Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:40 am 

I got a FL350 sight unseen off of Las Vegas CL. It supposedly ran before a crack in the intake manifold 2 years ago caused it to be sidelined. This repair log is to hopefully document the path to returning it to working condition and to solicit advice from the pros!

The first thing confirmed was that the intake manifold boot was indeed cracked. I have an aftermarket carb and aluminum intake manifold so I need a new rubber carb adapter. At Hoser's suggestion I will get a Mikuni replacement.

I took off the carb bowl and found a mess. Took out the reed cage and found a smaller mess. Looks like a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) rebuild is in order as I can see rusty crap down inside the Engine.

Attachments:
Bottom of carb.jpg
Bottom of carb.jpg [ 42.47 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]
Bottom side of reed cage.jpg
Bottom side of reed cage.jpg [ 48.48 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]
Crap in intake.jpg
Crap in intake.jpg [ 35.01 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:17 pm 

Bottom end looks like it's going to be a rust bucket....I sure hope I'm wrong!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:35 am 

Oh ya, this one is gonna need a total rebuild. I've got an Engine sitting in a chassis right now that had a quart of oil-gas-water in it. Filled it with some cheapy 2-stroke oil until I get to it.

Its not hard to rebuild the lower end, really.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:57 pm 

Well that sucks rust is never a good sign, you have more pics of that reed cage ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:58 am 

Yup, that sucks bad. Need anything?

Crack that bad boy open n see what its going to take. Big end rod bearing suck because you need to have the crank separated then pressed back together in a jig.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:34 pm 

any updates?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 pm 

Finally back at it. My son is dying to drive this thing and has been pestering me all summer to start working on the oddy again. Too bad life gets in the way. My son unhooked everything from the Engine (and then lost all the pics when his phone was stolen) and we pulled the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) out. Found a broken mount in the process. Started to take off the pull starter cover and rusty water started dripping out. After probably a cup of water leaked out we got the cover off to find a rust covered flywheel. Took off the flywheel and found and an inch of rusty sludge sitting in the bottom of the case. :shock: Can't wait to see what else we will find! :-)

Attachments:
broken mount.jpg
broken mount.jpg [ 73.66 KiB | Viewed 1224 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 47.28 KiB | Viewed 1224 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 50.61 KiB | Viewed 1224 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 50.26 KiB | Viewed 1224 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:39 am 

Looks like poor ol Ody was used as a submarine? :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:18 am 

sucks about the trans mount being broke hopefully you can make a new one or reinforce it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:25 pm 

Ugh...those were the pics I was afraid of. I've got an Engine just like that awaiting teardown.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:08 pm 

Made my own puller and we got the flywheel (or whatever the part that rotates around the stator is called) off. So how do I check to see if the stator is any good? Considering part of it was submerged in the sludge I would guess its no good. Will get a pic up later.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:48 pm 

Chances are it may still be good. Usually its not water that kills electronics its when they are powered and get wet and short out. There are ohm resistance numbers in the service manual. Will tell you if it is in spec

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:29 pm 

Here is what the stator looks like. Am I OK to bead blast the flywheel or whatever the part is that rotates around the stator?

Attachments:
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 87.06 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 81.33 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:11 pm 

Hey Pyro, do a search for Vinegar and salt when it comes to removing rust, or apple cider vinegar, it'll make those parts look like new.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:39 pm 

Finally took the cylinder off to see that the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) had indeed seized. So much for a running Oddy when it was parked! The crank still wouldn't spin after removing the cylinder and I figured the bearings are full of rust. That was enough for me so I took the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) over to a friend who does a ton of work on old McCulloch go-kart motors. He split the case and bored out the cylinder for a 80.5mm piston. He said that the crank cleaned up nicely. I am getting ready to order new bearings and seals from OddAtv.

Profile E-mail