Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First oddy!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 pm 

So I few weeks ago I came across a FL250 on Facebook local to me. It had been cut up pretty bad and modified to fit a 440 ski-doo Engine. The Engine had no sir filter and was filled to the spark plugs in sand. So with alot of info from this site and some eBay shopping I got a predator 420cc Engine a comet clutch and some other odds and ends and put it all together. The first ride was intense but we'll worth the money and work. It's not complet yet but it's close.

Attachments:
File comment: Getting close to riding it
IMG_20190719_220333609.jpg
IMG_20190719_220333609.jpg [ 74.75 KiB | Viewed 38582 times ]
File comment: Just after some fresh paint, not much rust but the yellow was almost white so I chose blue and black.
IMG_20190628_214619935.jpg
IMG_20190628_214619935.jpg [ 108.22 KiB | Viewed 38582 times ]
File comment: The Engine pre install with the performance kit installed
IMG_20190716_212725994.jpg
IMG_20190716_212725994.jpg [ 64.66 KiB | Viewed 38582 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: First oddy!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 pm 

Welcome to the site.
Not bad for your first oddy.
It looks driveable but I bet you will be moving up to an FL350 Or FL400 soon.
This site is painfully slow now but there is a tremendous amount of info here.
Searching for info:
The best way to find something here is to use the search box above.
In the search box type ONE word ONLY and hit enter. If you don't you will get to many hits.
When the list of threads comes up there will be another search box there on the right.
In that box type ONE word ONLY. Keep doing this as many times as you want until you have narrowed it down. Some common words will be ignored like "Engine" "Honda" etc.
Also at the very bottom of any thread you read will be an area where there a similar threads to the one you are reading. You can click on them to read and get more info.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:49 am 

Can you show more pics of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) installed? Maybe a video of you riding it? I would love to see how it compares to the stock 250 Engine.

Welcome to the site,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:09 pm 

So here's some pictures all said and done. It's powerful and has loads of low end. It will spin the tires on the road but still you can get going with no drama. I did not have any of the wiring or the light when I got it. And I have no fenders at this time but I'm looking into building something for it. The wheels are the next thing. Both rears have a little bend and it makes anything over 40 pretty rough and scary.

Attachments:
IMG_20190721_113513717.jpg
IMG_20190721_113513717.jpg [ 107.56 KiB | Viewed 38552 times ]
IMG_20190721_113500060.jpg
IMG_20190721_113500060.jpg [ 126.82 KiB | Viewed 38552 times ]
IMG_20190721_113451093.jpg
IMG_20190721_113451093.jpg [ 106.2 KiB | Viewed 38552 times ]
IMG_20190721_113427288.jpg
IMG_20190721_113427288.jpg [ 74.32 KiB | Viewed 38552 times ]
IMG_20190721_113421295.jpg
IMG_20190721_113421295.jpg [ 97.94 KiB | Viewed 38552 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:18 pm 

That's cool man!

I'd love to see a video of it in action. Really really want to know how the power is compared to the stock 250.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21 pm 

Garemie wrote:
That's cool man!

I'd love to see a video of it in action. Really really want to know how the power is compared to the stock 250.

Just looking at the numbers and making a preliminary guess, I would say they would be close just based on the HP ratings.
The Predator 420cc is rated at 13 HP.
The stock FL250 is about 17 HP.
Keep in mind here that the Predator is a four stroke and the FL250 is a two stroke.
Basically (and roughly) a two stroke has twice the power of a four stroke of the same size.
So a 250cc two stroke is equivalent to a 500cc four stroke.
The numbers look close to me.
Clutching would be the key here I think. Just my opinion.

By the way if a guy bolted a CR250 cylinder and head on the FL250 you would produce about 35 HP.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Garemie wrote:
That's cool man!

