Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:38 pm 

I have some great(and not so great!!) memories of my buddy's then brand new '86 ATC250r, which he still owns(and won't part with). Been bugging him a lot lately because I have had an itch to play with a three wheeler, not sure why. Turns out he was hiding a rough '85 he picked up years ago after returning from living in Australia for a few years. Never knew about that one... And we spent the day digging it out of his parents garage today. It is no where near as nice as his '86, but it is mostly complete except for a twist throttle and the rear wheels(he gave me the stock gold ones too). I must have really pestered him good on his '86.... Cause he just gave me this '85 for free just to shut me up. I can't complain for free. I have wanted a basket case project for awhile, and this will do nicely, I just have to decide how to rebuild it up. My first thought was to make it black and silver like my bike, but I am fascinated with the elusive '87 250r ATC's so I am considering a cloneish restoration of this machine. I love my '85 oddy's colours, Red frame, white fenders, and blue seat. And this done as a tribute to the '87's that never made it should be a fun project.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 49.93 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 30.96 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:07 pm 

Congratulations cant wait to see it when your done, the handlebars stock ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:26 pm 

That brings back memories. I had the 85' KAWASAKI version of that machine. My buddy had the 85' honda. We would drag race those things and my kawy always got the hole shot. Top speed was the same. Wish I still had it. They were kicking ass machines. Fast for the day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:39 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
That brings back memories. I had the 85' KAWASAKI version of that machine. My buddy had the 85' honda. We would drag race those things and my kawy always got the hole shot. Top speed was the same. Wish I still had it. They were kicking ass machines. Fast for the day.

When I lived in Florida one of my riding buddies had the 85 Kawisucki every time we drag raced I was either side by side or slightly ahead of him on my 83 ATC250R both bone stock including tires when I raced at the track in Punta Gorda Florida their was always at least 2 of the Kawisuckis we raced with we always finished pretty close but the Hondas had the hole shot advantage no clue if they had any mods or not to those I was stock. When my buddy bought the Kawisucki he had a ATC200X and was tired of eating my dust he said he bought it so he could make me eat dust, before the FIRST time we drag raced I told him if I lose I was buying the Hondaline 300cc kit for my 250 lol :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:49 pm 

hoser wrote:
Congratulations cant wait to see it when your done, the handlebars stock ?

Stock bars, but bent... Rear caliper seized(why it was parked for years) cables shot, left side case saver mounts broken, plastics shot, air box is completely full of insulation and ?(nest). Seat cleaned up not bad(original Honda), motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) not seized and has compression, fork seals shot... Still assessing what it needs, plastics come off tomorrow and I will get the gunk of everything. Will be taken to bare frame and built from there, but looking like a original resto with Oem parts will be cost prohibitive. So I will make it a sharp looking runner and save the money for an '86(or real '87... Lol)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:58 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:

I would love to have a Tecate3, bad ass bike but supposedly never handled as good as the Honda's. My first ride on an '86(and only trike I've ever driven) resulted in a pretty twisted up knee and some rash when my foot slipped of the peg and I drove over it with the back tire... Ripped me right off the machine and the trike just kept going until my buddy caught it... Lol. Fond memories on that '86, especially the speed at the top of 6th!! The ban was total B.S..... Would we still have dirt bikes if someone tested how "tippy" they were ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:55 am 

Trailblazer wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

I would love to have a Tecate3, bad ass bike but supposedly never handled as good as the Honda's. My first ride on an '86(and only trike I've ever driven) resulted in a pretty twisted up knee and some rash when my foot slipped of the peg and I drove over it with the back tire... Ripped me right off the machine and the trike just kept going until my buddy caught it... Lol. Fond memories on that '86, especially the speed at the top of 6th!! The ban was total B.S..... Would we still have dirt bikes if someone tested how "tippy" they were ?

You got lucky same thing happen to my sister but she lost the top half of her foot because it happened on pavement on the street. Road took the whole top of her foot off tendons and all nothing left to find.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:17 pm 

Ouch... Very sorry for your sister. That's really really terrible to hear. Seems to be a common injury with these things. I hope she is doing ok living with her injury today, I will be a lot more cautious riding it for sure and I am going to try to mount some heel guards on it as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:48 pm 

yeh get some nerf bars with the webbing to keep u from putting down your feet its a natural reaction that you will pay for, cant count how many times i've done it and been ripped off and ridden over by my own atc as a kid lol.. but yeh she still has pain and discomfort in her foot.
heres some pics b4 and after. the before pic is a bad quality picture but you can tell the amount of damage.

Attachments:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg [ 29.06 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]
IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1815.JPG [ 62.99 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:16 pm 

bl1tzkr13g wrote:
yeh get some nerf bars with the webbing to keep u from putting down your feet its a natural reaction that you will pay for, cant count how many times i've done it and been ripped off and ridden over by my own atc as a kid lol.. but yeh she still has pain and discomfort in her foot.
heres some pics b4 and after. the before pic is a bad quality picture but you can tell the amount of damage.

What kind of shoes was she wearing?

What was the riders experience at the time of foot grinding?

Was any intoxicants involved?

Questions are based on my experience with 3 wheelers, I started riding them in 1971.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm 

Normal shoes like vans or something. was passenger with my brother driving it(yes i know no passengers on atc and quads but its done anyways). he was an experienced rider, and no no intoxication we were in late teen years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:58 pm 

i ran myself over once with the 125cc atc. sometimes it would stick in 2nd or 3rd gear, so you had to give it a little running push start. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:50 am 

I stopped a 200 big red with my leg once. Didn't completely run me over but it wanted to. No real injury but it hurt. Foot peg skinned me up and I had a tire track bruised into my thigh and ass cheek.

Profile E-mail