Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FrankenOddy Project?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 pm 

So, I previously posted about a problem with the FL350 I have due to Width. The trail systems we ride here in Oregon, many of them have a 50" Width. Which of course is to narrow for the FL350 in stock form.

My daughter is fearless in the sand, but hates woods riding without a cage. I had previously bought this Artic Cat 500 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) with front Diff and rear Axle setup to build a little buggy a while back. Well, fast forward to finding out the FL350 is too wide. I purchased a FL350 Frame/cage and from eyeballing things, it looks like I can stuff the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) where the original went. I'll have to do a bunch of fabbing of mounts and whatnot, but not too big of a deal. The issue is going to be that rear Axle. Due to the design of the thing it's going to stick way out the back. So, trying to decide how to move forward from here on that part.

For the front end, I want to buy an old 4x4 quad and cut out the front suspension and graft it in. I just haven't found one for sale locally yet.

The motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is sitting on the other side of the cage, basically in line with where it would sit. The rear Axle is as far forward as it can go without modification to connect to the axle shaft coming out of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).

Anyhow, thought I would post this to see what people thought, or if they have suggestions on stuff. I'd like to do an electric power steering as well.

Attachments:
File comment: Beginning the Buggy.
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG [ 82.39 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FrankenOddy Project?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:57 pm 

Are you going to use the stock oddy gearbox or the arctic cat ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:10 pm 

The gearbox for the Artic Cat is actually part of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) case. So, if I don't use the Artic Cat rear axle setup I'll either have to find a different Rear Diff that matches the gearing in the front or find a matched pair for sale. The tricky part is ti find something with a short enough axle to fit right behind the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). The Artic Cat rear Axle setup pushes it way back like you see in the pic. I'll be fitting the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) into the cage over the next few days I think, then I'll be looking at what I can do to shorten the input shaft to the rear Axle. Problem being that the whole rear axle moves and thus I either need to introduce a U joint or use the current small flex design on it now. Shortening the input shaft though would dramatically increase the angles that flex would take, thus possible a U joint would be better.

I had thought about running the Engine sideways and figuring out a chain setup to run back to an Ody Trans. But them I am really intruding a lot of re-design so to mess around with this idea. Meant to be a low cost play project. If I am going to dump a ton of money into it I might as well just buy a Polaris Ace and be done... But where is the fun in that right? :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:33 pm 

I don't know bud, but that looks like it is gona be a real big job and might not work out that well. I would be using the stock oddy trans and then trying to shoe horn in something for an Engine. Or better yet rebuild the stock Engine and spend the money you are gona spend on this project to re&re the suspension.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:17 pm 

Hi and thanks for the reply CanadianOddy. To be clear, I did not vulture my other FL350. I picked up this frame you see here recently just to build using this particular motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and whatnot. So, technically I do not have an additional Ody trans to play with. Not without buying one at least. I do plan on creating a separate thread for the work I do on my other FL350.

I could just bite the bullet and lengthen the stock FL350 frame I have, but any additional length will increase the turning radius and make it more difficult on tight trails in the woods which I would want to avoid.

Tonight I plan on removing the yolk/input shaft for the rear axle and see what can be done to shorten it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:17 pm 

What about an idea like this below ??
Make your own back end and use vw or Subaru cv's.

Attachments:
buggy.jpg
buggy.jpg [ 23.98 KiB | Viewed 1388 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:52 pm 

HEY! That frame looks familiar!

You're not wasting any time now are you?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:58 pm 

Randman wrote:
HEY! That frame looks familiar!

You're not wasting any time now are you?

Rand

:-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:03 pm 

Hah Rand. Yes, quite familiar huh? I am sure this will take me all winter so I better get started!

Canadian Oddy, the issue is the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) I have has drive shafts. It's not a chain drive, otherwise I think what you have in that picture is where I would go with it for sure. Would be much simpler.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 pm 

motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is hung from the top motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts. I welded in a new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount at the head. Then used the holes for the original suspension for an L-BAR across for the rear top mount. So, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is hanging in the cage now.

Looking at the existing rear suspension I have, at best I think I could save maybe 12" and that still will not put the rear suspension under the existing cage. So, I think i've decided to simple build on a rear hoop/bed. Make it look somewhat like a mini truggy. This will keep the wheelbase super long, but I figure if I create some really stout tree bars I can bounce the rear end off stuff in a tight corner on a trail.

I still need to source a front suspension from an existing quad, preferably a 4x4.

Next up is to get some 1 1/2" bar to begin adding to the frame for the rear suspension and axle.

Attachment:
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG [ 85.6 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]

Profile E-mail