Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot Dash Panel
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:23 pm 

I decided I wanted gauges for my Pilot so I kinda went out of the box thinking wise, and sourced a gauge panel from.... A Boat!! Already had my gauge size cutouts, rocker switch cutouts, made of aluminum so easy to work with, and cost 25 bucks. A real time saver... I have no need for a bilge pump switch(I hope) or other labelling on the panel and usually I just paint things, but I never tried "wrapping" things before so I went with some 5D gloss carbon fibre wrap. I made my own mounting brackets and a filler panel for the top of the dash to meet up with my hood. Gauges are already on order from Speedhut, so I get to wait for my custom order now. I love working with metal, and this "boat" dash kinda denied me the pleasure of making my own, but it turned out great, almost like jewelry.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 51.78 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 49.37 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 55.24 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.41 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 55.04 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilot Dash Panel
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:56 pm 

Nice work!....

Really cool to see new ideas, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:34 am 

I mounted up the dash this morning so you can see it installed. It does not hang lower than any of my cross tubes up front and the curved relief area at the bottom/middle of the panel itself gives nice clearance to my braided brake lines. Just need gauges and switches and it should come out like I pictured it before I began. I added a piece of 1/8 foam between the top of the dash and hood as well.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.71 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 71.58 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 83.52 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 65.35 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:57 am 

Nice work. great idea finding the boat dash.

Please consider your legs protection during a violent roll or flip, even the blunt edge of a 1" round tube can be very painful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:18 am 

Good advice, there is a lot of metal up front on my machine as well as the battery. Might be easier to wear hockey pads than soften everything up front... Lol. I have plans to wrap the bars, on my list of mod's to do. The boat thing really worked nicely, and there are a lot of different sizes and shapes to choose from, some are plastic, some cast, some stamped aluminum, some are even real carbon fibre. 25 bucks was good enough for me, and it takes 3 3/8 and 2 1/16 gauges.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:27 am 

Here is another example of a boat dash, plan B in this case. It's aluminum, holds 3 3/8 and 2 1/16 gauges. Don't be afraid to picture things upside down and modify things a bit, just purchase/work within your dimensions. 1st pic is as bought, 2nd pic, cut of the green part and flip it over, that's how I see things. I will use that one on another project, these boat dashes even have street/rat rod potential !!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 38.09 KiB | Viewed 1373 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 34.56 KiB | Viewed 1373 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:26 pm 

Great idea,and shows that we buggy fanatics always see "Buggy Parts" in almost everything not designed thus! :-)

BUT where were you when I was Marinising my LT500Pilot for too wet Northam Races deluge?
I coulda used your dash,very appropriate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:50 pm 

That's just awesome.... And here I was joking about not needing a bilge pump, if I only knew... Lol. An absolute unique photo. Congrats. I saw a FL350 here that was powered by an outboard motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), thought it was a joke when he rolled it off the trailer. He then started it and I remember the smirk on my face.... When he took off it was absolutely insane!! Nothing but a cloud of dust, then gone. Waited around but never did get to see it again... I regret that to this day because it looked just like your photo, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) hangin off the back...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:42 pm 

Do you remember what year that was?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:13 am 

2015 minus my brand new Kfx700's in 2003 so 12 years ago. Why? You used to be in Canada? Lol. It was real... I swear!! Only got close when it screamed by me, watched in unload from maybe 75 feet away. Always been curious how he did it....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:18 am 

I believe ya...we ALL do!...Really!!!! :-)

Just trying to get some TAG search words for us to Youtube search.
Anymore words? Would be interesting to actually see what he's done.
There are some good slueths here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:33 am 

You can search.... Loud, Evinrude I believe, crude, ridiculous looking, fast as HEdouble hockey sticks... It was the fastest most insane thing I ever saw, glad I didn't bring my 350 Oddy out that day. It didn't have that going on YouTube feeling(did we even have that 12 years ago?) I am over 40 so not so sure anymore... Lol. Just some crazy Canuck with a welder is how it felt, and I never saw or heard about it again. He probably crashed it... I guess I have to answer for my boat knowledge now...lol. It wasn't black max size, was a two stroke(unmistakable) I would guess 60ish HP by the size of the head on it. It has the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) cover on it and it looked grey or silver? Was a long time ago and haven't thought about it until I saw your pics... Then Bang!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:46 am 

I am a metric 56 old,yeah I don't think Youtube was born yet?
But maybe he's converted some ol style footage and Youtube'd it?
Sure he has...and I'm winning LOOTO tomorrow! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:48 am 

Oh, and it blew the tires off(not literally) instantly, I will never forget the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) just screamed instantly, stayed at the same pitch, had the appearance of being completely out of control, and he never lifted until I couldn't hear it anymore. I remember uttering "wow", it seemed to be direct drive, geared for 100mph, and the tires never stopped spinning...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:52 am 

Was a humbling moment for sure... Not many people do that kinda thing here. In the land of OZ maybe(actually for sure!!) never know I guess if it survived and became famous. I doubt it though, probably sold the outboard motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) a week later to a buddy for a case of beer...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:55 am 

This smacks of a certain motormaulin' CrazyCanucky we all know. :shock:
Maybe he knows...or STILL even has that outboardmotor??? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:03 am 

Was in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada at what we call the "Floodway". Not a clue who it was, I was laying in a field as a kid enjoying a "free" airshow when a f-18 went vertical with full afterburners on right above me after clearing the airfield. The boom scared the... Out of me and this guy had the same wow factor(but he didn't scare me) lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:26 pm 

I did a test fit of the gauges and installed my switches tonight. No clearance issues to report and it looks pretty cool. I have my steering yoke off because I had some play in the splines on the top of the shaft. Serviced my entire steering column today too, very happy I was able to get a new yoke from Honda. Yes that is a horn switch... Lol... Air Horn!! I have come across cows on my trails before and they can be stubborn, usually rev the crap out of my Engine to chase em off, now I'll use the horn. Everything has it's purpose :-)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 42.09 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 72.08 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 64.18 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 65.24 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 69.77 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]
 Profile E-mail