Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:31 am 

I briefly mentioned these in another post, and due to interest I decided to do a how to. They cost $27(each), come in white or black, are used on PWC's, are paintable, and are really close to a stock Pilot mirror in size. A great affordable option if your mirrors are missing, or you would rather not break your originals. They do not directly bolt on, but require only a small mod to work, just drill and tap to add a 8mm x 1.25 stud. Here is where I bought them:

BLACK- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cipa-11120-PWC- ... 09&vxp=mtr

WHITE- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cipa-11121-PWC- ... 9e&vxp=mtr

Here are some photo's, packaging, mirrors disassembled(you only need the mirror and boot), and comparison to a stock Pilot mirror....

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 42.17 KiB | Viewed 1121 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 38.98 KiB | Viewed 1121 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 39.25 KiB | Viewed 1121 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 37.21 KiB | Viewed 1121 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:50 am 

Looking at the end of the mirror, you can see the small hole that needs to be drilled out and tapped to 8mm x 1.25 for a stud to bolt to OEM mirror mounts on the roll bars. The square hole remains, and you only want to drill and tap 1/4"-5/16" deep as the mirror mount tapers toward the ball socket. Just need enough threads to catch the new stud(or cut off an end of a threaded bolt) and add a M8 x 1.25 nut to lock the stud to the mirror. On my first set of mirrors(white) I filled the square hole with JB weld and covered the lock nut as well, pretty sure that will never fall out...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 37.47 KiB | Viewed 1118 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 38.85 KiB | Viewed 1118 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 40.29 KiB | Viewed 1118 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 49.82 KiB | Viewed 1118 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 39.71 KiB | Viewed 1118 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 41.9 KiB | Viewed 1118 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:09 pm 

A second M8 x 1.25 nut goes on the end of the protruding stud to be able to lock the mirror to the roll bar. You can use a thick or thin nut here if you want to suck in the mirror a bit if you find it sticks out a little further(it will no matter what but it is only about an inch longer than stock when mounted). You may have to shorten the end of the stud a bit if you find the stud contacts the roll bar and the mirror sticks out further than you'd like. Add the rubber boot, screw in the new mirror like stock, lock the jam nut, and position your mirror for best rear viewing(lots of adjustment on the mirror ball). Because of the universal nature of these mirrors, one of your "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" will be upside down when reading, not a big deal to me. Good luck with yours and enjoy!! (TB)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 36.28 KiB | Viewed 1116 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 55.18 KiB | Viewed 1116 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 52.31 KiB | Viewed 1116 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:11 pm 

NICE, I like it:)
Good stuff TB, can't wait to see your pilot once completed!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:58 pm 

If you want to get Stylish, here is a different shape, same manufacturer, same mod to mount. These remind me of a Revolt mirror and as shipped are meant for panel mounting just like on a Revolt. If you have panels or doors on your Pilot/Oddy both styles will mount directly, a nice option to know.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 21.38 KiB | Viewed 1109 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 10.96 KiB | Viewed 1109 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:08 am 

Trailblazer

I got 2 from a Flebay seller in Oz $60AU delivered

Fitted as per your previous post and looks good

But the FL350 has the mirror mount on a greater angel than the Pilot

But I am happy and the Big PLUS is I have a better view

Attachments:
IMAG2548.jpg
IMAG2548.jpg [ 45.19 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
IMAG2549.jpg
IMAG2549.jpg [ 61.45 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:44 pm 

Hey, I bought the same mirror, just have not modified it yet, I was going to put an insert in it, but figured that would be too large a hole and would get too close to the taper, now thinking of a hilicoil but not sure if the square cut out is too big to get full contact. after seeing your post, I may just do it like yours, tap a bit, fill with JB weld and a nut.

It bugs me a bit that this is sold as an 8mm setup, who in their right mind references the socket size used?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:11 pm 

wyeeoddy wrote:
Trailblazer

So did you have enough adjustment for angle on the ball to make them work ok? You are the first 350 owner I know of to try them and I should have bolted them to my 350 as I knew the 8mm was the same, but not that the bar angle was different. 350 mirrors are tiny in size, these will be bigger for sure for better rear viewing so I hope they work and look good for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 pm 

Kuma wrote:
Hey, I bought the same mirror, just have not modified it yet, I was going to put an insert in it, but figured that would be too large a hole and would get too close to the taper, now thinking of a hilicoil but not sure if the square cut out is too big to get full contact. after seeing your post, I may just do it like yours, tap a bit, fill with JB weld and a nut.

It bugs me a bit that this is sold as an 8mm setup, who in their right mind references the socket size used?

Nice idea on the inserts, I briefly thought about finding a better solution myself but honestly for the time it takes the way I did it, it will last. That square hole kinda makes it harder for options, but it also helps lock the JB in to the stud. I put some under the stud as I screwed it in to re-enforce the taper as well. I never saw them advertised as 8mm myself, I must have missed that or your seller was wrong. Sorry about that. Someone will come up with a better way I am sure to mount these, or maybe someone can find a better mirror that bolts on for the same money. It was just about finding a way to get away from high $$$ and scarce Oem Parts, as they continue to get harder to find so we need an easier option, and have to consider alternate sources and ideas. All in all these don't look bad when mounted, but need "a bit of work" to mount. I might try to just JB weld the stud in the square hole next time, and would be a good solution if anyone doesn't have a way to drill and tap

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:44 pm 

Kuma wrote:
Hey, I bought the same mirror, just have not modified it yet, I was going to put an insert in it, but figured that would be too large a hole and would get too close to the taper, now thinking of a hilicoil but not sure if the square cut out is too big to get full contact. after seeing your post, I may just do it like yours, tap a bit, fill with JB weld and a nut. It bugs me a bit that this is sold as an 8mm setup, who in their right mind references the socket size used?

I was just about to say I know a guy that could use the info discussed in this thread. haha

The mirrors look good!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:01 pm 

John l wrote:
Kuma wrote:
Hey, I bought the same mirror, just have not modified it yet, I was going to put an insert in it, but figured that would be too large a hole and would get too close to the taper, now thinking of a hilicoil but not sure if the square cut out is too big to get full contact. after seeing your post, I may just do it like yours, tap a bit, fill with JB weld and a nut. It bugs me a bit that this is sold as an 8mm setup, who in their right mind references the socket size used?

I was just about to say I know a guy that could use the info discussed in this thread. haha

The mirrors look good!

Ya, he may have found them in one of my other posts before I even did a how to (good eye...lol). I did a second set because I felt like more info was necessary, (and adding white to a pilot is not as easy as my 350) he probably didn't expect that square hole on disassembly(I didn't!!). They are built pretty tough as I am sure water tests them well, and if we roll our machines I know breaking a $27 mirror will be minor on the list of damages.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:13 am 

Trailblazer wrote:
wyeeoddy wrote:
Trailblazer

So did you have enough adjustment for angle on the ball to make them work ok? You are the first 350 owner I know of to try them and I should have bolted them to my 350 as I knew the 8mm was the same, but not that the bar angle was different. 350 mirrors are tiny in size, these will be bigger for sure for better rear viewing so I hope they work and look good for you.

Funny you mentioned that. The angle on the ball is good but 2 to 3 mm would be perfect.
but very happy will find out in a weeks time. In the final prep for the 9 day ride.

Profile E-mail