Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:42 am 

I wanted to share a small project of mine with you all that's unrelated to my electric pilot build. I've been making some parts for a 10-hp custom built go kart similar in size to the Pilot. Generally, most of the parts are custom built and being contributed by some others. The parts I've been contributing are custom wheel hubs and brake rotors for both the front and rear of the vehicle.

The front hubs are basically the same footprint as a 08 TRX 450R front hub (4/144 pattern), but with 4 rotor bolts instead of 3. The material is 7075 aluminum.

The rear hubs are basically the same footprint as an 08 Foreman 500 front hub (4/110 pattern), with the exception being that no rotor mounts exist. A single rotor is mounted to the gearbox size of the axle.

The rear hub uses 2 pieces. The outer part is 7075 aluminum, and the insert is 4340 steel. The steel insert has exterior star lobes in it to prevent slipping. Splines will be cut into the interior bore of the insert via EDM.

The rear rotor can be seen below. Both rotors will be cut out of .125 4340 steel via waterjetting. Sandblasting and surface grinding to follow.

Here's some exploded views of how everything goes together:

Some of the finite element analysis photos:

Below is looking at the effects of a side impact, such as a curb:

Same thing, different hub:

Here's one of the insert with a case for a torque load of 700 ft-lbs:

More of torque cases for the rotors (Should say 700 ft-lbs not 500):

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:55 am 

Here's where the fun starts:
Prepping the stock pieces:

Started on the first front hub:

Getting closer. The part is still square at the end of the cnc cycle, as boring will be performed on the top bearing hole. Afterwards, the four block corners will be cut off with the bansaw, and the part will be placed on the lathe to finish the backside up and bore the other bearing hole.

Boring the top hole:

Here's the current state. Need to finish the backside up still.

Getting started on the rear hubs. First the backside pocket was milled out.

Moved the part to the lathe to create the surface profile:

Milling the pockets and star lobes:

The final step will be cutting out the plus sign while the part is bolted to a jig plate. Here's a screenshot from Mastercam:

Because the wheel studs have a unique press hole diameter (13/32"), I made some custom shoulder bolts to make a close fit. I meant to make 4 bolts, but only got around to making 3.

Part bolted to jig:

Finished:

Rotors water jetted and sand blasted:

Hope you all enjoy this. I'll post more pictures as I get closer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:45 am 

Wow!
Nice work:()

Are you thinking about making hubs and rotors for the pilot or odyssey?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:23 pm 

Nice work..cad, FEA and machining.

Is this a class project or something?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:07 pm 

Pilot bird wrote:
Wow!
Nice work:()

Are you thinking about making hubs and rotors for the pilot or odyssey?

Seeing how these hubs have a similar bolt pattern to what's used on the pilot, I'm considering making a set of front hubs for the pilot. I'd like to see an option for a disk brake setup that didn't require cutting the stock spindles or changing rims or knuckles.

I'm not sure how custom rotors could be beneficial for the pilot or odyssey, unless parts are getting hard to get.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:18 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Nice work..cad, FEA and machining.

Is this a class project or something?

I'm doing this with a couple others for the SAE Baja design build challenge. Here's a picture of last years build:

While they aren't as fun to ride as a pilot due to being only 10 hp, building the parts is a lot of fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:55 pm 

Here's an update on the progress:

Cut off the corners with a bansaw

Machined some lathe jaws to better hold the part:

Lathed down the backside of the hub:

Finished boring the holes, and here's the part ready to get anodized:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:04 am 

So today I started on the inserts for the rear hubs. These are made of 4340 steel and will be pressed into the rear hub with the matching lobe pattern. The axle will slide into the middle of the insert.

Stock piece ready to be put on the mill to cut the lobe pattern out

Finished piece:

All four pieces finished. These parts are ready to be shipped off to get the internal splines cut into the shaft via EDM so they mate up to the Honda foreman CVs being used.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:41 pm 

Any idea on how much the EDM costs?

Would be nice to see what it'd cost to build a set of axle adapters for the stock FL350 box. Would have internal Honda-25-spline, 2 holes for the axle retention, and then perhaps a type-2 VW axle (or some other popular/cheap CV). Its basically what Methodical and I have been playing with recently. Also wonder what EDM costs vs. what jknarfal had done with the shaper (?) on his alternative output shaft.

Would be slick to have an adapter like this...
Attachment:
fghfghfghfghfghfgh.jpg
fghfghfghfghfghfgh.jpg [ 28.66 KiB | Viewed 3357 times ]

Or even one like this where you'd use the stock Honda Oddy/ATC rear wheel hub (with retention bolt holes added) and then use an adapter plate like this...
Attachment:
1644.jpg
1644.jpg [ 55.47 KiB | Viewed 3357 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:25 am 

Finally got the hubs back from being anodized. Gold was selected as the color scheme of the vehicle is black and gold. The front hubs are ready to have the bearings, seals, and studs pressed in. Once I get the inserts back from wire edm, those will be assembled as well.

Here's how the front hubs turned out:

and the rear hubs:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:01 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:

Would be nice to see what it'd cost to build a set of axle adapters for the stock FL350 box. Would have internal Honda-25-spline, 2 holes for the axle retention, and then perhaps a type-2 VW axle (or some other popular/cheap CV). Its basically what Methodical and I have been playing with recently. Also wonder what EDM costs vs. what jknarfal had done with the shaper (?) on his alternative output shaft.

