! Alain said he would make me new axles at first for 800, then it changed to "oh I'm not doing that you should just buy a new car and get rid of that one" after weeks of waiting. Screw that guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:39 pm 

How about putting 930 or type 2 cvs on it and get rid of that horrible axle set all together? It cant be to much trouble and you can put race quality parts on it! Just askin, it is what I would do

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:55 pm 

Lol, No there is nothing in there except maybe a little grease, on that note don't over do the grease when you re assemble or you might end up with a hydraulic lock. The splines on the larger section are some weird (surprised?) tooth form with a radius at the tooth root, probably to help prevent binding.

Only use the valve grinding paste on them once you have them apart, put a little paste inside the female section and then pump the male section in and out until they slide freely. Wow re reading that kind of sounds like, oh forget it, you know what I mean.

Yes you can re engineer the rear end and I have 2 transmissions that have Porsche 930 flanges on them, if you look at a post 2004 Formula Cross you will see how it's done. Personally I don't have a problem with the plunging axle setup, it works ok for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:58 pm 

Okay I'll give it go. Yeah I'll just plunge it in and out , in and out, slow a steady haha perverted mind on this girl :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:09 pm 

As for Alain, I know what you mean, I rang him about the 2 Don Johnson Draks I bought and all he wanted to do was sell me a new 4 stroke Tiger. I guess he doesn't get it that some people prefer 2 strokes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:19 pm 

Hahaha, perverted mind hey, glad it's not just me then!

This is one of the Transmissions with Porsche flanges, the shafts are beefed up to.

Attachment:
C-Moore Box 005.JPG
C-Moore Box 005.JPG [ 77.91 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:22 pm 

Brittabrat wrote:
Okay I'll give it go. Yeah I'll just plunge it in and out , in and out, slow a steady haha perverted mind on this girl :P
I like the way you think LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:
How about putting 930 or type 2 cvs on it and get rid of that horrible axle set all together? It cant be to much trouble and you can put race quality parts on it! Just askin, it is what I would do

Bout to. Just turned it on the lathe at work at the weld and it's solid still, it must be further up into the shaft... Damn what a tight bitch it is :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 pm 

It will probably be just inserted into the larger section then welded around, if you part the weld off and then grab the end and wobble it might come out without too much grief. They are 2 separate sections so it wont be solid.

Don't forget the photos.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm 

Brittabrat wrote:
Dave-Co wrote:

Bout to. Just turned it on the lathe at work at the weld and it's solid still, it must be further up into the shaft... Damn what a tight bitch it is :)

Hmmmm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:22 am 

Brittabrat wrote:

Uh oh, there goes my Dune Pariapism flaring up again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:16 pm 

Light taps didn't work. Had to use a press to punch it out. The splines are chewed up and the inside was full of metal shavings and dirt. Drive shaft is bent outside of the splines and so will have to cut the audi splines off and weld a new drive shaft to the male end if I can get the plunging to work again

Attachments:
IMG950277.jpg
IMG950277.jpg [ 46.17 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
IMG950278.jpg
IMG950278.jpg [ 64.46 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
IMG950279.jpg
IMG950279.jpg [ 35.19 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
IMG950280.jpg
IMG950280.jpg [ 30.84 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
IMG950281.jpg
IMG950281.jpg [ 34.42 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:40 pm 

Bummer, I didn't expect that, metal shavings inside are a worry. Are the metal shavings from pressing it out or were they there all the time? If the metal shavings have been there all along that will be your problem in the first place.

Is the small diameter hollow shaft with the male large splines still straight and usable?

I will PM you a phone number for a guy that might have the parts you need if you want to replace them. If the smaller hollow shaft is still straight your axles can probably still be salvaged.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:58 pm 

Like metals have to have plenty of grease or they will weld themselves together.

Hows your finger?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 pm 

oddozzie wrote:
Bummer, I didn't expect that, metal shavings inside are a worry. Are the metal shavings from pressing it out or were they there all the time? If the metal shavings have been there all along that will be your problem in the first place.

Is the small diameter hollow shaft with the male large splines still straight and usable?

I will PM you a phone number for a guy that might have the parts you need if you want to replace them. If the smaller hollow shaft is still straight your axles can probably still be salvaged.

It's slightly bent but the audi splines are unusable. Thinking of having it welded professionally if possible. Starting to clean up these larger splines now . I honestly believe it was like this before because it had no movement what so ever. The other side had plenty of movement and is greased and lubed up, guessing that just adding grease and riding it wasn't good enough. It did have small amounts of movement when I replaced the wheel bearing but not as much as the other side . That's why I thought grease and go would be okay ... Nope lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:06 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Like metals have to have plenty of grease or they will weld themselves together.

Hows your finger?

Boyfriends finger, knocked off a bunch of skin when he crashed on dirt bike.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:44 pm 

Cleaned up the best I could and no go. Axle is toast and for now drakart is staying on the work table until I either part it out or rework the rear end to use a straight axle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 pm 

What is the reason for not using common CVs and axles?
Is the geometry that far off that it needs plunging axles?
There was a guy on here that converted his drak to a 5 link on the rear. Maybe you could do something like this and use real axles and cvs.
Be a shame not to beat on it beacause of something simple like axles.

PS...I found you some pics because I like the way you think. :-)

Attachments:
drak1.jpg
drak1.jpg [ 107.22 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]
drak3.jpg
drak3.jpg [ 111.83 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 pm 

Honestly what I was wondering. Like the newer drakart has a solid axle. I'm wondering if limiting straps and a solid axle with the rear trailing arm moved further back would work? Alain told me it has to use a plunging axle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 pm 

Solid axle? Like the one in the pics right?

So Alain knows its wrong?

Rig up a test "axle" and see what is going on when you cycle the trailing arm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:10 pm 

I have heard people say that the plunging axles on the Drakarts will bind and stick and they have to be lapped in to loosen them up. I have 2 Drakarts and I have never had a problem with the plunging axle set up. CV boots were a problem for a while but since I fitted the CV boot protectors I haven't had a problem.

I have no doubt the post 2004 Drakart rear end setup is better but so far I have no reason to change mine, if it aint broke don't fix it!

I also think the crazy forward angle of the axles is strange but after talking to Alain and those in the know, I am assured that the angle actually helps with traction. I don't have any reason to use limiting straps, my suspension works really well, everyone that drives my Draks comments on the armchair ride.

Attachment:
Drakart jump.jpg
Drakart jump.jpg [ 83.6 KiB | Viewed 1192 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 pm 

I like the ride but these specialty parts is what ruins a season. This is the season for me and the boyfriend and the drakart has only been out for 2 days until it was down. Now in a month the season is over and i bet the drakart will still sit there waiting for some miracle.

I did call the guy in the UK and aftercrap... Last options.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:15 pm 

Very cool Ozzy. So it sounds like maintenance is the key to making them work reliably.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next