Just looking at the numbers and making a preliminary guess, I would say they would be close just based on the HP ratings.
The Predator 420cc is rated at 13 HP.
The stock FL250 is about 17 HP.
Keep in mind here that the Predator is a four stroke and the FL250 is a two stroke.
Basically (and roughly) a two stroke has twice the power of a four stroke of the same size.
So a 250cc two stroke is equivalent to a 500cc four stroke.
The numbers look close to me.
Clutching would be the key here I think. Just my opinion.

By the way if a guy bolted a CR250 cylinder and head on the FL250 you would produce about 35 HP.
CO
With a manual transmission the 4 stroke is going to have way more low end torque than the 2 stroke, but I don't know how a CVT would effect this?
I wish we had a guy on this site that loved doing experiments on subjects like this..lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:37 am 

It has loads of torque. I did the stage 2 package on the Engine( carb,header, springs,cam,rod) and it pulls awesome tops out on my gps speedo around 50 bit it takes a while to get there. The cvt holds it but my belt is very old and I know it's going to shred after a while( lugging my 200lbs around dosent help) but so far it engages around 2000 rpms very smooth without bucking or belt slip. It continues to pull long after the cvt is fully engaged. I know very little about the cvt setup I just kinda had an idea on how it should line up so I guessed and it works! Lol. If any of you have any better ideas please let me know. It wouldn't let me upload videos to the site if anyone has any ideas on that. If not I will link my YouTube after I add a few. The Engine in stock form was never used I got it and did upgrades before I ran it lol I'm guessing somewhere in the 25hp range and 40+ lbs of torque it will spin the Kenda slicks on dry pavement 22-10-8.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am 

Sweeper54 wrote:
It has loads of torque. I did the stage 2 package on the Engine( carb,header, springs,cam,rod) and it pulls awesome tops out on my gps speedo around 50 bit it takes a while to get there. The cvt holds it but my belt is very old and I know it's going to shred after a while( lugging my 200lbs around dosent help) but so far it engages around 2000 rpms very smooth without bucking or belt slip. It continues to pull long after the cvt is fully engaged. I know very little about the cvt setup I just kinda had an idea on how it should line up so I guessed and it works! Lol. If any of you have any better ideas please let me know. It wouldn't let me upload videos to the site if anyone has any ideas on that. If not I will link my YouTube after I add a few. The Engine in stock form was never used I got it and did upgrades before I ran it lol I'm guessing somewhere in the 25hp range and 40+ lbs of torque it will spin the Kenda slicks on dry pavement 22-10-8.
That sounds awesome! To be honest, spinning the tires, and a top speed of 50mph is probably all you would want without rear suspension.

If you have the video playing, you can just copy and paste the url from your tool/address bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:55 am 

Sweeper54 wrote:
It has loads of torque and it pulls awesome tops out on my gps speedo around 50

It wouldn't let me upload videos to the site if anyone has any ideas on that. If not I will link my YouTube after I add a few.

it will spin the Kenda slicks on dry pavement 22-10-8.

There is a safety factor you need to consider here.
You have no real roll over protection and are very exposed, also I see NO wrist restraints.
No suspension at 50 mph is suspect at best.
I have had a 50+ mph crash in an FL350 oddy -- not a good end result -- trust me. You got less there.

Videos -- we like pics and vids here. Post the link anyways even if only 1 vid.
I like everyone else here really want to see it run since conversions like this don't happen often and then there is no way to verify what a guy says about it. Never seen one run with this conversion. A pic and a vid are worth more than 10 million words of bs. Would be cool to see smoke show on pavement :-) .
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:02 am 

I wouldn't expect a smoke show, to be honest, I would be happy to see it just bark the tires a bit. Now donuts in the dirt, while shooting any size rooster tail, would be even better IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 pm 

Safety is next in going to do a custom cage of some kind to protect the rider. 50 is terrifying and I have limited the throttle to about 70% for that reason. No smoke show just some spin when you really grab a handfull of throttle and I'm working on videos of it idling shooting some fire and riding around. Having a full time job is really getting in the way of the oddy fun lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:00 pm 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jRDasyMo3i2wUCfb9

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:01 pm 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SSQf5auBhyXCP3PE8

