Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:22 pm 

The new parts that I ordered worked great and I was able to complete my steering today. The parts that I used for my steering are in the first picture below. I used weld in bungs, cone spacers, with 7/16 heim joints (LH/RH) for all the pivot points except the heim at the spindle. For that one I used a 1/2 heim with high misalignment spacers (shown on the left in picture).

My issue that methodical helped me with was that I originally was using the 7/16 heim with cone spacers at the spindle. The heim would bind when the suspension flexed and limit the travel of it. He recommended the high misalignment spacers and they made the difference.

Additionally I strengthened the upper shock mounts, and cut the old J-Arm mounts off. I just need to weld some brackets for a LED light bar now and then the main frame will be complete.

Attachment:
IMG_6046.JPG
IMG_6046.JPG [ 130.16 KiB | Viewed 65641 times ]

Attachment:
image2.JPG
image2.JPG [ 139.24 KiB | Viewed 65641 times ]

Attachment:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 129.67 KiB | Viewed 65641 times ]

Attachment:
image3.JPG
image3.JPG [ 133.54 KiB | Viewed 65641 times ]

Attachment:
image4.JPG
image4.JPG [ 110.34 KiB | Viewed 65641 times ]

Attachment:
image5.JPG
image5.JPG [ 100.25 KiB | Viewed 65641 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:34 am 

Had some time over the weekend to work on my project. Got my side panels installed and notched out to fit the nerf bars with them. I ordered the aluminium side panels online. Used stainless steel cushion clamps to mount them and also will be using a rubber edge trim to wrap around the edge of the panels. Been working on getting parts painted and I installed new bearings/seals in the rear axle carriers. The gold paint I'm using is a very close match to the glamis gold and the metallic really pops with the gloss clear coat on top. Slow moving progress but progress non the less.

Attachment:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 59.39 KiB | Viewed 65606 times ]

Attachment:
image2.JPG
image2.JPG [ 101.02 KiB | Viewed 65606 times ]

Attachment:
image3.JPG
image3.JPG [ 92.88 KiB | Viewed 65606 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:53 pm 

CurtisR401 wrote:
Had some time over the weekend to work on my project. Got my side panels installed and notched out to fit the nerf bars with them. I ordered the aluminium side panels online. Used stainless steel cushion clamps to mount them and also will be using a rubber edge trim to wrap around the edge of the panels. Been working on getting parts painted and I installed new bearings/seals in the rear axle carriers. The gold paint I'm using is a very close match to the glamis gold and the metallic really pops with the gloss clear coat on top. Slow moving progress but progress non the less.

Attachment:
image1.JPG

Attachment:
image2.JPG

Attachment:
image3.JPG

Can you post a picture of the paint can? And where you got the paint from?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 am 

[/quote] Can you post a picture of the paint can? And where you got the paint from?[/quote]

It is Rustoleum 7275830 Metallic Burnished Brass Spray Paint. I purchased a 6 pack of spray paint on ebay and got the best deal. I have seen it listed on the Lowe's website but it is order only, not sold in stores. Hope this helps

Attachment:
paint.JPG
paint.JPG [ 16.45 KiB | Viewed 65556 times ]

Here is a picture to compare this paint to OEM paint.
Attachment:
IMG_6527.JPG
IMG_6527.JPG [ 47.13 KiB | Viewed 65556 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:19 am 

who did you order the side panels from?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:40 pm 

Those side panels look identical to ones I have on both of my 350's. They are made by a company on eBay: rlm145 is his eBay seller name. I have been happy with mine!!!

PM me if you struggle finding them on eBay.

Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 am 

MGurgone40 wrote:
Those side panels look identical to ones I have on both of my 350's. They are made by a company on eBay: rlm145 is his eBay seller name. I have been happy with mine!!!

PM me if you struggle finding them on eBay.

Mike

Yes, that is where I got mine from. He is sold out right now but can make them for you if you reach out to him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:59 am 

Where did you get the "P" clamps to install them?

