Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my old HONDASAKI rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:20 pm 

gettin the old HONDASAKI out of mothballs and rebuilding her,, in an old highly modified Chalenger SS chassis,, full rebuild of motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and going to put A-arm suspension up front from Suki 400 quad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:13 pm 

Interesting, any more details please? Crank OEM with aftermarket rod? What piston does it use?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:36 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Interesting, any more details please? Crank OEM with aftermarket rod? What piston does it use?

stock oddy crank and rod,, the top end from base gasket up is stock kawa KX250 ,, kx piston and pin (same size as honda pin) just lots of welding on the cases to make them wider and move the cylinder studs out,, then match all the transfer port area and such. you will probably notice the bearing oil holes where filled, as i used sealed bearings. for raceing (less turbulance in the bottom end) they worked fine, but now have opened them again and going back to open bearings ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 pm 

oddynutz wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

stock oddy crank and rod,, the top end from base gasket up is stock kawa KX250 ,, kx piston and pin (same size as honda pin) just lots of welding on the cases to make them wider and move the cylinder studs out,, then match all the transfer port area and such. you will probably notice the bearing oil holes where filled, as i used sealed bearings. for raceing (less turbulance in the bottom end) they worked fine, but now have opened them again and going back to open bearings ??

MacDizzy did the sealed bearing thing on his FL250 years ago said the heat finally got to them they were sort lived but if its a race Engine longevity is not something that is sought after as much as performance, he was looking to stuff the bottom end more than the turbulence thing, from what I remember him saying from that experience is the sealed bearings are not something a recreational rider would want to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:30 pm 

This is cool! I am interested in doing this myself. Please keep us posted on the rebuild process and how it runs.
For non racing application I would definitely not use sealed bearings. Try and find the best bearings you can though.
Has anybody ever thought about or used ceramic bearings?

I have a couple fl250's and am doing a cr250m top end on one right now, but had heard about this before too... might have to start looking for parts!
I have heard the honda bottom end doesn't like the extra power/higher R's
Are you going to rebuild the crank? Weld it? Balance it? What else could be done to make the lower end stronger?

FYI KXT250 84-85 is same top end as well.

-Pete

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:20 am 

cncpete wrote:
This is cool! I am interested in doing this myself. Please keep us posted on the rebuild process and how it runs.
For non racing application I would definitely not use sealed bearings. Try and find the best bearings you can though.

I have a couple fl250's and am doing a cr250m top end on one right now, but had heard about this before too... might have to start looking for parts!
Are you going to rebuild the crank? Weld it? Balance it? What else could be done to make the lower end stronger?

-Pete

the bottom end is stock,, works just great we raced them like this with no problems,, with big bore cylinders the stock crank couldnt take the added hp,, this Engine was putting our about 50hp, only thing you need to do is weld the crank-pin to keep the crank from twisting in the fly-wheels..

the later kx top ends will work as long as it does not have the power-valve exhaust .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:25 am 

hoser wrote:
oddynutz wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

MacDizzy did the sealed bearing thing on his FL250 years ago said the heat finally got to them they were sort lived but if its a race Engine longevity is not something that is sought after as much as performance, he was looking to stuff the bottom end more than the turbulence thing, from what I remember him saying from that experience is the sealed bearings are not something a recreational rider would want to do.

the sealed bearings worked fine even for rec riding,, only had problem when the riding the desert when the air temp got over 90 degrees and running hard..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:58 pm 

cncpete wrote:

-Pete

Kart racing guys swear by the ceramic bearings but the big thing with the kart guys is they are looking for every little bit of HP they can get, the ceramic bearings last longer and roll easier but are also very expensive.

Profile E-mail