Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:37 am 

I ordered a silencer that finally came today. Looks like it will work nicely. I'll have to cut off the brackets and reroute the inlet pipe. And put some kinda turn on the outlet so it doesn't dump on my frame. I plan to polish the intake I built as well so they should look good together.

Attachments:
1402374703962.jpg
1402374703962.jpg [ 54.67 KiB | Viewed 1130 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:42 am 

jknarfal wrote:
I ordered a silencer that finally came today. Looks like it will work nicely. I'll have to cut off the brackets and reroute the inlet pipe. And put some kinda turn on the outlet so it doesn't dump on my frame. I plan to polish the intake I built as well so they should look good together.

what did the silencer come off of ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:48 am 

The listing said 600-800 skidoo. It's made by snow stuff. I wanted a silencer that looked good and was ment to be used with this Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:49 am 

The listing said 600-800 skidoo. It's made by snow stuff. I wanted a silencer that looked good and was ment to be used with this Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:09 am 

jknarfal wrote:

Price

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:16 am 

Hey do you run oil injection or mix the fuel? I originally planned to delete the oil injection. But after doing some reading I'm concerned about the bearings being oiled properly. I'm looking for a oil reservoir but I'm not sure of the capacity. The tank the snow-mo had was fairly large but so was the fuel tank. The silencer was $100 used and that was cheap for what I found.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:13 am 

jknarfal wrote:
Hey do you run oil injection or mix the fuel? I originally planned to delete the oil injection. But after doing some reading I'm concerned about the bearings being oiled properly. I'm looking for a oil reservoir but I'm not sure of the capacity. The tank the snow-mo had was fairly large but so was the fuel tank. The silencer was $100 used and that was cheap for what I found.

i run 32/1 premix so i don't have to worry about a oil injection pump failing

i use super M smokeless oil

nirtosport has his oil injection in his pilot on his 670 HO seams to be working fine

you just need to make sure you have a oil res for the rotery valve/water pump bearing

i looped a hose from the bottom to the top and filled it with oil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:48 am 

B S wrote:
jknarfal wrote:

nirtosport has his oil injection in his pilot on his 670 HO seams to be working fine

you just need to make sure you have a oil res for the rotery valve/water pump bearing

Most the ROTAX rotary valve engines I have seen have a reservoir that holds about 1 pint of oil, this reservoir is JUST FOR THE ROTARY VALVE DRIVE LUBRICATION its not used for oil injection that's another reservoir your Engine maybe different I just assumed ROTAX had the big reservoir because it was needed and that's why they went to the extra expense of installing one, I know after burning about 4 gallons of gas without stopping when you do stop to fill up the gas tank the oil reservoir is noticeably hot maybe its also designed to lube the rotary/water pump drive and cool the gears and seals?

Now I have the ability to weld aluminum one of the projects on my list is to make a reservoir that is bigger and has some heat sinks attached to dissipate the heat since my Engine that was originally designed to be run below freezing now spends most its life running 70 and above.

I also mounted my tank at the same height in relationship to the Engine as it was originally installed in the sled since I was unsure if that height affected the oil flow.

I change the oil in my reservoir once a season it always comes out clean, I have seen a few of these engines that had a brass residue in the bottom of the reservoirs :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:52 am 

hoser wrote:
B S wrote:
jknarfal wrote:

Most the ROTAX rotary valve engines I have seen have a reservoir that holds about 1 pint of oil, this reservoir is JUST FOR THE ROTARY VALVE DRIVE LUBRICATION its not used for oil injection that's another reservoir your Engine maybe different I just assumed ROTAX had the big reservoir because it was needed and that's why they went to the extra expense of installing one, I know after burning about 4 gallons of gas without stopping when you do stop to fill up the gas tank the oil reservoir is noticeably hot maybe its also designed to lube the rotary/water pump drive and cool the gears and seals?

Now I have the ability to weld aluminum one of the projects on my list is to make a reservoir that is bigger and has some heat sinks attached to dissipate the heat since my Engine that was originally designed to be run below freezing now spends most its life running 70 and above.

I also mounted my tank at the same height in relationship to the Engine as it was originally installed in the sled since I was unsure if that height affected the oil flow.

