Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BL1TZ's Odyssey
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:23 am 

Hello, New to the forum and to the Honda Odyssey scene, picked one up recently off of craigslist to work on as a hobby in my down time.
Here are some pics of it from the Ad
We picked it up with a boat trailer that we were suppose to trade for a flat bed to someone in the area but plans changed and we had to get the ody first.
unfortunately we lost the bearing and castle nut and almost the wheel of the trailer on our way to trade it for a flatbed trailer.

Odyssey at its new home
Since i've gotten it ive spen most of my time going through it bolt by bolt nut by nut checking to see what he used to put it together... unfortunately its been thrown together with random bolts and nuts so ive been finding the right ones and changing em out.
most of the nuts and bolts seem to of been just hand tightened or barely on.... Some things that i am missing are a fender(i have the other 3 in usable shape), choke knob and cable, Parking Brake Cable, Engine run stop switch(one in it now is missing the red switch part), misc bolts and nuts, muffler mount, muffler spring, drive belt, and maybe some other stuff im not thinking of. I was missing the 10x68 flange bolts that go in the rear brake but i found some at the acura dealer parts department for cheap. was also missing a 10 mm castle nut from the front hub but i was able to order that through a dealer as well along with a bleeder valve and cap, gas tank drain bolt and washer and the Engine drain bolt and washer.

as of right now i've ran the Engine on gravity feed to make sure it runs as i cant get the stock fuel system to work. idk if its something wrong with the fuel pump but its been rebuilt. I thought it might be something wrong with the gas tank so i took a hose from the pump and put it in a gas can full of gas and it still didn't pump anything through the lines. so i ordered a new authentic Mikuni pump to replace the stock one. i am however concerned about the gas tank. i decided to see if i can suck gas out of it and into the filter manually (siphon it with my mouth... can still taste the mixed gas delicious). when on Res i get nothing no air and no gas so i think its clogged. when its on the main tank i get some gas and air so i think i might have holes in main line.

also i was lucky that it came with the original honda paperback service manual.

so yeh that's what i've got so far hopefully one day i'll have her up and running through the hills.
Also anyone on here from Riverside Ca. that's where i'm out of.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BL1TZ's Odyssey
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:47 am 

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.....

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:36 pm 

I am new here too so we can welcome each other... Welcome. Looks like a fun project, I remember when I got my 350, speaking of bolts, mine was held together with mechanic's wire and baling twine... Lol. It will take some time to make it right but your on the right track, I always liked custom coloured oddy's and your blue looks good too. Good luck with the project and take some time every now and then to just stand back and admire your hard work, it will keep you motivated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:42 pm 

Hi welcome to PilotOdyssey.com looks like a great starter project, no shortage of FL350 experience to help guide you every step of the way.

Cant wait to see your FL350 running again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:58 pm 

Thank you been lurking around here reading posts for a bit now thought I would join in on the fun. So after 20 mins with a multimeter I figured out why my push start switch wasn't working, the ground wire that goes to the starter solenoid was ungrounded? I traced it back to a wire and something screwed in to the back of the tranny not sure what it is or what it does but it looks to be poorly soldered on to it if I take that ground wire and ground it out on the frame then push start works.

Was this suppose to be soldered on or did there use to be clips or something I snapped the one wire off twisting it out

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:58 pm 

What you have there is the neutral start switch. The wires should be soldered to the switch itself without any kind of connector. This switch was in place as a safety feature by Honda so that the Ody can't be started unless the Ody is in neutral.

Now you can attempt to fix the switch or you can put the switch back into the transmission and do away with its electrical connection altogether.

You can bypass the switch by cutting the remaining wire still attached to the switch itself, crimping the two wires which led to the switch together using an eyelet and then attach the wires to either the negative side of the battery or a spot on the frame. This will ground the system again and allow the starter switch to work. If you are going to do this, I suggest the negative side of the battery.

