Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot Disk Brakes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:52 pm 

Here is my take on a Disk Brake Conversion that I did on my Pilot. This may have been done by someone else but I figured this out on my own so I give myself full credit...lol. I am aware opinions can be strong on this subject, but I am a disk brake kinda guy, no offence intended to anyone. My machine, my choice. I have no idea if this would work on a stock pilot, mine has an Atvr long travel front end and already had braided lines. I did not adjust my arms and have 3 degree negative camber right of the hop. They weren't just giving the parts away, so I estimate my cost about $425ish. I will explain why I went this route, I insisted on keeping a 4x110 stock Pilot front bolt pattern due to my investment in wheels(Omf's and Hiper's). Not big on going to 4x144's and having to buy new wheels. I am aware I could have bought a kit, cut my spindles etc, but this is reversable and this was just a challenge of the mind for me to test Honda parts interchangeability. My Pilot is a 1989 for the record, and Honda had the parts in '89 for disk brakes that I ended up using. Let's call this a period correct conversion which is kinda cool. Everything clears a 4+1 Hiper wheel as well. I can directly swap the 250X hubs with the 250R's if I want a 4x144 bolt pattern in the future, tested! I tried '05 450R spindles at first with 250X hubs and can say due to rotor offset it will not work with the aluminum spindles, works great with the steel spindles on the 250R though. I also reduced my ball joint centre to wheel flange distance 3/4" compared to drums which helps overall width in the front. I have not driven it yet so I can only testify that it all bolts on at this point. Here is exactly what I used:

1988-1989 TRX250R spindles
1987-1989 TRX250X hubs
TRX250R twin piston front calipers(any year)
Tapered wheel bearing kit with seals for TRX250X hubs
Aftermarket rotors wave style, stock 250R and 250X would work
Houser chromoly 12mm tie rods 13.75" length(Atvr's were too long) I have bump steer kit.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 52.36 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 52.96 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 70.75 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 62.74 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 59.35 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilot Disk Brakes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:29 pm 

It would not be a big problem to keep your wheels if you made something like this for the other spindles.

Attachments:
wheel adapter.png
wheel adapter.png [ 154.9 KiB | Viewed 980 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
It would not be a big problem to keep your wheels if you made something like this for the other spindles.

Not sure I understand, the TRX250X hubs I used are 4x110mm(same as 350 Oddy and Pilot) and work with my wheels without an adapter. I can swap hubs to the 250r ones for 4x144, maybe I should clarify that 250x and 250r hubs in those years listed are identical dimensionally, except the bolt patterns. Same rotors, same bearings, both fit 250r spindles, just use 250x hubs for 4x110 or 250r for 4x144.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:24 pm 

Looks nice. I like the backing plate.

BUT

Any reason for using nyloc nuts instead of crown nuts with a split pin to hold the
Knuckles to the A Arms.

yeoddy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:39 pm 

wyeeoddy wrote:
Looks nice. I like the backing plate.

BUT

Any reason for using nyloc nuts instead of crown nuts with a split pin to hold the
Knuckles to the A Arms.

yeoddy

The nylock nuts came on my machine, I put new ones on when I changed the spindles. The VW? Sourced ball joints Atvr used are not drilled for a cotter pin, at least not on my machine, ergo no castle nuts. Maybe someone else can clarify if theirs is the same from Atvr or whether this is or is not an issue. I can say only with great difficulty did I get these nuts off, once the tapered stud was broke free from the spindle the ball joint just spun on me, had to go under the boot to hold the stud from turning to get the nuts off. Backing plates? What you are seeing is the actual hub(TRX250X) painted white. Maybe clarify for me, I am having a bad day!!...lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:24 am 

Yes the hub looks good painted up white.

Profile E-mail