I change the oil in my reservoir once a season it always comes out clean, I have seen a few of these engines that had a brass residue in the bottom of the reservoirs :shock:

i know rotax had two different ways
one was a small oil res by its self and the other was tied into the oil injection tank
my 537 had a small res and the 670 has a 2 in one oil res

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:05 pm 

Ok so the oil going to the two lines into the Engine doesn't get consumed only recalculated. Interesting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:07 pm 

Mine has the oil bottle with both injection and rotary valve gear lube in one. I've been running the oil injection and it works great. I'm the only guy in our group that runs a 2 stroke, and I use the most fuel. Its nice on longer trips I'm able to pull some fuel if needed from my stepdads sandrail as that vw just sips the fuel lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:58 pm 

The pre mix is most desirable to me because I have 2 other 350s and a banshee. So if I were to run the oil injection it would be the odd ball in my fleet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:01 pm 

jknarfal wrote:
The pre mix is most desirable to me because I have 2 other 350s and a banshee. So if I were to run the oil injection it would be the odd ball in my fleet.

that's what i would do then

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:04 pm 

Guys, do like I did, I learned everything their was to know about a Type 454 Rotax, I spent days searching the web and reading about my Engine and its history, I found the factory manuals, went to the online parts sites looked at the parts break down, asked too many questions to the Type 454 gurus to find the do's and don't's of my Engine, even found out the abuses it will take.

Rotax engines for the most part are rock solid reliable, they last a long time, they COST A LOT OF MONEY to repair (price the parts) I would not want to learn hard way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:07 pm 

got any photos of your completed pipe out of the odyssey?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:09 pm 

jknarfal wrote:

Mine is premix also but it came from the factory that way, when I installed the PWC intake and carb it came with the oil injection I decided I didnt know enough about them to run it on my Engine and didnt think I could afford the learning curve if I did something wrong so I pre mix it, if the Engine came from a running sled with oil injection I would not be opposed to running it but I would richen up the mixture where the Engine received more oil than when it was in the sled.

Again go find the gurus for your Engine tell them the application ask them what they think about running the Engine in that application what they would do and not do to make it last the longest, power should not be a issue so focus on longevity :-) $$$

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:59 pm 

The exhaust isn't finished yet. Still have a lot to do on it. I been doing a little here and little there. My back has been bothering me lately and more so in the evenings and that's when I usually work on it. But I'll post more pics as I go. Has anyone here had a Engine fail due to the removal of the oil injection system?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:18 pm 

jknarfal wrote:
The exhaust isn't finished yet. Still have a lot to do on it. I been doing a little here and little there. My back has been bothering me lately and more so in the evenings and that's when I usually work on it. But I'll post more pics as I go. Has anyone here had a Engine fail due to the removal of the oil injection system?

nope not that we know of

just run some good quailty oil but...you probally know that already

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:18 pm 

jknarfal wrote:

im just wondering how you cut the chamber pipe to fit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:37 pm 

The exhaust is tricky to do. It's about half way done. From what I understand in order for it to remain tuned. You cannot add or remove material. I haven't finished the header curve yet. But the main body of the expansion chamber is where I want it to be. And seems to fit nicely. It will be close to the seat. The seat also touches the RAVE valves. I am over 6' tall so I want the seat all the way back. So my remedy for this is I will add a spacer th the rear mounts on the seat. I'll sit slightly more upright but it won't effect my desperatly needed leg room.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:49 pm 

jknarfal wrote:
The exhaust is tricky to do. It's about half way done. From what I understand in order for it to remain tuned. You cannot add or remove material. I haven't finished the header curve yet. But the main body of the expansion chamber is where I want it to be. And seems to fit nicely. It will be close to the seat. The seat also touches the RAVE valves. I am over 6' tall so I want the seat all the way back. So my remedy for this is I will add a spacer th the rear mounts on the seat. I'll sit slightly more upright but it won't effect my desperatly needed leg room.

you can all a little bit to if if you need to
if i remember right the 670's are the ones that are super picky with the chamber pipes size

i added some voluime to my 537 and it diddnt run any difffrent

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:25 pm 

Well how it's looking it would be easier to remove some. But when I get a chance I'll mess with it again and see if I can't make it happen without going ether way. I had stopped originally because I didn't have the starter bracket. But I have that now so I can continue. I've been doing lots of small stuff cleaning and painting. And ordering more parts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 pm 

This is what I have so far. Planned on working on it this past weekend but it was over a hundred and I have no cooler in my shop.

Attachments:
1402454912589.jpg
1402454912589.jpg [ 34.62 KiB | Viewed 1075 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 pm 

This is the oil reservoir I was thinking of using. It may be perfect to use for the shaft oiler with pre mix. These are cheap too. Around $30 New on eBay. This one is missing the sight glass. But they come with it new. So you would be able to keep a eye on the level and cleanliness of the oil.

Attachments:
1402455495074.jpg
1402455495074.jpg [ 20.99 KiB | Viewed 1074 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:25 pm 

that should work fine

have you got anything else done?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next