Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 am 

Bumping this one. I've been chatting with Fully through messenger about doing WB tuning, and he bought the same setup I used. I hope to be able to help him along with tuning his PWK39 on his custom FL350r Engine soon, once he gets his Polaris pump installed :)

Has anyone else ventured efforts with wideband tuning?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 am 

So far I’m liking it. Tells you exactly what’s going on. I haven’t got into any real tuning yet. But with his help I will finally see the full potential of this Engine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:13 am 

Good work guys. This look very promising.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:05 pm 

Update. I'm sure Fully will report back in a few weeks, but we've found his 180 main jet was way too small thus far. It was so small that I honestly think it might have been mis-firing at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and possibly throwing off the EGT reading! The A/F meter was showing 15~16:1 AF at wide open throttle.

He has since jumped 16 jet sizes to a 220 but still coming up slightly lean at 13:1 on the A/F and still 1300F on the EGT. I think once he tries his 230 main it will make his machine bullet proof. He says its running with more power than before; I should hope because power requires fuel!

He was so far off on his main jet, we haven't really settled on a needle change at this point, but that should be easy. I'm thinking possibly only one needle swap if any.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:14 pm 

I can’t thank zero client enough been a huge help. It’s getting close and there’s a noticeable difference in power. And that’s not just me ass dyno talking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:38 pm 

First and foremost a very big thank you to ZeroClient for all his help as I am going thru this process...

The new 35mm PWK I bought for the 350 seemed quite rich throughout the entire throttle range right from the start. Struggled to get it to idle especially. We had dropped from the original 48 pilot to a 42 which helped it but still very fat idle and it had a stumble right off idle. WOT (Wide Open Throttle) also seemed a little off but plug chop didn't look bad. We dropped from the 160 main it came with to a 155 which seemed to help but I wanted to really know what was going on so I bought the WB O2 setup a few days ago. Got it setup and began testing yesterday.

Making the sensor clamp work with the original pipe was a bit of a challenge. Some quality red neck engineering solved the issue. After some measuring and digging around, I figured out that a piece of left over top rail from a chain link fence was the perfect answer. lol... No really. The small end is a great fit in the factory silencer. I cut a 6" piece and tapped it in place.

ImageIMG_9189 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9194 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

I wired power from the battery for the gauge and made simple bracket from a piece of aluminum angle to mount it on the right front cage down tube connection. Obviously this setup is only on the buggy for tuning so no need to do anything elaborate. I moved the GoPro mount to that down tube so I could record the readings even though trying to get decent video turned out to be more challenging that one would think it would have been.

ImageIMG_9193 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Original 35mm PWK setup. 48 pilot. 4.5 slide. DEK needle on position 3. 160 main.

After butt dyno/plug reading. 42 pilot. No change on needle or clip position. 155 main.

Once WB testing began we changed to a leaner 5.5 slide which helped the idle a lot but 1/4 and 1/2 throttle were still rich. ZeroClient convinced me to file and polish the original 4.5 slide to the dimensions of a 6.0 slide. I was a bit apprehensive but it turned out to be a pretty simple process. ZC also suggested moving the needle clp to position #4.

The slide after mods...

ImageIMG_E9190 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

This greatly improved the idle and completely fixed the off idle bog. 1/4 and 1/2 throttle performance is improved resulting in much more bottom end power. I didn't have any jets leaner than the 55 other than a 142. Gave that a try and it was too lean at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) as expected. I've ordered some leaner main jets and a richer needle from JetsRus. We'll resume testing once those parts arrive. I can't imagine doing this level of tuning without the WB. More to come...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:46 pm 

TerryH wrote:
First and foremost a very big thank you to Zero Client for all his help as I am going thru this process...

Once WB testing began we changed to a leaner 5.5 slide which helped the idle a lot but 1/4 and 1/2 throttle were still rich. Zero Client convinced me to file and polish the original 4.5 slide to the dimensions of a 6.0 slide. I was a bit apprehensive but it turned out to be a pretty simple process.

This greatly improved the idle and completely fixed the off idle bog. 1/4 and 1/2 throttle performance is improved resulting in much more bottom end power. I didn't have any jets leaner than the 55 other than a 142. Gave that a try and it was too lean as expected. I've ordered some leaner main jets and a leaner needle form JetsRus. We'll resume testing once those parts arrive. I can't imagine doing this level of tuning without the WB. More to come...

I doubt very few here can challenge Zero on tuning ability. JMHO.
Love that redneck engineering. Nice job.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:50 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
TerryH wrote:
First and foremost a very big thank you to Zero Client for all his help as I am going thru this process...

Once WB testing began we changed to a leaner 5.5 slide which helped the idle a lot but 1/4 and 1/2 throttle were still rich. Zero Client convinced me to file and polish the original 4.5 slide to the dimensions of a 6.0 slide. I was a bit apprehensive but it turned out to be a pretty simple process.

This greatly improved the idle and completely fixed the off idle bog. 1/4 and 1/2 throttle performance is improved resulting in much more bottom end power. I didn't have any jets leaner than the 55 other than a 142. Gave that a try and it was too lean as expected. I've ordered some leaner main jets and a leaner needle form JetsRus. We'll resume testing once those parts arrive. I can't imagine doing this level of tuning without the WB. More to come...

I doubt very few here can challenge Zero on tuning ability. JMHO.
Love that redneck engineering. Nice job.
CO

Agree. I have learned a ton in the past couple of days. Pretty amazing what can be achieved with some expert tuning.

Left over chain link fence rail in the tail pipe. lol... That's pretty redneck even for me but it worked perfectly. :-)

Profile E-mail