Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odyssey 250 freshen up
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 am 

Hi all,

Here is a few pics I just thought i'd share with the forum of my Odyssey 250 refurbishment. I picked this machine up about 4 to 5 months ago, it had been sitting in a paddock for a year or so.

When I first come upon it, it had very stiff front wheel bearings, flat front tires and the rear brake calliper was locked on. Needless to say, it took a lot of effort to push (i.e. skid) it onto my trailer. Oh, yeah the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) had seized too!

Attachments:
Odyssey 250 (2).jpg
Odyssey 250 (2).jpg [ 49.67 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
Odyssey 250 (3).jpg
Odyssey 250 (3).jpg [ 54.03 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
Odyssey 250 (4).jpg
Odyssey 250 (4).jpg [ 56.1 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
Odyssey 250 (5).jpg
Odyssey 250 (5).jpg [ 76.22 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 am 

It has come a fair way since then.

I dismantled it, removed a couple of funky pieces of box steel someone had welded to the front. Then, sent the chassis and roll cage off to be sandblasted and powder coated!

Oh, and please pardon the mess!

Attachments:
Odyssey 250 Frame.png
Odyssey 250 Frame.png [ 395.73 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]
FL250 after powdercoat (1).png
FL250 after powdercoat (1).png [ 419.02 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:20 pm 

Looks good so far. Keep us updated.
Are you going to do anything with the rear (suspension) ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:15 am 

Thanks for the kind words sir. Will do.

Rear suspension? Well although it does have an extra pair of bars for a roll cage and two aftermarket headlights, I sort of didn't want to mess with the original structure of the machine.

However, I do have a couple of FL350's the fill the rear suspension trouble so all is good :-)

Oh, also does anyone have a wiring manual for the FL250 Goki electric starter kit?.. I have got mine setup and it seems to work but there is an extra wire and I just wanted to check my work if possible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:30 pm 

terminal velocity wrote:

Rear suspension? Well although it does have an extra pair of bars for a roll cage and two aftermarket headlights, I sort of didn't want to mess with the original structure of the machine.

However, I do have a couple of FL350's the fill the rear suspension trouble so all is good :-)

Oh, also does anyone have a wiring manual for the FL250 Goki electric starter kit?.. I have got mine setup and it seems to work but there is an extra wire and I just wanted to check my work if possible.

Do you have a manual ??
We used to have access to a site called atlanticpaints.com but it appears the domain name expired when I tried it. That site used to have free manuals for the oddys.
If you want a fl250 manual I can email you one. It is over 12mb and this site won't let me put it on here for you as the file is too big.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:32 pm 

terminal velocity wrote:

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/goki.htm

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/Front%20Page/e-start.pdf

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:22 am 

Canadian Oddy, yes I do have the FL250 shop manual. Thanks for the offer though.

Hoser, that is exactly what I was after, thanks!

Also, is there anyone on the forum that does reproduction oem style decals for these machines?

I'll have to get some more progress pics up soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:27 am 

Hi Term Vel

This guy has a good list of bits

there are different coloured stickers for there years
check his site for guards as well

http://www.atcheaven.com/FL250.php?page ... _FL250=138

This guy is about 40km north of me and have brought stuff off him for my 350
He is in Oz around Newcastle NSW

hope this helps

Need to see pics of your FL350

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:06 am 

Hi Wyeeoddy,

Thanks for the link there.

Oh yes, I see the decals change given the year of manufacture. I can't find any for the 1977 model though, even on US ebay. Might have to go with a different year model?

I managed to get a big box of FL250 parts from a guy in Tasmania. They were advertised on a classified website and this has really helped piece together a few things that were missing however I will still need new fenders and decals etc.

Oh you have a 350? Nice. Do you have any pics? I'll have to get some pics of mine up soon.

To be honest, it had been on the back burner last few weeks as I have been flat out with other commitments. I did however get the Goki starter up and running, so that's a good start. Next I thing will be to get the carby stripped down and cleaned in preparation for a first start of the Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:05 pm 

Ok, got some more pics of the FL250.

A quick before and after of the plastic foot tub. Took a long time getting rid of that nasty rattle can spray job the previous owner had done but it looks fairly good now, not perfect but it is a lot better.

Got the axle sandblasted and zinc coated too.

The front end back together and what I think maybe the last original tire on the machine. An Ohtsu, but it is dry rotted so will need to be switched out.

The seat recovered and back from the dead. At the top of this thread these is a pic of what it looked like when I got the machine. Sad to say the seat pan was so badly rusted that it was unusable so my father made a new pan for it. He is an ex-machinist/fitter&turner so can be quite a help with quite a few things.

Attachments:
Photo0836.jpg
Photo0836.jpg [ 69.66 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
Photo0918.jpg
Photo0918.jpg [ 62.61 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
FL250 Axle.png
FL250 Axle.png [ 305.65 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
DSCN1802.JPG
DSCN1802.JPG [ 53.44 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
DSCN1751.JPG
DSCN1751.JPG [ 39.5 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:24 pm 

Just realized some of the pics aren't in chronological order but these recent batch are the latest.

The more I look the more I see I still have much to do. Sandblast and paint the rear belt cover that came from Tasmania. Try the clean up or maybe replace the old looking Goki electric start cables. Decals and fenders. Clean up rims and tires. Get a harness in there etc. etc. etc.

Question though, I did clean up the reduction case and Engine cases before re-assembly but I wasn't really sure how to clean up the cylinder and cylinder head? I didn't just want to use a nasty spray can so it is currently the most dirty looking part on the machine (save for the old battery that is).

How do you all clean up your cylinders and cylinder heads? I wouldn't imagine sandblasting would work as it may damage the cylinder bore. Possible glass bead maybe?

Attachments:
DSCN1765.JPG
DSCN1765.JPG [ 51.99 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
DSCN1768.JPG
DSCN1768.JPG [ 81.34 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]
 Profile E-mail