Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:38 am 

I recently purchased and installed a Superchip Micro Tuner chip in my 2000 Dodge Cummins.

My first impression is it has done nothing for it.
I have not done any accurate testing but figured I should be able to feel a 10% gain in performance.
I inquired with a diesel mechanic & he said the Superchip does very little for the Dodge but works well in the Powerstroke.

Anyone else had any experience with a superchip in a Dodge Cummins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:26 pm 

Which programer did you get - a chip for the ecm or a downloader that hooks into the OBDII port. If you have the chip type you may have a poor connection on the board. If you don't have any adjustable settings then you probably only have about a 40 hp gain which is not that noticable on a 7K truck. You should however notice an increase in fuel mileage. If you don't have a set of gauges and a built trans don't waste your money on the tuners. The auto trans can't take much more than the stock power of the cummins, and to much fuel from the tuners will melt holes in your pistons.

Post subject: Chip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:29 pm 

King Kx wrote:
Which programer did you get - a chip for the ecm or a downloader that hooks into the OBDII port. If you have the chip type you may have a poor connection on the board. If you don't have any adjustable settings then you probably only have about a 40 hp gain which is not that noticable on a 7K truck. You should however notice an increase in fuel mileage. If you don't have a set of gauges and a built trans don't waste your money on the tuners. The auto trans can't take much more than the stock power of the cummins, and to much fuel from the tuners will melt holes in your pistons.

It plugs into the port under the dash for downloads & code reading.

I'm taking it in tomarrow to have a low fuel pressure LED warning light installed on the dash.
They are going to let me try another similar tuner to see if there is an improvement in performance over mine.
I may have to send mine back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:57 pm 

A friend of mine had something installed like this and three weeks later he had tranny rebuilt!!!

Ask your mechanic about plugging the waist gate tube to increase boost...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: trans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:22 pm 

I've heard many stories of trans. failure after installation of performance chips. I am actually pretty surprised I haven't had this happen yet as I work this truck pretty hard in my business and in toyhauling. When the time comes it'll get rebuilt.

The SuperChip programer is not a very aggressive upgrade in performance but should pay for itself in mileage gains over time.

We'll see!

Post subject: chip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:33 pm 

I have a Bullydog powerpup in my Stroker......It is awesome, I added 110 hp to the wheels. It feels like it too!!!!

The Cummins is an awesome powerplant, the rest of the truck is questionable..... Sorry I had to poke you alittle....

I don't have any experience with the Dodge

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Trucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:58 am 

I used to be a very loyal Ford truck man till I bought a new 91 F-250 351. I had tranny & paint issues that Ford never would make right. I'll never have another (late model) Ford truck as long as I live.

The Powerstroke is my least favorite of the big three diesel powerplants.
Lots of cubic inches and more RPMs but still low on performance.

I read somewhere that International was not happy with the numbers that came out of this Engine so they sold it to Ford.

Many of the Powerstroke owners & mechanics I've spoke to have not pleased with them either. Glow plugs, wiring, etc. often fail.

The Cummins only weak area is in it's fuel pumps. The high pressure pumps are prone to failure but often because of the transfer pumps failure to feed sufficient supply causing them to run hot.
Hense this is why I'm installing the low pressure warning light.

Sorry if any Ford Fans are fumed over me stating what I've read or heard. Everyone has their favorites for different reasons.

I'll have another Cummins someday and hopefully before the wheels fall off this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:21 pm 

International was never unhappy with the powerstroke and never sold it to ford. I've been working with them on a dealership and R&D level since there introduction and have seen no more than a handful of failures requiring a new Engine. It is not uncommon to see these engines with close to 500,000 miles and still running strong.
The cummins is also a very good Engine and like you stated, the injection pump shaft is known for breakage due to poor fuel lubricity/low fuel pressure. Put a fuel pressure gauge on your Engine and you find the pressure drops off under a load. The restriction is in the banjo fitting that connects the fuel pump to the fuel line. Remove it and drill it out to allow for more fuel under load.
If you ask me they are all junks, that is why I have a job that is in high demand with a lot of available overtime.

Post subject: Diesels
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:00 am 

King Kx wrote:
International was never unhappy with the powerstroke and never sold it to ford. I've been working with them on a dealership and R&D level since there introduction and have seen no more than a handful of failures requiring a new Engine. It is not uncommon to see these engines with close to 500,000 miles and still running strong.
The cummins is also a very good Engine and like you stated, the injection pump shaft is known for breakage due to poor fuel lubricity/low fuel pressure. Put a fuel pressure gauge on your Engine and you find the pressure drops off under a load. The restriction is in the banjo fitting that connects the fuel pump to the fuel line. Remove it and drill it out to allow for more fuel under load.
If you ask me they are all junks, that is why I have a job that is in high demand with a lot of available overtime.

Thanks for the input. I will look into doing this on my Cummins.
As far as "Junks" I don't have any complaints with my 2000 model Dodge as it has given me very litttle trouble since I new and would certainly buy another.

What diesel truck would you recommend if they are all "Junks"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:41 pm 

I personally own a 7.3l powerstroke. Absolutley would not own a 6.0 powerstroke even though they have an excellent power curve. The cummins would be my second choice but only because I feel the ford chassis is much stronger and better built than the dodge. Also having factory training for 12+ yrs on the 7.3L means that I know the Engine like the back of my hand.

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:46 am 

King KX......So what is the scoop on the new twin turbo 6.4L Powerstroke. I think I seen somewhere it has a two piece block. What will the power ratings be.

If anything, I will wait until the new 6.4L is out a year and decide to get one. I too am partial to the 7.3L, I drove a 6.0L for work for a while and liked the power but it didn't like the mileage, or the lag of power on the lower end. But once you got it wound up, she would fly. For now I'll stick to my 7.3L

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:46 pm 

The 6.4l will be similar to the 6.0 with the two piece block in that it has a bed plate that needs to be removed in order to remove the crankshaft. The few pictures that I have seen show the valley of the Engine similar to the 6.0 with the oil cooler and oil resivoir stuffed in there. The twin turbo set up is NOT a performance twin turbo set up. It is strictly for emissions. One turbo is a low pressure and the other is the high pressure. Cat used this with their ACERT engines for the 04 emissions who stole it from cummins who used this technology back in 1985. Info on this Engine has been very secretive. We just recieved the Engine tool kits and training books/dvd's last week. I don't have a HP number but it would be safe to say that it will be more than the 6.0. (They have to stay ahead of the competition)