Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My old Monster Toy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:35 am 

Hoser's posting of the Mexican hippy bug with it's mud flaps made me think of my old Toyota 4x4.

I need to scan more pics, but here's a few.

Attachments:
File comment: Glamis early 1990
Glamis_1_sm.jpg
Glamis_1_sm.jpg [ 74.44 KiB | Viewed 875 times ]
Glamis_2_sm.jpg
Glamis_2_sm.jpg [ 69.19 KiB | Viewed 875 times ]
Glamis_3_sm.jpg
Glamis_3_sm.jpg [ 66.69 KiB | Viewed 875 times ]
File comment: Going through old mines in Oatman, AZ 1992
Oatman_AZ_sm.jpg
Oatman_AZ_sm.jpg [ 108.92 KiB | Viewed 875 times ]
File comment: Coyote wash in the Anza Borrego desert state park. This trail is closed now.
Coyote_Wash_May_1991_sm.jpg
Coyote_Wash_May_1991_sm.jpg [ 114.52 KiB | Viewed 875 times ]

Post subject: Toys
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:48 am 

Toyota has been making great off-road 4x4s for years. I've never owned one but have come very close several times of purchasing one as I've always liked them as much as I do the Jeeps & IHs.

Those tires look massive! What axles & gear ratio did you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:37 am 

Nice!

Buddy of mine use to have one with 18/44's when he did water crossings the back would float.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:30 pm 

It's an '86 with the front axle out of an '84 and the rear out of an '88 (larger drums).

Axles are 429's, but it's got the marlin crawler dual transfer cases, in double 4-lo it's something like 800:1 (you can setup a chair, put it in gear and watch it climb a hill while eating lunch.....).

It's also one-of-a-kind since Toyota never made an extra-cab longbed 4x4, it started it's life as 2wd. Tires then were gumbo mudder 40's, it now has M/T 35's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:54 pm 

Ody_Stable wrote:
It's an '86 with the front axle out of an '84 and the rear out of an '88 (larger drums).

Axles are 429's, but it's got the marlin crawler dual transfer cases, in double 4-lo it's something like 800:1 (you can setup a chair, put it in gear and watch it climb a hill while eating lunch.....).

It's also one-of-a-kind since Toyota never made an extra-cab longbed 4x4, it started it's life as 2wd. Tires then were gumbo mudder 40's, it now has M/T 35,s.

Slick!

Still have the truck?

I will have to see if I can find pics of my 79 Chevy LUV, took it from a stock 4x4 LUV to Jeep CJ axles, Buick V6, 350 trans and a divorced transfer case out of a 64 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 napco conversion, I only had 33" tires on it since it was a daily driver for a few years before I sold it.

Paid 100 bux for the donor Jeep axles and the rest was free stuff friends gave me.

It was geared too high 3:42 I think, but was a great freeway flier..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:32 pm 

Sold it to a friend two years ago, he still uses it regularly as a rock crawler.

I got a complete rolling chassis from a friend that worked in an import wrecking yard and did the complete change-over in a 3 day weekend and had the driveshafts made the following Monday with double cardon joints at each end (no binding at all).

It was originally 8 inches higher than it is in the pic where I'm sitting under it, but I kept getting nailed by the CHP for being too high so I brought it back down a bit.

Oh, and thanks for rotating the pic, it wouldn't let me put it in that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:15 pm 

Ody_Stable wrote:
Sold it to a friend two years ago, he still uses it regularly as a rock crawler.

I got a complete rolling chassis from a friend that worked in an import wrecking yard and did the complete change-over in a 3 day weekend and had the driveshafts made the following Monday with double cardon joints at each end (no binding at all).

It was originally 8 inches higher than it is in the pic where I'm sitting under it, but I kept getting nailed by the CHP for being too high so I brought it back down a bit.

Oh, and thanks for rotating the pic, it wouldn't let me put it in that way.

You gotta rotate and save the pic before uploading...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:23 pm 

Hmmm, I did that twice and it kept saying it couldn't be more than 600 high by 800 wide, so I rotated it and put it in that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:17 pm 

Cool truck,I thought that bed looked long for an x cab but I just thought it was the pic.I knew they didn't make a long bed x cab.Glad I read every thing before I shot my mouth off.I had an 86 x cab Toy with a 4" lift & cut out flares to make room for 35's.Had to regear it to 5.29s.That made driving it feel almost like stock.It got me most places that I had the nuts to try.It'slong gone now,I had bought it with 10k on it after it had been rebuilt from a hard roll,lifted it by 25k & sold it with 140k.It served me well.

Profile E-mail