Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:23 pm 

CurtisR401 wrote:
I drew up a wire diagram for this swap to help another that has completed it. I will post photos for you this evening.

Mine was not a HO but it should be the same.

-Curtis

I don't remember you ever posting that drawing of the wiring.
If you did I would have pirated it and put it in one of my folders on oddy info :-) .
Maybe I missed it because I do read things fast but I think I would have remembered that.
If you could post that it would be great info and complete the limited stuff I have on this swap.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:26 pm 

Curtis401, thanks so much for replying. Yes I already mounted the engineed and transmission and I'm trying to figure out the wires, I talked with Farr and he used the oddy harnesses, he just hooked the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) and solenoid of the Polaris to the oddy harnesses, is that what you did? If so, can you please help me

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:45 pm 

Curtis401 yours looks pretty good, my is no all that clean like yours because I can't wait to just fired it up and also winter sucks when you don't have a nice garage to work on, plus I figured it was better to make sure everything works first and then get fancy.....lol
Do you have more pictures, videos? Are you happy with it?
I'm really excited to finally found someone with reliable info who has done it before
Thanks canoddy!!
Thanks curtis401

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 pm 

Attachment:
A9454515-CA4A-43F7-8B22-208D3B80BA18.jpeg
A9454515-CA4A-43F7-8B22-208D3B80BA18.jpeg [ 50.84 KiB | Viewed 123373 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm 

Attachment:
49A440CD-B73E-489F-BB3F-2F0186483653.jpeg
49A440CD-B73E-489F-BB3F-2F0186483653.jpeg [ 50.51 KiB | Viewed 123373 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:36 pm 

Attachment:
317CE992-9AF1-4A8D-8958-B2802D4BFB15.jpeg
317CE992-9AF1-4A8D-8958-B2802D4BFB15.jpeg [ 43.8 KiB | Viewed 123373 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:43 pm 

For the record, I did not build mine it was purchased set up like this. I took it apart and fixed a few things on it. I meant to do a thread on it but haven’t gotten to it just yet. If you have any questions just let me know.

My wire diagram is not the best but the other guy fired his up first try. Do not forget to ground the Engine case. I had some issues with mine when using the starter because the previous owner didn’t do so.

CO,
It never posted that diagram here but I’ll do a thread on the rebuild at some point. I met the other guy I helped on Facebook. I believe he was from Canada as well. I directed him over here, not sure if he joined?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:45 pm 

If you can’t read the diagram I can email it larger. Just let me know

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:10 pm 

Thanks a lot Curtis, I'm going to take a look right now and see if I can figure it out, if not I would let you know...lol
I looked at your older project and you did some pretty good stuff and you have a great place to work too
Thanks
JP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:57 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
CurtisR401 wrote:
I drew up a wire diagram for this swap to help another that has completed it. I will post photos for you this evening.

Mine was not a HO but it should be the same.

-Curtis

I don't remember you ever posting that drawing of the wiring.
If you did I would have pirated it and put it in one of my folders on oddy info :-) .
Maybe I missed it because I do read things fast but I think I would have remembered that.
If you could post that it would be great info and complete the limited stuff I have on this swap.
CO

PIRATING COMPLETED :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:20 pm 

Any more updates on this jp88 ??
This will be a great thread if it's completed because this swap has been talked about before but never really documented completely.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:23 pm 

Haven't be able to do much, I need a nice garage!! Has been really cold unfortunately but I been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out locations for my oil tank, radiator and muffler, I have pretty good idea by now on how and where and I just order a radiator and oil tank from a Polaris predator that I think would work better, oil tank is coming on Friday and the radiator on Tuesday
I think I might get the 5 gallon aluminium round gas tank
Hopefully gets warmer soon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:26 am 

jp88 wrote:
Haven't be able to do much, I need a nice garage!! Has been really cold unfortunately but I been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out locations for my oil tank, radiator and muffler, I have pretty good idea by now on how and where and I just order a radiator and oil tank from a Polaris predator that I think would work better, oil tank is coming on Friday and the radiator on Tuesday
I think I might get the 5 gallon aluminium round gas tank
Hopefully gets warmer soon

This weekend I'll take some photos of how I got mine set up for radiator and oil cooler. I changed the location of the oil cooler from how the previous owner had it set up. I welded on a nice mount for the oil cooler and also mounted all my electrical to that mount. Fits perfect now and looks great.

