Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot De Newbie 7an
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:11 pm 

Accidentally refreshed the page and deleted my 4 wordy paragraphs, so eh hello there, let my try to recap...

I am a new owner to the buggy world, as well as 2-stroke, never had one when growing up (still only mid-20s here) but I had 4-stroke honda quads, not that I ever worked on one. I am highly mechanically motivated, I just lack in experience. I do have experience with cars mostly mechanical, above beginner electrical, and novice motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). I'm good with a multimeter. Need better torque wrenches. These past 6 months I have diagnosed that the electrical system has a couple out of spec components, and would like advice as to whether they are far-out enough that I need to replace them or not. I will post specifics after this intro.

Attachment:
IMG_20210828_184643_compress9.jpg
IMG_20210828_184643_compress9.jpg [ 154.41 KiB | Viewed 15331 times ]

It's a Pilot!!! This was my fathers, he doesn't work on machines at all, he likes to rip them. He bought it from someone (anyone possibly know who??) about 15 years ago, I have always been intimidated by this thing. Dad's odyssey was cool it had walker shocks, he used to jump it, and broke it a couple times too haha! The pilot didn't have nets which I thought was stupid, as an 8 year old.. back to specs! So it has some history to it that is invaluable to me but I do not have access to, like, did it ever run right with the jets that are in it?? What kind of gas was it tuned for? Why the 39mm carb, is it bored, ported? Why are there cutouts in the footwells, are these some custom stock-length arms? These and more are questions I would like to ask the previous-previous owner, but I instead turn them over to you, the gurus of the pilot odyssey worlds...
• Spotless gas tank
• I cleaned carburetor
• It passed leak-down, but I could do a better test with 6psi with a better setup.
• Compression tested at 130, warmed up WOT (Wide Open Throttle).
• 3oz fuel from my new Polaris pump at WOT (Wide Open Throttle), 10-second starter method, could be tested better at idle
• New hoses
• Idles badly, idle screw works, choke works. Lags at 1st clip, killable with throttle. Only reaches half throttle at 3rd clip. Need tachometer

Aftermarket:
- My oiled Unifilter
- PWK 39 non-air stryker
main: k172, pilot: k40, slow jet?: k38
Needle: eeeg, clip #3, k6 slide
- Powerbloc clutch
- Drilled out stock airbox
- Radiator & fan
- THE REST IS UNKNOWN or stock

Attachment:
IMG_20210828_184518_compress96.jpg
IMG_20210828_184518_compress96.jpg [ 130.47 KiB | Viewed 15331 times ]

I would LOVE to be able to drive this buggy around; I have had a car project on the backburner for a few years and it's losing its appeal... I have minimal free time from work but here and there I can fix it, and I have multiple hobbies but will try to focus on this atleast until it's fixed, also I do enjoy learning and fixing, especially if I could be stranded out in the woods with this thing.

Okay, ask me questions, give me guidance, please. I am thinking of checking the stator and squish next, as I have cleaned and checked a couple things (leak-down, compression, sparkplug, gas lines tank pump, grounds, carb clean, new filter) and put it back together and it's still not right. Also here are the the RESISTANCE VALUES that were out of spec

Primary coil resistance
0.4ohm (OUTSIDE RANGE, 0.1- 0.2 ok)

Secondary Coil Resistance

with spark Cap
7.6kO (OUTSIDE RANGE, 8.1-10kO ok)

without spark Cap
3.1kO (OUTSIDE RANGE, 3.6-4.5 ok)

Attachment:
IMG_20210829_104434_compress77.jpg
IMG_20210829_104434_compress77.jpg [ 98.37 KiB | Viewed 15332 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pilot De Newbie 7an
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 pm 

Welcome,
Nice Pilot, just picked one up myself.

Can you describe better how it is running? I cant help with your jetting, but a quick peek at the Facebook groups tells me your jetting is probably in the ballpark...
I would probably not worry too much about the slightly out of spec values unless you notice you have weak spark. But that's just me, maybe someone else will say different.
The compression is a little low, but I would still expect it to run decently at 130...it should be 150+
Also, you should check your fuel pump at idle. The Pilot service manual specifies 50cc (or 4.7oz) over 10 seconds at idle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:02 pm 

You know, I must've convinced myself that something Must be wrong with this machine... But I'll be damned! Just now, I took it out for a 20-minute cruise and it drove just fine! It just needs fine-tuning, I believe... Still anything past 3/4 throttle it boggs down a bit, or at least it doesn't rev any higher. But it's no longer doing the initial bog when revving from idle. Besides that, Engine wise I think it is just fine. I'm no expert of course, and I do plan to continue my research and eventually tear apart everything to make sure nothing is about to detonate...
Now I would like to make the clutch engage sooner, easy with the powerbloc; adjust the brakes; and I would also like to find this part because mine's toast. Maybe an ultrasonic parts cleaner could fix it up, short of that I have tried feeezing, heating, wd40, impact ratchet back and forth, BFH, to no avail. At least I still have rear brakes
Attachment:
IMG_20210829_185650.jpg
IMG_20210829_185650.jpg [ 55.71 KiB | Viewed 15301 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:07 pm 

welcome, a quick check you can do is pull the airbox lid off and see if it runs any better or worse, if it is better you can do 1 of 2 things, lean it a bit, or a better fix is modify the airbox lid to accept a large pre filter, I did mine be gluing on a large, I think it was a 4" ABS 45 degree fitting and install a large filter, no need to oil that, it is just to keep out most of the stuff, keep your oiled Uni in the box.
if it runs worst then you are too lean already, you can get the same info doing a plug chop, you will need to do a search to understand that, just looking at your plug will give you some idea how it is overall but not so much for WOT (Wide Open Throttle), just don't burn it up if it is already lean!
I also recommend using AvGas, it is a high octane cheap gas and can be the difference between a melt down or not.
as mentioned 130 is on the low side but still should be good.
@ stroke Engines are simple if you are mechanically inclined as it sounds like you are then when time for a rebuild, just follow the manual and you are good, only 3 moving parts in a 2 stroke not counting bearings and clutches as opposed to a 4 stroke.
good luck!

Profile E-mail