Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL350 Project
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:17 am 

Picked up my FL350 yesterday. Needs a good amount of work as its a roller now. Some interesting things I have discovered so far:

Cage is welded, not bolted like factory. I have read things on here about people not being a fan of that, and that something might get bent if crashed. I ran about 25 measurements across the frame, and its square and straight.

I have not seen any others with these bars on the sides so car, anyone know if they are factory accessories or aftermarket?

Does anyone know if factory shocks are able to be rebuilt?

I plan to mount a rotax in it over the winter. I wanted to get it done this summer yet, but I want to do it right. I plan to pull it all apart, once the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is fitted have the frame and all suspension parts powder coated factory colors. All new bushings etc. Unsure of what I want for wheels and tires. I will update this as the build goes on. So far people have been very helpful on this site. Thanks!

Attachments:
IMG_20150717_170019301_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150717_170019301_HDR.jpg [ 41 KiB | Viewed 2088 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FL350 Project
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:38 am 

The rear shocks can be rebuilt if you can find seals. I took mine to several shops and no one had them. I may order a seal set for rear pilot shocks and see if there the same. The shaft and body diameters seem to be the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:46 pm 

fitztool wrote:
Picked up my FL350 yesterday. Needs a good amount of work as its a roller now. Some interesting things I have discovered so far:

Cage is welded, not bolted like factory. I have read things on here about people not being a fan of that, and that something might get bent if crashed. I ran about 25 measurements across the frame, and its square and straight.

I have not seen any others with these bars on the sides so car, anyone know if they are factory accessories or aftermarket?

Does anyone know if factory shocks are able to be rebuilt?

I plan to mount a rotax in it over the winter. I wanted to get it done this summer yet, but I want to do it right. I plan to pull it all apart, once the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is fitted have the frame and all suspension parts powder coated factory colors. All new bushings etc. Unsure of what I want for wheels and tires. I will update this as the build goes on. So far people have been very helpful on this site. Thanks!

I was looking at that machine online as well. Can I asked what you paid ??
1) Those side rails are not stock and if the guy just butt the tubes up to the frame and welded I think they will just tear off and damage your frame tubes (the oddy frames are real thin tube). Don't like em. I was gona cut them off if I had it.
2) Like was said the rear shocks could be rebuilt but you need to find seals - that's tough.
3) The fronts could be rebuilt as well (I had a thread going on mine when I cut one apart but again it's finding the seals that's the issue). I think buying other shocks is probably what you are going to end up doing as you won't find the seals.
4) Why rotax ?? Don't have original Engine ??

Found it (front) --- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15072&hilit=shock

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:10 pm 

Actually yours is not the one I was looking at. Went back to look. There is one that looks very similar to your frame. Someone down in Riverside cali must be modifying them like that. Probably after a big crash that wrecks the top end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:39 pm 

I paid a little over $500 for it. The bars on the sides bolt onto the lower part of the frame with a small round clamp. They are gold like the front suspension arms, which is why I thought it might be a factory accessory. The unit did not come with an Engine or seat, but I do have the seat frame.

I figured a rotax would be lower cost that trying to find a running factory Engine?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:10 pm 

fitztool wrote:
I paid a little over $500 for it. The bars on the sides bolt onto the lower part of the frame with a small round clamp. They are gold like the front suspension arms, which is why I thought it might be a factory accessory. The unit did not come with an Engine or seat, but I do have the seat frame.

I figured a rotax would be lower cost that trying to find a running factory Engine?

Wow nice machine for $500
I paid $1200 for a completely crap machine with no fenders, junk wheels, no gas tank, smashed front plastic tube and no stock seat but some kind of giant seat installed. The only reason I bought it was for the trans, axels, led lights, various small parts and the rebuilt Engine it had in it, but I will have to take the Engine apart anyways to inspect. Frame seems straight too.
If your side tubes are bolted on your good. The gold paint Honda used you can get at a hardware store. It is gold metallic and matches perfect. Don't know where you live but there are members here who sell lots of oddy parts incl engines. I bought one from B.S (screen name here). He lives in cali and has lots of fl350 stuff he was trying to sell off. Send him a pm as he may have a seat, who knows. Rotax swaps have there own issues. Don't think you can use the stock gas tank so now fuel storage becomes an issue. I am not a fan of the large fuel tanks mounted over a guys head. It makes the machine top heavy and it's dangerous in my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:54 pm 

Tell you what, I do not like the "hard" front bumper what-so-ever. Use your imagination as to how that frame could collapse & fold up if you tried to mow down a tree at 50mph. Maybe the prev owner was tall and needed more leg room (?).

Stock front end has a "collapsable" bumper and then both the upper and lower frame absorb the impact on the two front cross tubes (j-arm mounts).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:39 pm 

I am going to pick up a 94 Formula ST this weekend with electric start for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) swap. I don't have the room to keep the sled around, so I must dismantle the sled and pull all usable parts I need for the swap in 1 day. Anyone have a list of parts to make sure get pulled? I am pulling the following but don't want to miss anything:Engine, Exhaust, Primary, Harness, CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) Box.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:12 pm 

fitztool wrote:
I am going to pick up a 94 Formula ST this weekend with electric start for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) swap. I don't have the room to keep the sled around, so I must dismantle the sled and pull all usable parts I need for the swap in 1 day. Anyone have a list of parts to make sure get pulled? I am pulling the following but don't want to miss anything:Engine, Exhaust, Primary, Harness, CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) Box.

Thanks

Just take everything in the Engine bay + all the dash electrical + hand controls/switches + fuel primer plunger. I think the only wiring you can't get to may include the taillight (?). Use masking tap to mark everything as you take it apart. Take a lot of pictures, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:29 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Actually yours is not the one I was looking at. Went back to look. There is one that looks very similar to your frame. Someone down in Riverside cali must be modifying them like that. Probably after a big crash that wrecks the top end.

what one in riverside did you see built like that? was it a spray painted black frame with green swing arms and rims by any chance?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:12 pm 

Great idea on the tape for the harness. I did that with a car a few years ago and made putting the harness back in a snap!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:03 pm 

bl1tzkr13g wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

what one in riverside did you see built like that? was it a spray painted black frame with green swing arms and rims by any chance?

Man I can't remember now but it did look like yours.

Profile E-mail