Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Missing link fL 350
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:48 am 

OK today I took the rear tire off and removed the rear shock to kinda see whats up with this incredible unbelievable rear end and this is what I think about what to do, there is a portion of the rear suspension travel that stays kinda consistent untill the wheel comes all the way down it arks into negative camber moving the arm A LOT. I have always worked to get more travel but in this intance I am recomending removing some rear travel to allow the use of a link. I do not believe anyone would notice the travel was limited anyway but it could allow for that 3rd link with minumal binding. What I plan to do is aDD THAT LINK WHERE IT LIKES TO BE THREW 1/2 TO 3/4 OF THE TRAVEL AND ALLOW IT TO STOP THE REAR WHERE THE LINK DOES AS THE WHEEL GOES DOWN. i SPENT OVER A HOUR GOOFING WITH IT AND WAS AMAZED YOU COULD NOT BRING THE WHEEL UP WHEN THE SHOCK WAS OFF TILL YOU GARABED THE TOP LINK AND GOT THE WHEEL INTO THE POSITION i AM TALKING ABOUT. iN A COUPLE OF WEEKS i WILL MAKE SOME THINGS AND TRY IT AND REPORT TO ALL WHAT i COME UP WITH. iTS DO ABLE JUST NOT IN THE LAST PART OF THE WHEEL COMING DOWN. tHAT WILL NOT HAPPEN, AT LEAST NOT ON MINE IT WONT. wHAT i WANT TO DO IS KEEP THE WHEEL PRETTY MUCH STRAIGHT. NOT SWUNG OUT WHEN A DRIVER IS IN IT WHICH MINE DID A LOT TILL i BROUGHT THE TOP LINKS IN A LOT. sTAY TUNED..I didnt relize I hit the cap button, not going to re type it all sorry

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Missing link fL 350
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:08 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:
OK today I took the rear tire off and removed the rear shock to kinda see whats up with this incredible unbelievable rear end and this is what I think about what to do, there is a portion of the rear suspension travel that stays kinda consistent untill the wheel comes all the way down it arks into negative camber moving the arm A LOT. I have always worked to get more travel but in this intance I am recomending removing some rear travel to allow the use of a link. I do not believe anyone would notice the travel was limited anyway but it could allow for that 3rd link with minumal binding. What I plan to do is aDD THAT LINK WHERE IT LIKES TO BE THREW 1/2 TO 3/4 OF THE TRAVEL AND ALLOW IT TO STOP THE REAR WHERE THE LINK DOES AS THE WHEEL GOES DOWN. i SPENT OVER A HOUR GOOFING WITH IT AND WAS AMAZED YOU COULD NOT BRING THE WHEEL UP WHEN THE SHOCK WAS OFF TILL YOU GARABED THE TOP LINK AND GOT THE WHEEL INTO THE POSITION i AM TALKING ABOUT. iN A COUPLE OF WEEKS i WILL MAKE SOME THINGS AND TRY IT AND REPORT TO ALL WHAT i COME UP WITH. iTS DO ABLE JUST NOT IN THE LAST PART OF THE WHEEL COMING DOWN. tHAT WILL NOT HAPPEN, AT LEAST NOT ON MINE IT WONT. wHAT i WANT TO DO IS KEEP THE WHEEL PRETTY MUCH STRAIGHT. NOT SWUNG OUT WHEN A DRIVER IS IN IT WHICH MINE DID A LOT TILL i BROUGHT THE TOP LINKS IN A LOT. sTAY TUNED..I didnt relize I hit the cap button, not going to re type it all sorry

With the skills you have, we will not make this "cap button thing" an issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:41 am 

I wish someone could logically explain the rear suspension design on the FL350 years ago I removed the rear shock on one and cycled the suspension up and down and watched how it worked it made no sense and gave me a headache thinking about what all was going on and why, someone had to have a reason for the design at the time it was designed and sold trailing arm suspensions had already been done to death successfully only thing I could think of is that design was a test for future suspensions on something else like a automobile in Honda? I honestly think any 1st year suspension engineer could start with a FL350 minus the rear suspension arms and devise a better suspension, I doubt it would be a bolt on "kit" because all or most the mounting points would need changed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:59 am 

One of the things that I find weird on the FL350 suspension is that when you are sliding the rear end around, it loads the suspension on the outer wheel. When doing this it causes the rear camber to go positive which in turn can pull the bead off the wheel.

Who's brilliant idea was that? I think they were all sitting in a circle smoking dope and a first year engineer fresh out of college says ...... Dude I have a great idea....... Wait what were we talking about? Oh yeah I have this great idea!

The second oddity is the use of the drive shafts as suspension links.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:39 pm 

Some one was probably hired to design a suspension NO ONE in the industries would copy, and got a bonus to do it?? I can not explane it, but I am goint to explore some things, the Ujoint axle would not be bad if it were not used as a link for the suspension. That is beyond me. The axle would last a long time if it only had to drive the car. If only I could find a way to ti make the center of the axle move in and out like spicer axles do them the 3rd link would be no problem at all but with the axle itself moving the wheel in and out its a hard thing to conquer

Profile E-mail