While I do have a nice work space, it is not heated and VERY cold in there. I have been trying to work in my home garage but my welder is at the work shop so I am SOL at the moment. It's tough to stay motivated when you can see your breath & can't feel your fingers. I have a propane heater that takes the edge off but I still dress like an eskimo. Heavy metal music helps also. I am ready for some warmer weather.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:19 pm 

I heard you Curtis, we are neighbors, your are in Rd and I'm in Auburn MA, so I know....lol
Propane heater don't work well and they are expensive to run, you should try a torpedo diesel heater and you can have your shop nice and worm for $14 for 8 hrs,propane is like $27 last like 4 hrs and you have to shake it every 15 minutes, been there....lol..... woodstove is also nice
Now going back to our subject, I would love to see more pictures of you machine and see what you did
Do you have any videos? What do you have for gas tank?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:18 pm 

Well shit, come on down and take a look yourself. That's only an hour away!

This gave me a kick in the ass to get mine back together and worked on it this weekend

I am using going to be using spun aluminum gas tank. It will be mounted within the cage, above the Engine. Mine came with a small gas tank from a lawn mower or something like that...

I will upload some photos off my phone tomorrow and post them for you. I think that this will be the official Polaris 500cc swap thread & we can both share our builds, help others out that may want to go this route, if that's alright with you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:41 am 

This is the bracket that I made to mount the oil cooler and the electrical. Piece of angle iron welded on both sides at the base along the frame and cross tube. Notice the 2 mounts on it as well for the ignition coil. I used some solid round stock, drilled a hole down the center, and tapped it for a bolt.

Attachment:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 83.34 KiB | Viewed 123212 times ]

Attachment:
image2.png
image2.png [ 354.08 KiB | Viewed 123212 times ]

The radiator is mounted using a piece of angel iron where the old upper air box would have gone. Some flat stock welded downwards for the fan to attach. I used radiator mounts with rubber insulators from a subaru to attach the bottom of the radiator. I had to cut them up a bit and drill the holes larger. The nipples on the bottom of the radiator go in the rubber part while the hole gets secured at your seat belt mount. I took apart an old upper air box an mounted the tail light on the angle iron as well.

Attachment:
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg [ 53.96 KiB | Viewed 123212 times ]

Attachment:
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg [ 64.84 KiB | Viewed 123212 times ]

Attachment:
image1 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg [ 55.67 KiB | Viewed 123212 times ]

Attachment:
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg [ 64.45 KiB | Viewed 123212 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm 

Another great thread.
Following this one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm 

Curtis I would definitely will go to see you and hopefully we get to ride together too!! If we ever finish it!!....lol
Yours is looking good, I like what you did with the oil tank and the bracket. I'm going a different way with mine, I'm using a Polaris predator oil tank and I'll install it on the original gas tanks crossmember, for the radiator I used the same location as yours, only difference is I'm using a Polaris predator radiator, also did a mockup of some removable crossmembers to attach the bottom of the radiator and to hold my gas tank spun 8x18, I used the same factory location for the electronics
I would upload some pictures of my mockups and please keep in mind that I'm working on it and I'm concentrating on the location of the components, functionality, appearance etc, ones everything is on place running properly and weather warms up, I would be able to clean and paint

Yes this is definitely the official Polaris 500 swap thread!!....lol
JP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:02 pm 

I just about got it back together.

Here are a few other photos I found when I was rebuilding it. I modified the battery box to accommodate the larger battery. Also a supporting bracket between the Engine and gearbox.

