Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:00 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Ok, you guys got me! This thread has thrown my interest into a conversion project.
Now I have several questions about it and I have 100% no knowledge on sled engines and such, so please bear with me.
1-the 583 kit Farr sells for the Pilot-does that come with carbs, I don't see it listed as such. If no carbs are supplied, do you guys use 2 carbs or purchase a 2-1 intake for the Engine. Are they even made a 2-1 intake?
2-if they do make a 2-1 intake, what carb works best? Larger, smaller? Also air boxs? Pictures of your guys current set up would be sweet indeed, especially for the back yard guy. Is there room for a box style set up using this Engine?
3-fuel-I see that the stock OEM tank will not work, as pictured above an afternarket one is the way to go, does it work off gravity to supply the Engine?
4-cooling. What type radiator have/are you guys using currently? Pictures?
5-the alignment belt wise, I see in the thread a different belt is/has been found to utilize stock pilot trans clutch. Can you guys clarify the belt maker, size please? Any issues running the SUPPLIED CLUTCH TO stock trans?
6-wire harness. Farr supplies from reading above just a secondary kill switch that is added to the OEM harness, that's all? Everything OEM in the Pilot harness is utilized for the rotax Engine? No other modifications are needed?
I am sure I will have more question. It was funny I was looking back at files I had here way back from the darkside issues. There was several fellas which tried to sell a similair kit for conversions for a ton of cash-and it never took off. Seems to me this fella Farr is really helping the community out by making this kit almost(and I am making this statement purely from reading posts here)bolt in, really seems like the kit is a win win. Kudos to him.

This kit came with carbs, see his pic http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-PILOT-FL- ... 7675.l2557 .

I also emailed him about the Engine and what all had been refurbished. He said he does not rebuild the crank so it will have the used lower crank bearing. Everything else is new he said

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:28 pm 

Ah thanks for the link, I did not know he sold them on Ebay as well.
I will send him an email in regards to his online store versus the ebay auctions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:30 pm 

I talked to him today and hope to have his kit within two weeks. ill start a build post once I get it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:32 pm 

ChrisV wrote:
I talked to him today and hope to have his kit within two weeks. ill start a build post once I get it.

what did you decide to purchase the 583 FL400R Conversion kit? Does it come with carbs?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 am 

i bought a 670 kit (why not go big). it does come with carbs. :-)

i still need to come up with the following parts
1. Fuel tank and roll over valve
2. radiator and fan

Emmanuel said the stock radiator and fan should actually work. I may try it and powder coat the fuel tank satin black. keep is as stock looking as possible

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:48 pm 

ChrisV wrote:
i bought a 670 kit (why not go big). it does come with carbs. :-)

i still need to come up with the following parts
1. Fuel tank and roll over valve
2. radiator and fan

Emmanuel said the stock radiator and fan should actually work. I may try it and powder coat the fuel tank satin black. keep is as stock looking as possible

the stock fl400 radiator works with my 537 rotax no problem
all i see is more heat from the 670 so it might work out just fine if not install a honda civic radiator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:54 pm 

That is the plan. I need done input on what size tank to buy. I'll try to get that and done clutch fibers ordered tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:25 am 

The pilot rad wont work. We tried on Steves Pilot and it ran really hot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:40 am 

halorising wrote:
The pilot rad wont work. We tried on Steves Pilot and it ran really hot.

what he said lol. pilot rad is too small. my 670 really likes the aftermarket civic rad and fan. plus, sell the pilot radiator and buy 3-4 civic radiators. no brained to me lol. also if you ever need a replacement and need it the same day, I will say 95% of junkyards will have a civic radiator.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:54 am 

Why not ask FL670R what he used in his Pilot and why?
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=33

Going by memory he had problems with his running hot, building pressure and it was blowing hot coolant past the water pump seal into the rotary valve drive gear case turning all the oil that lubes the drive gear and bearings to a muck. Think the problem went away when he upgraded the cooling system. Details are fuzzy it was a while ago when this happen.

I run the Pilot radiator and one radiator off a 85 ATC250R on my 440 Pilot no over heating problems so far, I figured the Pilot radiator is good for a honest 65 HP and the ATC250R radiators are good for about 50HP so my setup is good for 90HP my Engine came from the factory 82 to 95 HP depending on the model it was used in and the pipes and carbs used I have it detuned and guess its a honest 70HP with the single pipe and single 38mm carb.

If I was going to swap out my 440 for my 583 Engine a radiator change would probably be included, adding the second radiator off the 85 ATC250R might be tried first if it was fast and easy to install.

