Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot with a Polaris 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:44 pm 

I'm needing some help, I've got a good running 500cc Engine from a
1991 Polaris sks 500 that I'm going to install in my pilot.

1. Should I use the stock drive belt for the pilot, and if so how do I set up
the drive clutch that is on the polaris Engine to fit the pilot belt

2. What is the best way to line up the drive and the driven clutches? and
does anybody know the center to center distance on the pilot clutches?

3. Exhaust pipe, should I modify the pipe for my pilot to fit the polaris
or should I find somebody to custom build a pipe?

4. when installing the Engine is it necessary to level the carburetors or
can they be mounted at an angle?

I'm sure that I will have many more questions and really apreciate any
help that anyone could give me......
Thanks again....
Bob Hansen

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:47 pm 

did you remove pilot Engine yet, if not take 100 measurments of alignment etc...clutches are like woman, hard to please and not easily fine tuned.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:01 am 

bugpac wrote:
did you remove pilot Engine yet, if not take 100 measurments of alignment etc...clutches are like woman, hard to please and not easily fine tuned.....

Exactly.. that's what I did http://pilotodyssey.com/new440.htm

I would set it up for use with the Polaris belts myself.

I would keep the carb angle as close to factory angle as I could.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:02 pm 

The polaris clutch requires an 1 3/16 th wide belt were as the driven clutch takes an 1 1/16th. I was running a 95 indy 500 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) in my briggs car and had to make a lot of changes to get the right power out of the Engine. With the belt issue, if you run the skinnier belt it will work but you will be sacraficing a lot of bottom end power, (its like starting out in second gear vs first) To allow for the use of wider belt I removed the helix off the driven clutch and machined the back of it 1/8th inch then made a spacer to press on in between the pullies on the driven. This will allow for the wider belt and full travel of the shoes on the helix. The indy 500 Engine is a piston port Engine and makes very week on power down low which means lots of clutch tuning. The exhaust is a critical component to the power, egt, and coolant temp. If you can not fit your stock indy exhaust do not bend and cut it, buy an exhaust from a larger sled, ( I ended up using an exhaust chamber off an 800 VES Engine). On the intake side, an air box with filters will just choke it to death so figure on making a splash shield type air box with huge slip on air filters. Outside of the low bottom end power the Engine is an excellent choice, very low maintaince, simple electronics, and bulletproof. The clutches need to be 12 1/4 - 12 1/2 apart on center. To set the belt alignment you can use a straight edge set into the driven clutch pointing towards the drive clutch, it should set right in the center between the two pullies on the drive clutch. If the driven clutch on the pilot is the same diameter as the FL 350 then the belts to use will be - For the 1 1/8 th set up will be a parts unlimeted # of LMX 1114, for the wider set up a LMX 1048 will be the closest belt (it will drag a little at first but is the closest belt available) This is assuming that you are using the polaris P -85 drive clutch and the driven is the same diameter as the 350 ody. IF your set up is different than the above then you will need to take a piece of string and lay it around the pullies as if it was the belt in the idle position, then measure its length and then call Harold at HRD racing as he can convert the measurment you give him to a part #.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:23 pm 

Sorry for some reason I thought it was a quad Engine heh, if you use the Polaris belt use the Polaris quad belt not the sled belt, they make 2 you want the one that is not for quads with Engine braking, a sled belt will not have the compound that works as well as a ATV belt compound.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 2004 rotax 600 HO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:38 am 

Well after a couple of days lining up the clutches I found that the Polaris
500 will not fit without having to make extensive mods to the frame (the pull start housing ran into the right rear upper controle arm mount) or having to raise the Engine where the Engine would end up sitting with the spark plugs at about head level. So I was talking to a long lost buddy over the weekend and we were talking about the logistics of mounting a snowmobile Engine and he said he had a Rotax 600 HO that he just pulled out of his sled (he put a 800 triple cyl. into his sled). He said as long as he can ride the pilot that he would give me the Engine :shock: sweet!!!!!
It looks like the rotax is about 2 inches shorter on the pull start side and will end up clearing the frame of the pilot just fine. So I think that the clutch alignment wont be to bad, but the exhaust has me a little worried and if the transmission will be able to handle the power.
I will post more pictures as I go and if anybody has any feedback I would apreciate it very much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:20 pm 

I knew I had these pictures somewhere. It just took me a while to find them. Some guy stuffed a polaris 500HO motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) into an FL350 without doing too many mods to the frame.

Vrroom

Attachments:
500HO.jpg
500HO.jpg [ 86.72 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
500HO (15).jpg
500HO (15).jpg [ 98.39 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
500HO (14).jpg
500HO (14).jpg [ 99.65 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
500HO (12).jpg
500HO (12).jpg [ 92.35 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
500HO (11).jpg
500HO (11).jpg [ 75.47 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
500HO (10).jpg
500HO (10).jpg [ 74.65 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
500HO (4).jpg
500HO (4).jpg [ 66.94 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
500HO (1).jpg
500HO (1).jpg [ 81.41 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:32 pm 

Vrroom wrote:
I knew I had these pictures somewhere. It just took me a while to find them. Some guy stuffed a polaris 500HO motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) into an FL350 without doing too many mods to the frame.

Vrroom

Wonder how it runs?

When you see sand in the pleats of a K&N filter like his in the picture, their is sand on the inside of the filter.... K&N flows more air... and dirt....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:30 pm 

I don't remember where I found those pictures. I've had them for a while. I think I copied them from someones web site. I believe I remember the guy living somewhere in Ohio, maybe?

Vrroom