Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do? What to do ?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:16 pm 

Hey. New here. Thought i'd say hello.
Starting a resto on a 1989 FL-400.
The project will be pretty straight forward as the FL in question is just in need of powder coat / bushings / and what ever pops up after 25 years of storage.
Call me a pessimist though. I was hesitant to take this job on until now as I didn't want to have my shop pluged up with this thing while waiting forever for what ever small parts that may have died over the extended storage.
The solution came to me over the past weekend.
I found a 1989 FL-400 basket case 2 miles from my shop for $500.
Here is my problem: The basket case aint so bad.....
I have never owned or ridden ( driven) an FL as I tend to build and run slightly larger off road rigs.
But this thing is off the hook cool. I feel the need to go crazy .
While the resto won't clog my shop forever, as I now own plenty of parts and will go back to the owner as soon as it is done, The basket will.
As it sits now it has 1 bad upper A arm a stuck Engine and bad plastics. Other than that it is all there and in good shape.( Stored in 1994. After a role over).
I'm thinking of re powering it / a long travel conversion and aluminum bodywork.
What are you'r thoughts on a 4 stroke conversion?
I'd like to make a " woods " trail rig out of it.
FAb and machine work is not an issue for me as I own and operate a full machine shop.
I could use some advice from the experts though......... Thanks in advance .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:08 pm 

Hi and welcome to the site.

It seems like you have a good start. Instead of a 4 stroke, you might consider doing a sled conversion. Check out nitrosport's or Halorising, or ChrisV's swaps. I think they were pretty well documented.

If you are doing a woods machine, what kind of travel are you looking for in the suspension? Check out some of Dave-Co's post as he has done some pretty bad ass work on the suspensions of his machines and others.

Cannot really say much about the plastic's....not sure if aluminum is the answer, but the plastics are getting harder and harder to come by.

Also, you may be able to recoup some of your funds by liquidating the parts you don't need, such as the Engine.

You have come to the right place as this site has the most knowledgeable people and the most helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:25 am 

I'll sure do that..... Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm 

Welcome to the sight. I think that came to the best place for all of the information and help that you could ask for. Make sure that you post some pics. so everybody can see what you have and what you doing. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:40 am 

Ok. Ill post some pics.
Just so this isn't to confusing :
#1 is the basket case
#2 is the one I have been tasked to restore. ( The rusty one )
Both are complete .
I went ahead and reassembled #1 just so I knew what I had.

#1 the day I pulled it into the shop.

As you can se by the head, This thing had very little run time before it was taken out of service. ( I have cleaned nothing at this point.)

The plastics have been tastefully butchered.

#2 Was parked on a beach for a year. It's all there and in good shape , just rusty ( surface ) and DIRTY.........
I hate owners who abuse there equipment .

My sand blaster and powder oven are going to get a work out.
I will keep you posted as things progress.
I will be selling off everything that is not needed for the resto of #2 and of course the build of #1...... Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:16 pm 

Looks like you have good stuff to work with. Pictures are worth more than money sometimes. Keep us posted. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm 

I see some parts I would like!

Great deal on both. Does the one on the left in the last pic have longer a arms?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:07 pm 

where are u located?

for a 4 stroke Engine there's only one to go with and that's a yamaha phazer 80 hp on pump gas :-)

2 stroke
other options are a older rotax like a 670, 583 , 617 ect

or if i were to install a newer one i would go with a E tec 600 or 800 oil and fuel injected amazing engines made by skidoo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:49 pm 

Britt:
No long arms yet. Just the angle of the photo and the cut up plastics.
BS:
I'v looked into the Phazer conversion. Interesting and expensive.
And am just starting to look at converting to a gear jammer.
This solution opens the project up to a ton of EFI engines to choose from. And will be more cost effective.
A good example would be a GSXR 600 at $500 as seen on Craigslist locally.
Mean while I managed to get #2 striped down .
Thankfully the rust is surface only 1 broken bolt in the entire tear down.
I think she'l clean up nicely.
Pics will fallow as soon as I get back to the shop.
My shop is in Astoria OR.
Thanks .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:59 pm 

Don't do a gsxr, trans won't hold up, pilot won't be controllable and by the time you get it all done the pilot won't be fun. 8-10" lengthen on the frame, beefier and gusseted rear end, modify the trans with a jackshaft... On and on.

Put a 670 or 583 rotax in it , and call it a day. Lengthen the front arms 2-4in and angle forward 1-2in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 am 

i saw your thread on mini buggy. ill be doing a gsxr swap in my fl350 too soon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:55 am 

Quote:
Don't do a gsxr, trans won't hold up, pilot won't be controllable and by the time you get it all done the pilot won't be fun. 8-10" lengthen on the frame, beefier and gusseted rear end, modify the trans with a jackshaft... On and on.

Put a 670 or 583 rotax in it , and call it a day. Lengthen the front arms 2-4in and angle forward 1-2in.

Well , if I do my job right the pilot will be controllable .
I think the definition of "fun" is in the mind of the owner.
I'm a builder and a rider ( in this case driver).
But the build is always the driving point in any project that I take on. Time and difficulty just add to the enjoyment in my book.
I'm not a big fan of 2 strokes or CVT transmissions. Just me. I'm not looking to piss anyone off here, so please don't take offence.
The GSXR has a long history as a transplant into many sand cars. I'v done a few myself. The tranny will be fine. The trick is to start with a newly rebuilt one and of course driving style and ability. BUT nothing is sailor proof. So we will have to see.
I plan on a 6" frame stretch / welded cage mods / and lots of suspension alterations.
Right now I'm more focused on the restoration of #2.
Once it is done I will have more time to spend doing the math and design work needed for #1
16 hours in just the tear down at this point. Managed to save just about all of the machine. Now its off to sand blasting and powder.
While that is going on I will be working on re-habing the suspension components.
Thanks for your concern though. Ill keep you posted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 pm 

Welcome to the board, Nice to see somebody else from Oregon :-)
I will have to keep an eye on your builds.
If you find anymore pilot's for $500 that you don't want let me know, I never find great deals like that.

Bob ::-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:45 pm 

boxcar wrote:
Quote:

Well , if I do my job right the pilot will be controllable .
I think the definition of "fun" is in the mind of the owner.
I'm a builder and a rider ( in this case driver).
But the build is always the driving point in any project that I take on. Time and difficulty just add to the enjoyment in my book.
I'm not a big fan of 2 strokes or CVT transmissions. Just me. I'm not looking to piss anyone off here, so please don't take offence.
The GSXR has a long history as a transplant into many sand cars. I'v done a few myself. The tranny will be fine. The trick is to start with a newly rebuilt one and of course driving style and ability. BUT nothing is sailor proof. So we will have to see.
I plan on a 6" frame stretch / welded cage mods / and lots of suspension alterations.
Right now I'm more focused on the restoration of #2.
Once it is done I will have more time to spend doing the math and design work needed for #1
16 hours in just the tear down at this point. Managed to save just about all of the machine. Now its off to sand blasting and powder.
While that is going on I will be working on re-habing the suspension components.
Thanks for your concern though. Ill keep you posted.

I don't think it's the GSXR's trany that you are being warned of but the buggies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 am 

Quote:
I don't think it's the GSXR's trany that you are being warned of but the buggies.

Yea. I get that now that you point it out.

You may be right. I have very little exp with the Pilot trans axle.
I will be opening the unit up in a few weeks to familiarize my self with it.
Who knows I might change the plan.
I have noticed that the trans axle is not mounted very securely in the chassis.
It may be that a stiffer mounting system is all that it will need. We will see.
Thanks for the advice.....

Profile E-mail