WARNING!!!!! Performing this modification will allow the Ody to start in FORWARD NEUTRAL or REVERSE!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:46 pm 

Thanks for the reply rand I think I will try to repair it for safety reasons wouldn't want someone climbing into the ody who doesn't know and starting it In gear. We must protect the general population from themselves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:18 am 

Is there a way to test the neutral start switch? Make sure it works

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:21 am 

bl1tzkr13g

Nice to see another 350 brought back to life

The switch in your and looks to be missing the plunger part and the
end of the switch.

see pic

yeooddy

Attachments:
IMAG1628.jpg
IMAG1628.jpg [ 67.55 KiB | Viewed 3096 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:25 am 

That's not good what are the chances it's inside the reduction case? It looks like it snapped off :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:37 am 

bl1tzkr13g

I am glade you said that. That's the first thing I thought of

You could be lucky. drop the drain plug on the tranny.

Drain in to clear container through a good clean white shop rag over the top and look @ the oil if it looks like

See pic

time to pull the tranny and strip and clean

The missing piece might not even be in it

It is one of those dam if your do and dam if you don't problems

Contact the guy you got it from and ask the ? did you see where it went

Attachments:
IMAG1839.jpg
IMAG1839.jpg [ 76.51 KiB | Viewed 3093 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:46 am 

*Sigh* just after I got the fuel pump and fuel system going. If it's not one thing it's another lol. Will drain it tomorrow see what I come across in the oil. Thanks wyeeoddy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:54 am 

I am under the assumption you have a Service Manual

In your situation I would start @ one end and go to there other

or start @ page 1 of the Service Manual and go through all the setting / adjustments

Also you should drain and re fill the balancer in Engine. As it users the same oil @ the
tranny.

Now I have been caught out by filling to the mark on the balancer dip stick

As per service bulletin

see attached

Attachments:
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg [ 38.96 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:25 am 

That tranny safety nuetral switch reminds me of when I realised mine had been disabled! :shock:

Here's a copy,and good for a laugh...BUT coulda been potentially even more funny! :-)

Copy:
Here is my warning when you disable the switch,and potentially nearly disable yourself! :-)
ALWAYS apply the E Brake.If not,you could be screaming the EEEEeeeeee!
This is a true event in the confessions of Baz.Sometimes the luckiest,most times the unluckiest bastard on Earth.
Copy from a while back.......no laughing!!!! Was very UNFUNNY at the time.

Just want to warn others of what CAN happen when you disable the switch,and allow starting in gear.

A few years ago camping with 2 other Mates and families in our favourite Lancelin Dunes secret men's spot Downunder,I was working on my 350 Ody's carb.
After I was done,I assembled it back together and screwed on the carb top etc. Now standing on the outside of Ody,on the RHS,I pushed the starter button and,WTF?
The ody fired up instantly to well over clutch engagement RPMs,and took off to my horror.
Instinctively I just grabbed for the rear bar before it got away,set the death grip on both hands on the rear bar and just hung on for dear life.
Could'nt keep up and dropped to knees,ploughing in thru the sand...kinda like knee skiing!
Luckily the Ody went into full turn/lock mode,and me and Ody just started ploughing at decent speed large circles right near our camp,tents cars etc.
I was panicing that that if I was to let go,then the Ody would accelerate to max revs and possibly take out the camp? Cars? but worse still Mates and kids.
Also worried if there were any rocks below the sand that would take out my knees,and people would call me Stumpy.
After at least 2/3 laps I managed to start yelling "Help,help,as no one was outside or in view yet.It's really hard for a grown man to yell for help,it's not something we practice,and despite trying as hard as ya can to do it in a manly deep voice...still comes out a bit like a woman's?The only one that came out was the missusImage not my first prefered choice.She waited till i came round again and tried to sync in with the escaping orbiting Ody to turn off the switch or key, but instead only managed to grab the steering yoke and yank it back to straight due to the Ody fighting back by trying to shake her off by running over her foot with large Ohtsu tyre.
Now I'm still hangin' on BUT NOW seeing the RHS of my beloved Nissan dual Cab 4x4 appearing larger and larger thru the Ody's roll bars to the front.
Now if I thought things were bad before,now they created the nightmare of my 2 loved toys smashing into each other.
The missus reckons she heard me shout out loud "NOT MY FAR KIN CAR!" just before the inevitable Ka POW!
Now the Ody is still angry it could'nt get away,Engine still alive and reving,rear wheels still driving and roosting sand back over me,until it dug itself so deep down and stalled the Engine!
Now it was oh so quiet,and my brain was still trying to make out DID this all just happen,or maybe bad dream?
Charlie Chaplin,Keystone Cops woulda laughed their arses off.Unfortunately nothing was caught on camera,woulda been great on Funniest home vids.