What size were they?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm 

Randman wrote:
Where did you get the "P" clamps to install them?

What size were they?

Rand

They can be found on many web sites if you do a google search for

anchor cushion clamps

The clamps I used were 1 inch, 1 1/4, and 1 1/2. I purchased them on eBay also lol.

FYI: There is also another piece to the side panels which is included but not shown in my pictures. 6 pieces total, 3 panels per side. . Because my FL 350s are still air cooled I have chosen to not use the middle piece to maximize airflow to the Engine, along with a "Oddycool" fan.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:06 pm 

Thanks!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:10 pm 

I really wanted those aluminum side panels for the ODY, I had them saved in my ebay watch list for what seemed like years. They just seemed like a lot of money for all (6?) pieces. By the time I gathered the money, the listing is gone :(
I sent a message to the guy on ebay yesterday seeing if he had any more, but no response.

I still love the look of the aluminum but I did find a 4'x8' sheet of 1/16" plastic at home depot for $20.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4- ... /202090190

I may give it a try in plastic first. Wish I had a set of aluminum ones to copy the dimensions from, but I will try mocking out in cardboard first and see where that goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 am 

I have been very busy the last few months and haven't put much time into this project. Things are starting to slow down and going to get back on track with it. I was sand blasting a lot of the parts myself but it was very time consuming and a pain in the ass. I sent everything out to a sandblasting business and picked it all up yesterday. I have decided against the powder coating and will be using POR-15 rust preventative coating and top coat products. I'll be getting started on the painting next week.

Attachment:
IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG [ 97.69 KiB | Viewed 65397 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 pm 

better plan to paint this weekend, fresh sand blasted metal will rust very quick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:49 am 

Kuma wrote:
better plan to paint this weekend, fresh sand blasted metal will rust very quick

I took your advise. Prepped everything and got the first coat on everything over the weekend. It is looking good so far.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:59 am 

Got 3 coats of the POR 15 rust preventative coating on the frames, cages, bumpers, and nerf bars. I put the first coat on with a brush and it came out perfect. no runs in the paint, glossy smooth finish. The second coat I decided to spray on to save some time. This was a bad idea. I had a lot of wasted over spray and several runs in the paint. If was very difficult to spray all the tubes with full coverage and not put it on to heavy. I am also new to this and borrowed the spray gun from a friend so it could have been operator error. I sanded down all the runs and then painted the last coat with a brush again. All in all I am very happy with the finish and will be getting some color on them this weekend using the POR15 top coat (UV resistant). Doing my best to restore them so they will last another 32 years.

Attachment:
IMG_7024.JPG
IMG_7024.JPG [ 162.36 KiB | Viewed 65320 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:21 pm 

:-) It feels pretty good to have some color on them. Per the directions, it can take up to 4 days for the paint to cure completely so everything will be hanging till the weekend. The second frame is another fl350 I purchased back in December. Overall it was in good shape but decided to go through it as well. Looking forward to start the reassembly.

Attachment:
IMG_7082.JPG
IMG_7082.JPG [ 77.6 KiB | Viewed 65289 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 pm 

How are u supposed to get paint all over the walls with the tarps up?
They look really good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
How are u supposed to get paint all over the walls with the tarps up?
They look really good.

It's not the walls I'm worried about, but my other toys and parts! I got some on them anyway with my home made paint both lol.

Two steps forward and one back is the way it usually goes for me. Smashed my left pointer finger with a sledgehammer 3 weeks ago. Swelling has gone down considerably but still no feeling in most of it. While doing my best to let it heal I have got a few things done. First thing was went through the wiring harnesses, cleaned them up, and installed them. I also installed the light bar on both. Rebuilt the steering column including the steering wheel, master cylinder, cables, key switch, etc.

I have decided to make some aluminum foot tubs for them and got the fist one started. Came out better then I expected and is going to fit really good. Still needs some finishing touches I hope to complete next week.