Attachment:
IMG_8352.JPG
IMG_8352.JPG [ 37.88 KiB | Viewed 123095 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The starter relay bracket was moved to the very top.
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 35.96 KiB | Viewed 123095 times ]

Attachment:
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg [ 55.3 KiB | Viewed 123095 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:25 pm 

I followed the wiring per my drawing and I had no issues. Starter worked, all lights worked, and the kill switch.

I was able (barely) to fit my spun aluminum gas tank within the cage. I used some angel iron and flat stock to build a mounting bracket. I feel that it is a safe distance from the exhaust but I can always build a shroud for it. I will keep an eye on it with a heat gun for now and see.

I also installed freshly rebuilt brake master cylinder and rear caliper.

[attachment=2]a.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]b.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]c.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments:
a.jpg
a.jpg [ 69.68 KiB | Viewed 123092 times ]
b.jpg
b.jpg [ 48.51 KiB | Viewed 123092 times ]
c.jpg
c.jpg [ 71.5 KiB | Viewed 123092 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:39 pm 

One of the tough things about this swap is finding a intake flange for the carburetor, Engine side.

If you didn't know... these engines are normally installed at an angle within the atv. the oem intake manifold used has got a bend in it to hold the carburetor parallel to the ground. It is now installed vertically in the FL350 and the new manifold will not have a bend at all and will be straight allowing the carburetor parallel to the ground

I was lucky that the previous owner already modified a part to work for this application. For a replacement, I have ordered 2 new manifolds but have yet to find a bolt on one. In another thread it was suggested a Polaris predator one would work but not the one I received.

I will get some photos of how mine is setup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:34 am 

I put the pics I had of the setup I did back up on my website in the fl350 album, unfortunately when I moved my shop the drawings for the Engine mount were thrown out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 am 

For the intake manifold I made a custom aluminium spacer to rotate it 90 degrees I believe

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:42 pm 

emmanuel farrugia wrote:
For the intake manifold I made a custom aluminium spacer to rotate it 90 degrees I believe

I checked out your photos. That is a slick mount you made there, to bad about the plans. I also notice a FL350 bumper on there. I have one of them and couldn't figure out who made it, now I know.

I have been having all sorts of issues with mine over the last few weeks. I finally made some progress today.

I was having an electrical issue when I first bought this FL350, ONLY when I used the electric start. There was a brown wire from the stator that would smoke when I used the e-start. Come to find out the case wasn't grounded, causing the current to travel back on this little wire = smoke. Fixed that, grounded the case.

Now I had a stator with a burnt up brown wire. I had it all apart anyway so F-it, I'll put in a new stator. I go to wire everything back up but now I have an additional green wire on the harness from my newly installed stator. HMMM..... I taped it up.

This Engine would start, idle like a dream, all day if i wanted it to. From 1/3 to full throttle it would break up, backfire, wouldn't throttle up for anything. Took the carb apart more times then I remember. For weeks this drove me nuts..... It was that FN green wire.

Today I installed a brand new CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) w/ green wire :-) and a new rectifier while I was at it. It revs right up now. Still felt a little boggy on the top end so I ordered a few jets for it. Hoping I'll be good to go after that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 am 

Well,
I am still having issues getting it running right. I have done some digging on other atv forums and I believe that I have the wrong stator installed. My Engine is from a 99 sportsman 500 & original stator had no green wire.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/polari ... e-has.html

"If you have a 2 prong plug with no green wire , you must use the same.
(found this out the hard way.)
The one with the green wire is the most common from 98-2000, so this is why you will find after market ones have the green wire.

"CAN I JUST CHANGE THE STATOR TO ONE WITH A GREEN WIRE?" you ask

NOPE, not according to Mike @ rickystator the only person I spoke with that even knew what the hell I was talking about."

Looks like I need to order a new stator....

Profile E-mail