Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Powder coat or paint?
Powder coat 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Spray Paint 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 am 

I am at the point in my FL350R restoration that the frame needs paint. Who suggests what?

I got a quote for $600 from the powder coater... If I go with this option does that price sound right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

I went with the powder coat but think I only spent around $400 for the frame. Not sure if where you're located has any effect but that is a $200 difference. I did get some other items (shock springs, Engine cases, muffler and expansion chamber) blasted to clean up and some for paint but they were priced separately. Only been about 18 months but seems to be holding up well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:13 pm 

I have been thinking of doing this as well. When you got that quote please give me an idea what that includes? You bring the frame to them and they provide only the powder coating? Any info would be appreciated.
Thx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:50 am 

MGurgone40 wrote:
I have been thinking of doing this as well. When you got that quote please give me an idea what that includes? You bring the frame to them and they provide only the powder coating? Any info would be appreciated.
Thx

Here is mu email from SDL powder coating here in New Jersey (please note this is strictly the frame not the cage, bumper, for skid plate, etc.

info@sdlcoating.com
Jun 20 (2 days ago)

to me
Hi –
We don’t do the sandblasting. We use Hyers AutoBody in Toms River. You would work directly with them on the sandblasting. We will pick up from them when it’s finished and bring it here to powder coat. Powder coating, including a 5 stage iron phosphate pre-treatment, is $600 in a color we have in stock. Current turnaround time is approximately 4 weeks.

Thanks,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:01 am 

These points have me juggling on what to do.

Fatcat

Nelly paid $500 for almost everything. May I reccommend if working on a budget it could be cheaper by sandblasting or stripping yourself and only powdercoating the frame and upper roll cage. The suspension and stuff comes off easy enough. Weekend project to put fresh paint on when it gets scuffed up. The frame is a serious project.

But hoser makes some good points

You going to ride this thing or look at it, you painting to protect the frame from rust or is this a ego stroking project? go powder coat it has all the benefits like you will never win any Pilot Odyssey custom paint shows with it, how you going to match it or touch up when its damaged, your never going to recover the money you spent on it.

I would say its more of a mental coating than anything, ever seen my Pilot its a mixture of factory paint and rattle can touch up I spent the powder coat money on gas for riding and actually went riding :-)

Some fool powder coated the frame of my TRX250R caused more problems than its ever going to be worth need to go back and chisel off all the paint where any bolts contact so they will stay tight the jackass even painted the inside of the swing arm where the bearing holder goes so the chain would never stay tight, looks good setting their with all the problems tho haha
one of these days I am going to strip that whole quad down and sand blast all that cheap ass paint off and repaint it with rattle can something that works and is problem free I will NEVER buy another ATV someone has had powder coated lesson learned wasted about 2 full days of my life dealing with the problems it has caused on that quad 2 days I will never get back

don't forget to splash on some carbon fiber and a few monster energy stickers lol

And the poll is really helping!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:28 pm 

The place you got the quote from, no way I would go there, the price seems high if they are not covering the sand blasting and 4 week turn around? it takes them about an hour to spray and a couple in the oven, maybe they have to do that twice if doing a primer, not sure how that works. the sand blasting in my opinion is the most difficult part of the operation.

Powder coat looks nice, soothes out rough looking welds and such, is generally tough, stands up well to sand.
the cons on powder is making repairs, difficult to clean off the coat if you need to weld.

If you have an electric oven/chamber Harbor Freight has a $100 unit that works well. you can do your own small parts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:51 pm 

I have found that some parts for the fl350 are not smart to powder coat due to attached parts not able to withstand the oven or the tolorances of the parts that need to be re-installed (bearings and such).

For these parts what are some good tough paint options. I Have a good air tank and have been contemplating buying a air spray gun but have no idea which paints would hold up the best or if I should just rattle can it...

Thoughts on toughest paint options...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 am 

djscoutmaster wrote:
I have found that some parts for the fl350 are not smart to powder coat due to attached parts not able to withstand the oven or the tolorances of the parts that need to be re-installed (bearings and such).

For these parts what are some good tough paint options. I Have a good air tank and have been contemplating buying a air spray gun but have no idea which paints would hold up the best or if I should just rattle can it...

Thoughts on toughest paint options...

I have been using POR15 on my projects and I have to say that it is very strong and holds up well. Self leveling also so you get a nice finish even if you brush it on. I debated powder coating everything but can get expensive. One of the nice things about paint is that you can always touch it up if needed. You can't fix powder coat.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10432

http://www.por15.com/

-Curtis

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:38 pm 

Do you use the por15 and top oat with spray paint or use the basecoat and hardnose topcoat. That process on there site for the hardnose has exstensive prep...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:09 pm 

For the regular parts I just use the POR-15 rust preventive coating. Paint it on bare metal with a brush, drys smooth. There are limited colors for this product line. 2 coats and I could hit it with a hammer and it doesn't chip / crack. This paint is F'n strong. I sand blasted the parts and cleaned the surface with alcohol but didn't follow the full prep procedure. I have done the full prep on other projects and I don't really think it makes a difference. Time will tell I guess.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15supregsup-Ru ... g_p_8.html

For the frame / color parts you'll want to use the single or dual part tops coat. They will both work great and you have more color options.

http://www.por15.com/Single-Part-Topcoats_c_14.html

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-2K-Urethane_p_123.html

If you don't have a sand blaster you can use aircraft paint remover. Works great on paint and powder coat. It will literally come off like butter. *** Wear gloves and long sleeve shirt***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:35 pm 

Can i use the por15 rust preventative coating and then just use a rattlecan over the top before it completly dries? I want that honda gold for some parts. I read that this provides a hard bond between the 2 and uv protection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 pm 

I noticed from the first link that there is clear... could I rattle can the frame red and them coat it to make it extra strong?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:27 am 

You will need to see if the two paints are compatible. Some clear paints sprayed over a base will cause extreme wrinkling or orange peel.

Test some small parts first.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:48 pm 

I sprayed the frame and covered it with a clear chip guard.

Profile E-mail