Attachment:
fghfghfghfghfghfgh.jpg

Or even one like this where you'd use the stock Honda Oddy/ATC rear wheel hub (with retention bolt holes added) and then use an adapter plate like this...
Attachment:
1644.jpg

From what I've been researching, EDM cost depends a lot on setup and machine time. EDM in generally is very slow and speed is measured in square inches per hour (accounting for depth of cut). Some people quote by the amount of area needed to be cut, so that's the total distance traveled by the wire times the depth of the cut. So cutting the external profile of large gears is going to cost much more compared to tiny gears. If you can provide the shop with the spline specs, or the mating shaft and center distance, they can be up and running the machine in short order. Other than for tiny gears, a shaper will probably overtake the wire machine by the 2nd or 3rd part. Unfortunately, Honda seems to use non standard splines, such as a 37.5 pressure angle on the CV shafts below.

From machinist forums, I found that depending on the machine, you're looking at about 0.075" per minute (newer machines may go 3-4 times as fast). So you can probably get a rough idea of cost incurred due to machine time based on the speed, the total area to cut for both roughing and finish passes, and $80.00 per hour. Factor in setup and programming time on top of that.

In addition to those four inserts, three spool gears were sent to have internal splines cut to meet up against a Can-Am shaft (the axles use a custom length shaft in addition to the inboard Can-Am and outboard Foreman 450 CV's). So for a total of 7 items with 2 different setups (both CV's have the same spline data), the value was a few hundred dollars.

That first adapter would be relatively easy to do (assuming you were only doing the splines), and for a set of 2, I'd imagine you would come in around a fraction of that cost. If you were mass producing them, I'd imagine investing in a custom broach would be nice.

I'm not quite sure how the second adapter would be used. Could you explain a little more?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:45 am 

Pressed some bearings, seals, and studs into one of the front hubs today. This hub is ready to be mounted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:12 pm 

Here's how the rotors turned out: The front rotor is on the left while the rear rotor is on the right.

I finally had more time to finish up the remaining front hubs. Also, seen in this photo is one of the front rotors I made.

After receiving the inserts back from wireEDM, I finished pressing the studs and inserts into the rear hub. Here's how it turned out:

Here's a comparison of the Honda foreman hub with the hub I created:

Here's all the hubs together:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 am 

Very nice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:03 am 

I was able to get the rotors blanchard ground. The front hub fits like a glove. The calipers used are Wilwood PS1 calipers.

Here's the rear hubs in their final mounting setup. In the background are CVtech clutches and a clear cover built by a friend.

Chassis nearly completed:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:22 am 

So what became of this project ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:47 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:

Attachment:
fghfghfghfghfghfgh.jpg

Attachment:
1644.jpg

I love this! Man I need to convert my mill to CNC... Anyway, I'm still working on the FL350 output shaft adapters. The plan is exactly as Dmoney said, internal Honda splines, 2 cross bolts for retention and the ability to be used with different CV's. I don't recall seeing what you paid for the EDM process, what approximately did it end up costing. I'm weighing my options. I may move forward with having a couple custom pull broaches made, seems to be the most efficient choice for spline many sets..

From discussing the splining process with jknarfal, doing it manually is way to resource intensive.. I must say though, I thoroughly enjoy reading these SAE projects. The creativity and scientific/engineering thoughts that go into theses builds is spectacular..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:14 am 

We traveled out to Lebec, California for the competition. The competition mainly focused on a 4 four endurance race, but there were some some side events, such as a hill climb, maneuverability, and acceleration. My hubs and rotors performed pretty well. We were 25th out of 100 teams through the majority of the race, but a damaged brake line (rock) and consequential rollover gave us a delay. We finished 36th. Overall it was a lot of fun. Here are some photos:

Overview of the track:

Look at all the flags:

Lining up for tech inspection:

Gridding for the race:

All the Big 10 teams (Left to Right: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Purdue (us), Wisconsin. Illinois did not make the picture):

Here's a video of the maneuverability course I created:

Link in case above doesn't work: https://youtu.be/z-zOwrTPlO0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:32 am 

Of course, that wasn't the only competition we traveled to. Here are two others earlier in the year:

Midnight Mayhem (Louisville, KY):

We took builds from previous years down to Louisville to race under the lights during October 2015. Rain leading up to the race made it very muddy.

Blizzard Baja (Houghton, MI):

Similar to above, but in single digit temperatures during February 2016. The entire course was built out of packed snow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:13 pm 

That's cool. Congrats on even finishing, it's about engineering, honest competition and friendships.
If engineering was the only factor I would give you the win hands down based on the pics I have seen here.
I noticed flags from other countries in one of the pictures. How many if any foreign teams ?? Any idea how they made out ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:02 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
That's cool. Congrats on even finishing, it's about engineering, honest competition and friendships.
If engineering was the only factor I would give you the win hands down based on the pics I have seen here.
I noticed flags from other countries in one of the pictures. How many if any foreign teams ?? Any idea how they made out ??

Thanks! There were several foreign teams there. I remember seeing teams from Canada, Mexico, India, China, South Korea, Puerto Rico, and United Arab Emirates. Several teams from Mexico and Canada were able to simply drive to the event, but teams like South Korea and India actually had to ship their vehicle in a crate overseas.

If you are curious about results for all the teams, they can be found here: http://students.sae.org/cds/bajasae/results/

Profile E-mail