I would have to dig it out but I think the TRX450R radiator is bigger than the Pilot radiator I bought one with a fan on it for like 35 bux shipped off evilbay.

I have seen the Pilot radiators listed for some really high prices not sure what they are actually selling for but selling the Pilot radiator and fan and using something else would probably be more profitable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:50 am 

These 2-up L/C Rotax engines out of a sled will run hot on an ATV radiator. On the sled, the long finned heat exchangers are cooled by a steady supply of snow from the track. Google it. And they're generally run in the winter (when there's snow).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:03 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
These 2-up L/C Rotax engines out of a sled will run hot on an ATV radiator. On the sled, the long finned heat exchangers are cooled by a steady supply of snow from the track. Google it. And they're generally run in the winter (when there's snow).

Right the sled my 440 came out of had a radiator and tunnel cooling, heat exchangers located under the tunnel that rely on snow as part of the cooling system, the radiator was about the same capacity of one my ATC250R radiators, most if not all sleds are like this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 am 

thanks for the input. Ill see about getting soemthing like this on order today. I wonder if i can get a cap set to relieve at the same OEM pressure of the pilot cap?

http://www.rickskraschsite.com/catalog. ... ID=KDCR-SA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:08 pm 

My only concern would be the fan if its automotive quality, they were using the flat style motors on some of the Briggsbuilt cars and they would last only a 1/2 season at best then take a shit, I did a CSI on one they threw in the trash and the magnets came off the housing and got all jammed up with the rotor locked it up.

I would only feel comfortable with a fan off a ATV that was made for the bumps and jumps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:13 pm 

ChrisV wrote:
thanks for the input. Ill see about getting soemthing like this on order today. I wonder if i can get a cap set to relieve at the same OEM pressure of the pilot cap?

http://www.rickskraschsite.com/catalog. ... ID=KDCR-SA

I run that as is with no issues. awesome setup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:15 pm 

hoser wrote:
My only concern would be the fan if its automotive quality, they were using the flat style motors on some of the Briggsbuilt cars and they would last only a 1/2 season at best then take a shit, I did a CSI on one they threw in the trash and the magnets came off the housing and got all jammed up with the rotor locked it up.

I would only feel comfortable with a fan off a ATV that was made for the bumps and jumps.

I ran an 8" automotive fan for 3 seasons on my 570 odyssey with no issues. only reason I'm replacing it is because I upgraded to a larger radiator. my 670 pilot has a 10 or 12" fan with no issues so far

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:25 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
hoser wrote:

I ran an 8" automotive fan for 3 seasons on my 570 odyssey with no issues. only reason I'm replacing it is because I upgraded to a larger radiator. my 670 pilot has a 10 or 12" fan with no issues so far

Go jump it 4-8 feet in the air about 250 times let it know how its working out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 pm 

hoser wrote:
nitrosport_5 wrote:
hoser wrote:

sounds like a challenge? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:01 pm 

B S wrote:
hoser wrote:
nitrosport_5 wrote:
hoser wrote:

Yeah, you need a little jump meter, like an hour meter on an Engine, to keep track.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:13 pm 

I use a Spal fan. It is a pull model... Sits behind the radiator.... Keeps a 700 Big block twin cool for me.
Regards Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:54 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
B S wrote:
hoser wrote:
nitrosport_5 wrote:
hoser wrote:

Yeah, you need a little jump meter, like an hour meter on an Engine, to keep track.

Yeah or go racing on tracks like the two Briggsbuilts I seen having a problem you can count the jumps and laps :-) See I would have did a CSI on the first fan that failed soon as I seen the magnets separated from the housing I would have sought out a fan off a ATV and installed not these guys they just kept changing fans and kept a few new in the box inside their "race" trailer so when they failed they could swap them out between race heats.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 am 

go oddy wrote:
I use a Spal fan. It is a pull model... Sits behind the radiator.... Keeps a 700 Big block twin cool for me.
Regards Steve

any pictures by chance or link to purchase please if you have it, thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:24 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
go oddy wrote:
Regards Steve

https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/prod ... x?count=50

Here is a link. I will get some pictures posted up soon.
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 am 

go oddy wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:
go oddy wrote:
Regards Steve

Regards

damm there expensive :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 am 

B S wrote:
go oddy wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:
go oddy wrote:
Regards Steve

Regards

damm there expensive :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If your in no hurry go to evilbay and buy something OEM off a ATV I bought a TRX450 radiator and fan for like 35 bux shipped, use the fan save the radiator for another project or resell on evilbay.

Profile E-mail