Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm 

Probably been done before, but here is my take for those who want LED lighting but like the stock look of the FL400 headlights. Nothing is modified to any Pilot parts so it's 100% reversable which is nice in case you want to restore your ride 10 years down the road. Gives a modern appearance and better lighting which is a bonus. I never got the wattage, but there are 30 LEDs inside and probable a least 1 watt per LED. They also have a low/hi beam so work as the stock lights do, the low beam gives a halo effect, hi beam is all 30 turned on.

Stock Pilot headlight disassembled and the donor...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 60.74 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 81.05 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:17 pm 

The glass lense is separate from the LED housing so I siliconed the two together to seal the two and make handling the pieces easier. Left over night to cure before assembly. I re used the gasket from the donor light as well, everything else is not needed.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 95.19 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 85.38 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 65.59 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:28 pm 

I wrapped electrical tape around the edge of the board for protection, it doesn't contact the metal housing but adds a little safety. I also applied weatherstripping inside the front edge of the Pilot grill to give the lense something to seat against, and it helps seal the unit as well. Replace the one screw at the base and the last pic's give you this...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 72.81 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 69.72 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 95.96 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 87.59 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 65.25 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:41 pm 

Now just install the rear cover like normal, install correct ends to plug into the stock wire harness, install as a stock light on fenders, and enjoy some modern lighting !! Pic's show both stock and led's for comparison, low beam is the halo effect, kinda a lousy pic but you get the idea. I was not able to incorporate the stock headlight adjuster but it can be adjusted at the base, pretty much the only compromise.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 87.18 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 61.92 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 81.41 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 50.2 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 51 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:30 pm 

Nice job, looks good.

I spy a very clean phazer 500?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:00 pm 

Yes, that's a Phazer 500, the rest of the sled is here too but that's the Engine from it. Was thinking of putting it in my 350, but ended up with a LT500 Pilot, a possible future mod when my CR500 goes no more. I am on the fence right now as I am doing other things to the pilot, so I am staying focused on those projects(but gathering parts for the swap just in case...lol). My project time keeps increasing compared to other toys on this Pilot, I seem to catch myself just starring at it, and no work gets done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 pm 

Too much Engine for a 350 or a stock pilot if you ask me.

Good luck, please keep us posted what ever you decide to do with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 pm 

I agree it's too much for my 350, but my Pilot is far from stock so it would work nicely I think. Guys have put Yamaha Nytro motors in Pilots, 130hp there. 80HP from a Phazer Engine should be just right with good torque as well. I had the 500 Phazer before I found my Pilot, common sense prevailed by not putting it in my 350 with stock suspension. It's a great conversation to have and the truth is I am a four stroke guy, waited a decade for them to be readily available for projects like this. If it doesn't end up in my Pilot, I have another 350 frame that I would build up with custom suspension. I love these machines, my 350 I have had for over 20 years and now owning a Pilot(finally!!) brings things to a whole new level for me. I will definitely keep all of you posted.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 86.92 KiB | Viewed 1293 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:45 pm 

Nice pilot! (and 67!)

Nytro in such a small buggy would be even worse! Too tail heavy and so much power you wouldn't be able to drive it fast. :shock:

Where you livin Blazer?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:31 pm 

Canada... Eh? Lol. The Phazer Engine is surprisingly light and relatively small for what it does. I ordered a 12k tach as it spins 11.2K. Building a dash for it right now as well. It came with a beard super seat which I did not like at all, and thank fully, the stock seat mounts were not modified on the frame. I used the(never seen them before) beard mounting brackets to mount my new seat. I have a lot of details to finish to make it mine, and having a blast with it. Camaro is a '67 rs/ss, haven't driven it since 1999... Long story. My garage is not big enough, but the Pilot dominates my free space and I like it that way. Starting with this machine vs. the stock one I almost bought was a good choice for me, but all those extra's carry extra weight, so thinking more power would work here. I would love to list every part that has too add weight on it, and the CR500 top end already on it may just bring it back to a stock performance level. Not sure as I do not have a stock one too compare, but power to weight cannot be overlooked, and this weighs more than a stock one for sure. Previous owner made every attempt to remove what wasn't needed weight wise, but I think a park brake is going back on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:39 am 

No way EH!

I know the phazer is light, I meant the larger versions.

OH, are you the guy that got jerked all over the US trying to buy a pilot? I read that story.

BTW, sorry for totally derailing your thread! :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:52 am 

No problem, yep that's me. But I wouldn't say I got jerked around by everybody. Met way more great people down there than the two bad ones. It was an adventure of a lifetime and I am very pleased with my purchase. It was hard walking away from one machine in one state to gamble on the next one in the next state, my Arizona friend...lol... But that like brand new crap in my head and I just ended up looking for one after that. Mine is not like "brand new", not even close to stock, has it's issues, and definitely has attitude which I like. I can leave the "purist" mentality behind on this one as not much is oem Honda anymore, but yet putting a Yamaha Engine in it still irks me... Funny.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:35 pm 

Well, congrats again on the new ride, looks sweet.

Good luck with the new LEDs.(that's what started this right?)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:39 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Well, congrats again on the new ride, looks sweet.

Good luck with the new LEDs.(that's what started this right?)

Thanks, we're still on the same page...(LED= Lengthy Educational Discussion)... Lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:04 pm 

Great job with the LED conversion, the LED lights I got don't have a low beam? kind of nice for driving through camp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:00 pm 

Kuma wrote:
Great job with the LED conversion, the LED lights I got don't have a low beam? kind of nice for driving through camp.

Thanks, most LED lights I found are not Hi/Low beam units. Buy using ones made for a motorcycle instead of for off-road purposes, I got both Hi/Low. A motorcycle would only have one light, so two on a pilot is even better. It's nice they fit too without a lot of trouble, only the wait from China, 3 1/2 weeks sucked. They cost about 22 bucks each so very reasonable in price as well. The units would mount to a pilot fender on their own without doing what I did by putting their guts in a pilot housing, just use the Pilot base, some washers, and forget about their Chrome bracket. Will make sense if you try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361176015596?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:24 pm 

Only thing about that light that I would be concerned with is how the lens disperses the beam. if it's a flat beam like for the road it's not too good for the dunes where you are constantly going up and down, approaching a dune you want to be able to flood the dune to see how far up it goes and when coming to the edge, it's nice to see if it drops 10 feet or 100 feet.

The lights I have have cheap plastic lenses, I put masking tape on them to protect them from getting sand blasted when not in use.

Profile E-mail