By the way,don't tell Nukem about this,he will be so jealous and prob try it himself!

You see,when I tried to line up the carbs air piston/slide's groove with the plastic thingy,it obviously did'nt,and was set in posi about 3/4 throttle? Damn,missed it by THAT much!Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:54 am 

Bugeye59
Rofl sounds like something I'd like to avoid haha.

Wyeeoddy
Yeh I have the original service manual that I've gone through it's been great at times and vague at others that leave u scratching your head. Sometimes I wish the pictures were clearer, more specific and in color.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 am 

Baz

Sorry to say that would of been funny to watch

Hope that there was not to much damage to the Oddy and the Nissan
oh and your pride.

I to learnt the hard way. In the back yard at home. I to Fired my oddy
up and it was idling away. I went in the shed came back out and gave the
throttle a blip and Sh!t it took off up the drive about 20 metres. Luckily it
dropped to idle and a slight incline it stopped 1 metre from the back of the
top drive through garage. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:06 pm 

So I drained the tranny and the oil look like crap multiple colors different consistencies. There were little metal flakes in it as well as silver paint? Maybe from who ever painted the Engine and tranny silver?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:28 pm 

The silver paint in the oil is not paint..... its metal and or aluminum from transmission wear.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:02 pm 

(-_-)/ I have a few questions, so its "normal"? lol. should I flush it out with a few bottles of oil. pull it out and take it apart? whats the 2nd option entail? if i do pull the case apart then what, spray it out with some cleaner? wish youtube had fl350 how to vids.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:07 pm 

Pour the dirty oil through a filter and see how big the specs of aluminum are. Post some pictures. If they are no bigger than what I see in the pictures, flush it, refill it and run it.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:11 pm 

Yes they are metal,either aluminium or steel.
To tell which one,drag a magnet under your container.
If it balls and moves it's steel-bearings,shaft,gears,if not then alu from case bearing spinning.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:05 am 

The Oil looks pretty good

As per Randman and Bugeye59 suggest.

But the ? is where is the Tip of the switch is it a sticky one

I ran my tranny with a broken AB gear for 300kms As I found the silver flakes
as I was prepping for the next ride, lucky I start a Month or so before a ride.

There was a noise in the back end @ high speed But I thought is was the shot
bearing I found, but me was wrong.

Attachments:
File comment: Broken Tooth off the AB gear
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 33.39 KiB | Viewed 3017 times ]
File comment: Where the tooth was setting when I pulled the Tranny case off
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 94.4 KiB | Viewed 3017 times ]
File comment: AB gear less a tooth
IMAG1864.jpg
IMAG1864.jpg [ 55.79 KiB | Viewed 3017 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:32 am 

i filtered the old oil through a pair of pantie hose, they make a great filter lol... then i did a flush of the tranny and filtered that as it came out. i didn't find any metal flakes on the "filter". I also didn't find the piece of the neutral safety switch if it is indeed in there im not sure. anyone know what that lil piece is made of is it magnetic? is there enough clearance on the inside of the tranny for a drain plug with a magnetic tip?

Other then the tranny stuff I found a drive belt for the ody through autozone. I saw people selling the Dayco HP3004 snowmobile belt as being usable with the ody, after searching around i found out u can order it in store and shipped to autozone for $35 out the door in 2 days. I can pick it up today! also comes with a 1 year warranty idk if its just like the autozone warranty where u can bring it back when its worn out and get a new one free like you can autozone brake pads but i'll ask.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:20 am 

Sounds like the internals might be all good

I am not sure what the tip of the switch Steel or ?

There is about 2mm at it shallowest between the final drive gear
and the tranny case.

But then again I had the bit of AB gear floating around for a while.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:21 am 

what is the conduit length of the stock choke cable for the FL350? I found one with a 96" conduit length. Is that going to be long enough?

thanks
Blitz

Profile E-mail