Attachment:
IMG_7153.JPG
IMG_7153.JPG [ 83.37 KiB | Viewed 65216 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7148.JPG
IMG_7148.JPG [ 75.51 KiB | Viewed 65216 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7145.JPG
IMG_7145.JPG [ 65.3 KiB | Viewed 65215 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 pm 

I got a little bit more done on my first aluminum foot tub. I still need to make a cover for where the steering column enters and drill holes w/ plastic grommets for the electrical and choke/throttle cable. Overall I am pretty happy with it and will use this template on the next as well. I haven't decided if i am going to paint it or not but i will be using rubber U channel trim around the edges.

Attachment:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 64.54 KiB | Viewed 65188 times ]

Attachment:
image5.JPG
image5.JPG [ 32.37 KiB | Viewed 65188 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7261.JPG
IMG_7261.JPG [ 49.98 KiB | Viewed 65188 times ]

Attachment:
image2.JPG
image2.JPG [ 72.77 KiB | Viewed 65188 times ]

Attachment:
image3.JPG
image3.JPG [ 58.58 KiB | Viewed 65188 times ]

Attachment:
image4.JPG
image4.JPG [ 57.31 KiB | Viewed 65188 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm 

Looking good. I can appreciate creativity when I see it.
One suggestion.
As u may or may not know I just built two aluminum roofs for a couple JD Gators.
What I found out was the aluminum is prone to picking up vibrations and it can get annoying. I used some fiberglass strip to tame the vibrations but it's still an echo chamber.
I plan on using bed liner paint or rubber under coating to paint the inside and help to deaden the noise.
Not sure how much of this may apply to you but thought it was worth mentioning.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 am 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Looking good. I can appreciate creativity when I see it.
One suggestion.
As u may or may not know I just built two aluminum roofs for a couple JD Gators.
What I found out was the aluminum is prone to picking up vibrations and it can get annoying. I used some fiberglass strip to tame the vibrations but it's still an echo chamber.
I plan on using bed liner paint or rubber under coating to paint the inside and help to deaden the noise.
Not sure how much of this may apply to you but thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks! I did think about that when I was putting this all together and think that I'll be alright with vibrations. A few things that I have going for me is I was able to use all stock mounting points, there are bends in the aluminum (.063) that make it more rigid, I can use anchor cushion clamps along the top and side if needed. I had considered using rubber bushings at mounting locations but I think that will actually make it worse. I really wont know until the engines get installed. I shouldn't be able to hear much with a helmet on and a screaming Engine behind me. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:22 am 

I didn't even consider the screaming Engine sitting behind u.
I tend to agree with you I obiously didn't think that out too well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:45 am 

FloridaEdd wrote:
I didn't even consider the screaming Engine sitting behind u.
I tend to agree with you I obiously didn't think that out too well.

You got me worried! I have invested a lot of time into these buggies and obviously don't want any vibrations if possible. I went back to my workshop last night to look further into any vibration issues. I did verify that I can brace it with a metal or fiberglass furring if needed & I may just do it anyway. The only place I felt a little wobble was the floor between the steering column and seat. This may be fine while sitting in the buggy because my legs will be resting on it but while at an idle, who knows? I was half joking about the Engine noise. Yes, the Engine will be loud and muffle any vibrations but it will also be the source of any vibrations. I have decide that I will be painting it and may use a textured bed liner or something like that. I need to find something that will really bond to the aluminum. I'll keep you posted once I get a little bit further with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:04 pm 

I just shot one coat of undercoating on the inside of the roof this morning and I have to go get another can to finish it.
I have some ridged fiberglass strip the we're originaley part of a sign support for temporary road side signs. Men working ect. They really took the wobble out. Before them it sounded like shaking a hand saw to make thunder type of sounds,old school sound effects.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:06 pm 

Pic

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 32.74 KiB | Viewed 65109 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next