Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:24 pm 

Took an easy ride around the neighborhood to finish break in tonight. My neighbors should be used to such things considering we've lived here for 26 years. lol... Checked everything over and let it cool off and then headed to the back yard for a few sessions of fun. Not much room back there but still had a blast. Engine is super responsive and pulls hard bottom to top. Never saw more than 165 degrees all night. I'll haul it over to another property we have where the is more room to do a plug chop and see where we are on the tune.

Aldo pretty cool that today is 6 months to the day from when I bought it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:53 pm 

Very cool Terry. Sounds super good. How do the rear shocks feel with the springs?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 am 

Garemie wrote:
Very cool Terry. Sounds super good. How do the rear shocks feel with the springs?

Thank you! The Methodical Engine feels stout. They shocks/springs feel quite good to me. Will know more once I take it to our other place but I feel like it is a major improvement over stock. There is a big open field on that property that's pretty rough with a big hump in the middle. Hoping to to take it to a friend's place that has a nice track this weekend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am 

That back yard can quickly become an oval race track.. Hell if you add a chicane and a few jumps, you got a short course track..lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 am 

liduno wrote:
That back yard can quickly become an oval race track.. Hell if you add a chicane and a few jumps, you got a short course track..lol

lol... It needs a bit more room to stretch it's legs but that's all I had last night. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 pm 

To satisfy my own curiosity and for general info, I ordered a low pressure fuel pressure gauge. The pump shuts itself off at exactly 2 psi.

ImageIMG_8847 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:25 pm 

Also did a little video showing how the pump works. Pretty interesting little piece actually.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 pm 

Woah that pump is loud. Fascinating

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm 

Am I supposed to see something because I didn’t see anything? Was that the fuel pump making that racket? Glad it’s working for you though :-)
Glad someone’s found another option

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 pm 

Pardon the sideways video but here is the pump operating. You can hear it cycling with the buggy at idle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:09 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Am I supposed to see something because I didn’t see anything? Was that the fuel pump making that racket? Glad it’s working for you though :-)

The video didn't play for you? It works for me. Yes, the fuel pump is noisy. I posted another video of it with the buggy idling. That pretty much drowns it out. lol...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:12 pm 

Garemie wrote:
Woah that pump is loud. Fascinating

It is noisy. When I first hooked it up I thought it had quit before I figured out that it's regulated by the speed and cycling of the pump motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) itself not by some sort of pressure bypass. Once up to 2 psi it just sits there quietly until the Engine needs fuel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 pm 

TerryH wrote:
redskinman wrote:

The video didn't play for you? It works for me. Yes, the fuel pump is noisy. I posted another video of it with the buggy idling. That pretty much drowns it out. lol...

Lol yes video worked but I didn’t see anything happening,I heard a racket but I didn’t see anything moving :shock: :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 pm 

redskinman wrote:
TerryH wrote:
redskinman wrote:

Lol yes video worked but I didn’t see anything happening,I heard a racket but I didn’t see anything moving :shock: :-)

It's moving on the inside. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 pm 

I love the idea of this thing. Am excited to hear CO's result since he's been running pulse pumps and will have a good idea what they do for performance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:23 pm 

Garemie wrote:
I love the idea of this thing. Am excited to hear CO's result since he's been running pulse pumps and will have a good idea what they do for performance.

Yes. Glad he's giving them a try. Good test of pulse vs electric.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 am 

Had an old Kawi ZX6 that had the same style pump. The bike was carbureted, but the sump in the tank sat lower than the carbs. It would only start pumping after you hit the start button, not sure if it had some type of mechanism to turn it off if the bike wasn't running? Maybe a tip over switch, like I mentioned earlier?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:34 pm 

TerryH wrote:
redskinman wrote:
TerryH wrote:
redskinman wrote:

It's moving on the inside. :-)

lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:56 pm 

Congrats TH!

CO, didn't Randy tell you he's been running an electric pump all these years? LOL! Just kidding!

TH- when you get to the field with the jump, take it easy! If the "jump" is shorter than the the wheelbase of your go kart, your going to be in for a surprise. Get used to it before you have to repaint it. Google the world famous front flip!

https://youtu.be/f2picMQC-9E

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:15 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Congrats TH!

CO, didn't Randy tell you he's been running an electric pump all these years? LOL! Just kidding!

TH- when you get to the field with the jump, take it easy! If the "jump" is shorter than the the wheelbase of your go kart, your going to be in for a surprise. Get used to it before you have to repaint it. Google the world famous front flip!

LMAO love the uboob clip cause I agree. Pics that way are crap too.
There has been some argument here on electric fuel pumps and safety.
The more I think about it the more I believe it's more than safe enough. If an oddy is upside down or even on it's side it probably won't be an issue. I say this because the pick up tubes are at the bottom of the tank and if the machine is the wrong way around the pump ain't gona get fuel unless the tank is completely full. This is gona be highly unlikely because these little creeps suck fuel like mad. So unless you crash hard leaving home base, your good. The bigger hazard is gona be the fuel leaking out of the cap on the tank, just like what happened to me in my crash.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Congrats TH!

I'm a fat kid and the hump is big and smooth. Doubt we are gonna fly very much or far.

The stupid phone and the video. I started to go back out to the shop and do it over but I figured none of these hair legs would care since it's all about the sound and not the video. :shock: :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
bullnerd wrote:
Congrats TH!

The more I think about it the more I believe it's more than safe enough. If an oddy is upside down or even on it's side it probably won't be an issue. I say this because the pick up tubes are at the bottom of the tank and if the machine is the wrong way around the pump ain't gona get fuel unless the tank is completely full. This is gona be highly unlikely because these little creeps suck fuel like mad. So unless you crash hard leaving home base, your good. The bigger hazard is gona be the fuel leaking out of the cap on the tank, just like what happened to me in my crash.
CO

I'm with you. I'm probably just gonna run it as I have it and call it good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 pm 

On the Briggs built cars I have a big red switch that cuts the fuel pump directly.

I've seen micro sprints flip and land upright while the pump is feeding the fire.

Turn the ignition off and the melted/shorted wires are still feeding the pump.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:41 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
On the Briggs built cars I have a big red switch that cuts the fuel pump directly.

I've seen micro sprints flip and land upright while the pump is feeding the fire.

Turn the ignition off and the melted/shorted wires are still feeding the pump.

Hmmm... An emergency off would not be a big deal to do. We had the same sort of stuff in the electric dragster that cut power to the controllers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:51 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
bullnerd wrote:
Congrats TH!

CO

Theory would work if it was upside down. What if you are on your side, or an object is holding the machine at an angle. IMO its not worth it. I'm gonna stick with old man Hondas design.

Don't take me wrong Terry you have done a great job rebuilding that FL350 - one of the best I have seen.

Not so sure that electric pump will work with AV fuel. :shock: :-) :-)

CO when you crashed and smashed your back - did you have your wits about you to hit a switch to shut a fuel pump off? Hell what if you are knocked out?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next