Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drakart Repairs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:
How about putting 930 or type 2 cvs on it and get rid of that horrible axle set all together? It cant be to much trouble and you can put race quality parts on it! Just askin, it is what I would do

Dave do you know the total plunge of the 930? I thought it was up to 6" but cannot be sure.

At full droop the axle extends out 4in and at full compress it's 3.7in in. If a 930 does do a 6in plunge then I don't see why it wouldn't work?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:14 pm 

So the axle changes 7.7" in length throughout the travel? Holy S!@T !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 pm 

Oops. Brittany made a uh oh there! Going to check again cause I did something wrong or stupid there!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 pm 

The problems with the axles is the plunge they rely on the splines to slide as the axles plunge when the suspension cycles.

What happens is the splines lock up when you cycle the suspension, when you land under a hard jump and the axle is under torque or load the splines cant slide as easy as they do on the bench, regardless how much you grease them or how good the grease or how lose you lap the splines so they slide easier they will eventually pull the CV apart because the splines cant move for that split second, it only takes a millisecond to rip the CV apart.

The CV's Alain used are suppose to be good for 550HP or some stupid amount of HP but the problem is 550HP is rotating force not trying to pull the axle apart forces.

Change the geometry of the the rear suspension so their is no plunge this should have been done on day one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:37 pm 

I agree with hoser, the rear needs a big update. I thought Honda was smokin something when they desinged the pilot rear end, this guy must have passed out on what he was smokin. Big issue I see is the big angle going not only down but back tword the front. Cvs cant like that much. If you were close I would help you, there is room to make a real good rear end that is un breakable with race quality parts that will never fail in that little car ever. It can be done

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:45 pm 

All rear suspensions will need plunge for cvs to live, I do not know the actual plunge of a 930 but tommorow I am rebuilding my 930 cvs on my Baja bug so I will try and figue that out for you. I know they plunge a lot but in my opinion rear redo and live happily ever after

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:26 pm 

hoser wrote:
Change the geometry of the the rear suspension so their is no plunge this should have been done on day one.

If you all have suggestions I am more than open to them!

Bent a tie rod on the pilot today when riding on a trail... Amazing I came down off a jump and hit a stump!!! Being the pilot a rock and tiedown strap got me going straight 20min later!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 pm 

Brittabrat wrote:
hoser wrote:

If you all have suggestions I am more than open to them!

Bent a tie rod on the pilot today when riding on a trail... Amazing I came down off a jump and hit a stump!!! Being the pilot a rock and tiedown strap got me going straight 20min later!

Hoserize your tie rods.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=814

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/tierod.htm

Do your trailing arms before you bend them also
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=1757

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:03 pm 

Way ahead of you! Boyfriend welding now haha better late than never!

I've done almost everything on your page hoser, aside from dropping in a rotax...yet!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:27 am 

Be mindfull that when you beef up your steering rods,that the FORCE will be lookin elsewhere! :shock:
I like to think of my steering rods as FUSES...protecting everything else downstream.
Much rather bend a SR than a knuckle,heim,ball joint,rim etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:17 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Be mindfull that when you beef up your steering rods,that the FORCE will be lookin elsewhere! :shock:
I like to think of my steering rods as FUSES...protecting everything else downstream.
Much rather bend a SR than a knuckle,heim,ball joint,rim etc.

Mine been hoserized since 1995 no bad affects yet, nothing else broken or bent other than front rims :-) I bent one tie rod one time when I first bought my Pilot then straighten and hoserized, still running all the factory tie rod ends.

Seen another Pilot owner that 1/2 hoserized his and broke a tie rod right next to where he duct taped the tube to the tie rod, he had no access to a welder, another member informed us that's why it broke they have a special name for what happens guess it acts like a lever if their is any movement in the tubing?

I know dozens of Pilots has had the tie rods hoserized over the years anybody else had any problems after hoserizing?

Its a very tested and verified modification...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 am 

So I bought some citroen 2cv axles and got them today. Alain also sent me a pair of citroen male ends after weeks of no answers or responses calling me saying it's all he can do and has nothing else. The Audi hubs on my drakart don't fit the citroen splines.

So... Anyone have an idea on where I should go from here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:52 am 

The Citroen splines are smaller? Did you try Steve Bishop (Professional Liar) at chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts, if you get to talk to him tell him the hubs you need are for the earlier model NOT the Audi axles. Everyone wants the Audi axles, he may have some of the earlier Citroen hubs.

Another option is to try Drakman from this site, he has played with and owned both the earlier and the later formula cross machines, he may have hubs or know where to get some.

There must be quite a few of these hubs somewhere because so many earlier Drakarts were converted to the Audi axles.

If all else fails try Mike Taylor in the UK he will have them.

I think i have his number, if you need it let me know.

Good luck.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:21 am 

Try the SAAB's-93 model and earlier.
I know that the axles have the same spline ends,which I needed to cut off and weld back in to the plunging section.
Maybe the earlier ones might have the smaller your looking for?
I have the pics etc somewhere on this site.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:44 am 

If all else fails,I'm sure a suitable small car tailshaft slip-joint could be adapted?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 am 

The Citroen axles are unique, the Audi or Saab CV's wont go anywhere near fitting. The Citroen axles are reduced in size where they go into the actual CV. If all else fails you could make or have the hubs made. It wouldn't take more than a hour or so to turn them up on a lathe but you have to have the internal teeth cut for the splines.

The Audi and Citroen hubs are identical except for the spline diameter.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 am 

Knowitall! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm 

there's a place in New York that cell citreon axles that's where I got mine from

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:46 pm 

halorising wrote:
there's a place in New York that cell citreon axles that's where I got mine from

Please post all the details you can please, contact info, cost etc.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:11 pm 

Hahahaha, Baz, I had to sell all our encyclopedias, no need for them because the wife knows everything!

I looked at using Citroen axles as an emergency thing for my machines.

Brittabrat, just a thought, try ATVR they did play with these things for a while. When you talk to people about the axles stress that you want the Citroen axle hubs.

Another thought, try that guy "nofearmxer" i think was his handle, he is the guy that converted his Drakart to a 5 link rear end. I know he had his old arms and trailing arms complete with hubs. His machine is for sale somewhere, i saw it not long ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:12 pm 

Called Steve at chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts, voicemail is full and no email response..

Mike is all out in the UK, and isn't planning on another run for this obsolete model.

Will try drakman.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:22 pm 

Does anyone know the PCD/ stud patern of the Citroen 2CV. Is it possible that the Standard Citreon hubs will fit thwe Drakart?

http://www.citroen-2cv-parts.com/index. ... t&part=292

I have a small language problem with this site, but this is where i get my Drakart related parts.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:29 pm 

I saw these all over eBay AU

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111286986508

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:19 pm 

Hi Brittabrat, These guys are near me, i have sent them a message to see if i can get their address.

If they will let me, i will take a Drakart/Citroen hub to them and see what if anything can be matched up.

I have a friend here that has one of the ex Drakman/ATVR machines with the Citroen axles and hubs.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:39 pm 

Thank you. I gave Neil at ATVR a call and he said he may have a set and even a axle or two maybe. Going to check tomorrow morning for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next