Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May’s project
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:03 am 

This old girl is going under the knife in the next few days. Been sitting for a while, but last time I was digging into it the brakes were being especially difficult to get working properly. My plan is to YouTube the inspection, leak down, and compression test. Tear down brakes and have sent out for rebuild while moving forward with what ever the Engine needs then reassemble all in the month of May. It’s a fairly good oem example, fenders are removed for storage, and besides some silver parts that should be gold it’s a nice machine. After looking at it for a while I’m noticing the cage is slightly off on the front right corner of the top. Anyone ever straighten a cage? I still can’t search the forums from my phone wtf!

Attachments:
9675B666-43B1-4591-A3C4-CA97B0EE1712.jpeg
9675B666-43B1-4591-A3C4-CA97B0EE1712.jpeg [ 105.09 KiB | Viewed 11193 times ]
7F63EFC7-B1FC-4467-B9BB-C5B329E1D491.jpeg
7F63EFC7-B1FC-4467-B9BB-C5B329E1D491.jpeg [ 101.02 KiB | Viewed 11193 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: May’s project
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:10 am 

Those are the original rear and front tires.
Therefore I doubt that machine has many hrs on it unless someone had those wheels laying around and just bolted them on that machine. You can't get that pattern anymore.
Cage looks straight to me but it's hard to tell unless you post a perfect side shot of that top cage. Are you sure it's bent on top end ?? Pull the two bolts at the top of that down tube and see if it "springs". Then remove the two at the bottom and see if the tube comes out "nice".
It even has one of the original rubber bumper pads on it. Horse collar and seat belts don't look sun faded and the seat looks perfect. Headlight glass looks clear. Honda decal on main side tube doesn't look rubbed off. That all says low hrs to me as well.
CO

Edit: You might have an original 78mm bore there.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:42 am 

I love how CO noticed the missing front bumper cap. :-)

I have a few cages that are tweaked as well and was brainstorming a fix. Only thing I thought of so far was to hold the top and the bottom stationary and use a hydraulic jack/press to push/straighten it. It always bends where the diagonal tube meets the vertical. Mine will still bolt into the frame even though they are visibly bent. Tempted to just run them but my ocd won’t let me.

Looking forward to seeing you bring this one back to life!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:32 am 

CO the bumper cap is one of the ones I had made haha! The tweak in the cage is very minor, but would still be cool to repair. I’ll know what the bore is when I get into it and report back later. Curtis do you remember the post where someone was using the hydraulic jack go straighten a odyssey or pilot? I can’t seem to find it now. You can see how the corner is down in this photo.

Attachments:
73A7405A-17B0-48BF-93F7-9EF554C2DBC2.jpeg
73A7405A-17B0-48BF-93F7-9EF554C2DBC2.jpeg [ 98.87 KiB | Viewed 11126 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:42 pm 

CurtisR401 wrote:
I have a few cages that are tweaked as well and was brainstorming a fix. Only thing I thought of so far was to hold the top and the bottom stationary and use a hydraulic jack/press to push/straighten it. It always bends where the diagonal tube meets the vertical. Mine will still bolt into the frame even though they are visibly bent.

In my opinion this would only work well if you used a cutting torch to heat the vertical right at the bend while you hydraulic at the low spot.
These frames are incredibly tough. When I crashed the death machine and broke my back, the frame had a 1" twist in it. I took it to work and we come-a-longed it to the welding table. Then we took a 4" pipe about 10' long and two of us pulled down. We managed to get most of the twist out but it still has a 1/4" twist. The chassis has memory and will twist back. You will most likely find that out with the top cage unless you use a torch and heat it up. I couldn't do that on the death machine. Where would you heat it ?? Doing the top cage should be easier.
CO

Edit: I would build a small platform for a jack and bolt it to the bottom part of the frame where the down tube bolts (near the headlight). It would be angled so that the jack is in the same line as the down tube. Put some pressure on it and heat the vertical at the bend. Seems very easy to do.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:07 pm 

Disconnect the front down tube to see where the cage would settle, I think it’s worth trying to straighten! On another note the Engine was around 112 psi so it’s getting a make over. Everything came apart nicely, still thinking this was a low hours machine. Looks like it’s had one bore 78.25 piston and a metal base gasket. One video up so far, hopefully have the next 2 up over the week.

Attachments:
056198E9-6553-4CD9-8C2A-6E234EBCAAE8.jpeg
056198E9-6553-4CD9-8C2A-6E234EBCAAE8.jpeg [ 73.44 KiB | Viewed 10981 times ]
5C1DE5B2-6EE5-4E37-82AC-A34CFA6B8394.jpeg
5C1DE5B2-6EE5-4E37-82AC-A34CFA6B8394.jpeg [ 62.97 KiB | Viewed 10981 times ]
97A3B4DE-B9E0-446F-A299-6D48762218E5.jpeg
97A3B4DE-B9E0-446F-A299-6D48762218E5.jpeg [ 77.15 KiB | Viewed 10981 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:01 pm 

Here is video 1

https://youtu.be/qgbcCjj_SLk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 am 

Hey Malcolm:
I tried to reply to your question on my youboob post but twice the reply would not load.
So I'll reply here.

What is causing the fuel pump to continued to fail?
Well I can't prove it but I do have a theory.
These pumps see a lot of action and the constant pressure then vacuum breaks the seal between the diaphragm and the housings. Vacuum is brutal, more so than pressure. Remember these little pumps see 8000-9000 cycles per minute.
Another issue is that the Chinese pumps have a very rough casting so the surfaces are poor quality. They also use a rubber gasket material and if you try to tighten the screws even a little bit, it tries the spit out the rubber. The other thing I noticed was that no matter what the manufacturer, the screws do not seem that tight to me. This don't help the situation.
This is where silicone becomes a star. It creates a good seal.
I'm a silicone homo and at the moment I'm on my Yamabond kick. This stuff works great. The only down side is that it is very runny. Almost like syrup. But you don't need much, just dab it on with your finger and that's good enough. Surfaces must be clean.
I bet my rent money that when guys were rebuilding their stock FL350 pumps they thought the valves were shot. They were wrong. It's only a leak in the diaphragm.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:48 pm 

CO, I just thought once you sealed them they would work. Your repairs don’t always work?

Part 2!

https://youtu.be/9yzAWA3byp8

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:49 pm 

Part 3!

https://youtu.be/f5IMhAe5KXs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:08 pm 

mforbes wrote:
CO, I just thought once you sealed them they would work. Your repairs don’t always work?

Every single pump worked after I yamabond it.
The only suspect one was the stock pump that only put out 3.5 oz in 10 sec instead of the required 4 oz. Everyone of my pumps work now. I still have two stockers that I didn't do but that's all. So I don't know what to say.
Possible blocked pickup tubes or filter ??
Edit: Possible vacuum hose leak ?? Fuel switch on the right setting if not enough fuel in the tank ?? Did you seal both sides of the diaphram ??
If it's a stock pump maybe those valves and springs are shot (not likely in my opinion) ??
Forget the gas tank. Hook it up to a gas can directly. Just use the vacuum line from the Engine and spin it over. The test are actually made with a running & idling Engine.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 pm 

CO I can only see one vid. where are the rest. so is the the new standard that you have come up with for fuel pumps. do it while its running...