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:03 pm 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UczGqh7VoHW68i4x6

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm 

I hope the links all work correctly. The last video is of my manager at work riding it burring the last park of the break in period limited to about 5% throttle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:17 pm 

I was hoping for donuts and drifting..lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:31 pm 

liduno wrote:

On dirt or grass it's super easy to whip around but on pavement the tires are too sticky. I'm going to get some more dimpled knobies for it and try that out for fun

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:20 pm 

Sweeper54 wrote:
liduno wrote:

On dirt or grass it's super easy to whip around but on pavement the tires are too sticky. I'm going to get some more dimpled knobies for it and try that out for fun
Dirt, grass, sandy asphalt, hell even wet grass is fun..lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:11 pm 

liduno wrote:
Sweeper54 wrote:
liduno wrote:

Dirt, grass, sandy asphalt, hell even wet grass is fun..lol

Did the links work ok? I only have a cellphone camera right now. I'm still working on a video of someone giving it a good rip.

Another random question the 40 series clutch I got came with a driven clutch as well but it's about half the size of the stock oddy clutch. Would the smaller driven clutch reduce the speed dramatically? I'm not 100% on the gear reduction on the oddy or how the clutch system math works. In understand the basics and I was thinking that the smaller clutch would make the top speed alot lower but I was talking to a few buddy's and they were saying that when it's fully extended it's still going to gain rpm with the Engine and it could help acceleration and not reduce top speed much at all. Any thoughts or knowlage would be greatly appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:25 am 

Sweeper54 wrote:

Did the links work ok? I only have a cellphone camera right now. I'm still working on a video of someone giving it a good rip.

Another random question the 40 series clutch I got came with a driven clutch as well but it's about half the size of the stock oddy clutch. Would the smaller driven clutch reduce the speed dramatically? I'm not 100% on the gear reduction on the oddy or how the clutch system math works. In understand the basics and I was thinking that the smaller clutch would make the top speed alot lower but I was talking to a few buddy's and they were saying that when it's fully extended it's still going to gain rpm with the Engine and it could help acceleration and not reduce top speed much at all. Any thoughts or knowlage would be greatly appreciated!

1) Links worked for me.
2) This might help you understand cvt systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM
3) Below is a pdf that has some math in it for you.
4) I don't know much about the 40 series so I can't help you on that. Basically a smaller driven will make you go faster but have less low end torque. Opposite for the primary.
5) If you already did 50 mph then that is more than fast enough for what you got there.

Attachments:
QDS- Drive Systems Catalog.pdf [2.91 MiB]
Downloaded 857 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:33 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Sweeper54 wrote:

1) Links worked for me.
2) This might help you understand cvt systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM
3) Below is a pdf that has some math in it for you.
4) I don't know much about the 40 series so I can't help you on that. Basically a smaller driven will make you go faster but have less low end torque. Opposite for the primary.
5) If you already did 50 mph then that is more than fast enough for what you got there.

Thank you so much!
I'm in serious need of a new belt I have the belt that came with the comet clutch and I'm going to try and match it but I need like twice the length of the one it came with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:15 pm 

Any ideas on removing the clutch from the shaft I got the front piece and spring off but the back is stuck pretty bad...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 pm 

Sweeper54 wrote:
Any ideas on removing the clutch from the shaft I got the front piece and spring off but the back is stuck pretty bad...

Pics please.
Which clutch are you talking about ??
Do you have an FL250 manual ??
You can get a free pdf here: https://oddatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... Manual.pdf
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 pm 

Driven clutch inner face is stuck to the main shaft of the reduction and the key is also stuck. The driven clutch was bent pretty good and really wearing the belt quickly so I have a new one I was going to put on and it stated that it should just slide off but that's a myth after sitting outside in Montana for 20+ years I got the cams and spring off and the outer face but the inner is really stuck on there and there's no good way to get a puller on there. I will take pictures tomorrow it's on the lift at my work torn apart

Profile E-mail