Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:58 am 

Through some fancy wheeling and dealing I have finally turned a childhood dream of the ultimate off road Go-kart to reality. I have acquired a much adorned FL350. I love things that are relatively stock. Bolt on mods that add much needed horsepower are my favorite, living threw the frustrations of re-inventing the wheel are not. I do enjoy the labors of the well thought out Honda engineers who have struggled to make a turn key joy ride such as the fl350 a reality. Unfortunately finding an unmolested vehicle that was made for only one year isn't always possible. I am no stranger to machines, I love to weld, upgrade, and build engines; but sometimes things that bolt together just feel so right.
Attachment:
MyOdy2.jpg
MyOdy2.jpg [ 64.23 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]

My latest struggle is piecing together this Odyssey. It finally moved under its own power last night after several months of blood, sweat, and tears of finding and piecing together parts. Due to some "back yard engineering" from the previous owner it has a twin cylinder Engine from a 1979 Polaris Apollo 340cc. They cut off the front Engine mounts from the Odyssey and welded on the Engine plate from the snowmobile straight to the frame. The Engine runs well, with good compression and power. I just cant get the power to the wheels because the belt is too long and out of alignment. If you can see from the pictures, the Engine is welded in crooked, not only horizontal, but vertically as well.

Attachment:
0206151602.jpg
0206151602.jpg [ 75.51 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]

Attachment:
0206151603.jpg
0206151603.jpg [ 62.34 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]

I have a welder, but I'm unsure where to go from here. I could attempt to align the existing Engine plate, and find a custom size belt. (I have similar belt to stock size Gates 38x4420.) Or try to go back to stock, because the last owner gave me a complete FL350 long block and wiring harness.

Another Idea I had was to weld on the stock Engine mounts from a stock Fl350 and buy a Engine plate from Farr-offroad. (Leaning toward) http://www.farr-offroad.com/apps/websto ... ow/2883228
Attachment:
DSC01304-1.JPG
DSC01304-1.JPG [ 201.1 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]

Either way I have to fix the way the Engine mounts to the frame. One idea was to find a front Engine mount frame cutoff from a Fl350, closest I found was this Pilot cutoff.(far right)
Attachment:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG [ 74.28 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151532673002?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

If you have a frame cutout for the front mounts or perhaps a measurement so I can try to reconstruct them would be appreciated. Any suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:28 am 

Well it looks like you have a very big project ahead of you.
It is impossible to see exactly what the skillbilly butchered on the original mounts with the Engine still in there. You have a better view than us but cutting out any part of the original frame to scab in some tube with mounts attached I think is a bad idea. I have welded on oddy tubing a few times now and I can tell you it is very very thin. I struggled with a wire welder. Burned a few holes and had to fill, and I am a ticketed welder. What do you think about mounting a plate across the bottom and make mounts on that ?? Of coarse you would have to remove what ever the skillbilly scabbed in but so what, it is all crooked anyways. Like I said it is difficult for us to see what you got with that Engine in the way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:08 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Well it looks like you have a very big project ahead of you.
It is impossible to see exactly what the skillbilly butchered on the original mounts with the Engine still in there. You have a better view than us but cutting out any part of the original frame to scab in some tube with mounts attached I think is a bad idea. I have welded on oddy tubing a few times now and I can tell you it is very very thin. I struggled with a wire welder. Burned a few holes and had to fill, and I am a ticketed welder. What do you think about mounting a plate across the bottom and make mounts on that ?? Of coarse you would have to remove what ever the skillbilly scabbed in but so what, it is all crooked anyways. Like I said it is difficult for us to see what you got with that Engine in the way.

i would try to find another frame or i would see if some one on here has one with from end damage that has a good rear end to chop out

where are you located?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:23 am 

No progress on the Ody.its been too cold. I live near Cleveland, Ohio and I believe its currently -8* Fahrenheit outside. The ody is in my garage but I have to build a fire to make it even a little warm in there.

I think I'm going to try different size belts. I did some part # reading and converting and found out some different sizes of belts that may work. They arrive by UPS on monday. I should make a chart to show other people the sizes of belts that my work for them if they have their own custom belt problems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:39 am 

RoboRex2005 wrote:
No progress on the Ody.its been too cold. I live near Cleveland, Ohio and I believe its currently -8* Fahrenheit outside. The ody is in my garage but I have to build a fire to make it even a little warm in there.

I think I'm going to try different size belts. I did some part # reading and converting and found out some different sizes of belts that may work. They arrive by UPS on monday. I should make a chart to show other people the sizes of belts that my work for them if they have their own custom belt problems.

Seems like you have decided.
Since you are going to keep that Engine in there you will have to fix that mounting set up.
I think the vibrations will tear the front mounts off the frame.
Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:30 am 

I would just ditch the stock sled mounting plate all together.

Nothing against Farr's plates, but they aren't made for the Engine you've got. Bolt spacing is wrong, and Engine/trans alignment is likely off. And you'd have to rebuild the stock frame Engine mounts.

Go buy some pieces of steel from Lowes and make your own. Make the base plate first (minor cutting + hole drilling). Bolt it on (with rubber vibe spacers from sled mount) and then hang the whole Engine in place with a pair of ratchet straps. Use some cardboard for templates, cut the pieces out per the templates, tack weld for fit try, and then done. Prob cost you under $25 and no waiting weeks for parts to arrive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 pm 

The belts have arrived. I did find a belt that may work. It seems to be a little long but near the correct length. I don't have many options in the width I need to fit the primary clutch on the Polaris motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) which is 1.375 wide, stock ody is 1.1875. If i were to change the primary clutch to the stock size, belt sizes are nearly endless. I'm not sure if a wider belt will work correctly with the stock odyssey secondary clutch attached to the transmission. I do know you can take apart and adjust the spring tension on the secondary clutch. I should just buy a commit clutch set, but there expensive.

I think I'm going to try to align the existing sled plate first with this shorter belt. Does anyone have experience with custom Engine sizes and belts or alignment?

The stock sled plate has rubber hockey puck style Engine mounts recessed and stamped into the plate under the Engine. vibrations doesn't seem that bad yet, but will see when its running.

Profile E-mail