Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:20 am 

DaveM wrote:
Big singles work good. Got the torque down low. Our group has my KLX650, a 660 Raptor, and a 500 Sportsman. 2 shifters and the sportsman runs a CVT. Mine is the only Odyssey, but the other buggies are similar in size, and both of them are heavier.

Yamaha 660 Raptor. If I build another buggy, it will have this Engine. Works awesome, has built in reverse, and dry sump oiling.

Farr was working on a Sportsman 500 swap. Haven't seen any updates though.

I did a lot of research when I was looking for a good 4 stroke to swap in. My concern with a multi cylinder street bike Engine is the torque is way up in the RPM's. You would be screaming in revs all the time. Not really conducive to the type of ridding we do. But I would be happy to be proven wrong if someone successfully does it.

Also packaging a 4 cylinder Engine in an Oddy frame with exhaust air intake will be tight.
A big single leaves lots of room.
My KLX650( bored to 678cc). 6900 rpm tops.

I like the idea of the single cylinder, I think I'm going to pick something like that,I'll be riding in the sand at glamis ca. Do you have any regrets about the Engine?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm 

If your going to ride dunes and like the soft sand, tall hills and going fast I would first watch the ATV your going to use as a Engine donor at the dunes first doing the same things you like to do in the Odyssey, your going to add 200-300 lbs to the donor quad that's going to slow it down quite a bit.

If I was to make a wild ass guess any single cylinder 4 stroke quad or motorcycle Engine you install will be about the same as a all stock FL350 in the sand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 pm 

Stock FL350 Engine is about what, 27hp? Is that with the orignal head, or the lower compression ones?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 pm 

duwem wrote:
Stock FL350 Engine is about what, 27hp? Is that with the orignal head, or the lower compression ones?

Not sure I thought it was 32 hp I know for a fact they put a power stroke to the ground every time the crankshaft makes a 360 degree turn and the 4 stroke only puts power to the ground every other rotation of the crank shaft :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:49 am 

That's partly why you need 700cc in a 4 stroke. Bigger bang per stroke, but half the strokes. Hoser I know you will defend your passion for 2 strokes to the death, and that is ok by me. If someone makes the decision to put a stock 350 Engine in, fine by me,a small sled Engine, a big sled Engine, or a twin turbo 1300cc monster, who am I to tell them different. I can only share my experiences with the intent to get them to their goal, out riding. I only responded because the twin chain drive on 760rider's machine is pretty similar to what I have.
I'm not saying that an Engine like I have is better idea, nor a worse idea than a sled or a stock or modified 350 Engine. It is just the option that I chose and I am very happy with it. And to me building stuff is half the fun.
And don't get hung up on rated horsepower numbers as a deciding factor. It's all about using the power efficiently for the type of riding you do. Where the Engine makes it's power is as important. I dropped 50 hp (rated) going from the Rotax 670 to the KLX 650, but I have almost the same usable power. I gave up the ability to throw rocks at the people behind me when I'm taking off, but overall it does not show that I have half the power I had before. For the riding I do. Will it stay with a stock FL350 ripping full song across the dunes? I don't know, maybe I should drag this thing down to Silver Lake MI and we can meet up and try each others machine out. I bet we both come back with smiles on our faces because these things are a blast no matter what Engine is pushing them around.:-)
Here's teaser vid from the back of my Oddy with the 670 being followed by the 660 Raptor powered buggy which is about 60lbs heavier than mine. I'm not getting away much.

And with the 650 4 stroke.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:58 pm 

Man I really hope I can get on some trails this summer!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:02 pm 

DaveM wrote:
That's partly why you need 700cc in a 4 stroke. Bigger bang per stroke, but half the strokes. Hoser I know you will defend your passion for 2 strokes to the death, and that is ok by me. If someone makes the decision to put a stock 350 Engine in, fine by me,a small sled Engine, a big sled Engine, or a twin turbo 1300cc monster, who am I to tell them different. I can only share my experiences with the intent to get them to their goal, out riding. I only responded because the twin chain drive on 760rider's machine is pretty similar to what I have.
I'm not saying that an Engine like I have is better idea, nor a worse idea than a sled or a stock or modified 350 Engine. It is just the option that I chose and I am very happy with it. And to me building stuff is half the fun.
And don't get hung up on rated horsepower numbers as a deciding factor. It's all about using the power efficiently for the type of riding you do. Where the Engine makes it's power is as important. I dropped 50 hp (rated) going from the Rotax 670 to the KLX 650, but I have almost the same usable power. I gave up the ability to throw rocks at the people behind me when I'm taking off, but overall it does not show that I have half the power I had before. For the riding I do. Will it stay with a stock FL350 ripping full song across the dunes? I don't know, maybe I should drag this thing down to Silver Lake MI and we can meet up and try each others machine out. I bet we both come back with smiles on our faces because these things are a blast no matter what Engine is pushing them around.:-)
Here's teaser vid from the back of my Oddy with the 670 being followed by the 660 Raptor powered buggy which is about 60lbs heavier than mine. I'm not getting away much.

And with the 650 4 stroke.

I am curious what your shifter mechanism looks like for the KLX 650 powered setup. Any pictures? Is it mounted down by the stock FL350 shifter position?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:37 pm 

I won't load up 760rider's thread with my stuff, so go here.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8463" ."..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 pm 

DaveM wrote:
I won't load up 760rider's thread with my stuff, so go here.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8463" .".." ."..

its ok man, I love the video! nice job on your ody, did you install a gas pedal on it? I wish i had some trails like that here, looks like fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 pm 

Foot throttle went in because the 670 carbs were too stiff to use the thumb throttle for more than 5 minutes. It now has pedals for throttle, brake and clutch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:01 pm 

Well I was thinking about the gas tank, I have the stock odyssey tank( surprisingly rust free) but no cap. But I do have the fuel pump for it and was wondering if it would work for my gravity tank? Also just ordered some stuff for my oddy, bought some more chain, gas pedal, and bought some wheel adapters for the back. I also bought trx arms and shocks to do the a-arm conversion sometime.

Attachments:
File comment: Here's the fuel pump.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 62.93 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]
 Profile E-mail