Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ROTAX 582 Engine
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:24 pm 

Hi All:

Here again.

Now is time to change my PIlot Engine, I'm thinking to use the Rotax 582

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/a_engine_582.htm

But here are the questions:

Rotax 582 has 6500 rpm (Max 6800) , 65 hp.

Don't know if those rpm will be enough (how many has the original Pilot Engine?) and if the Engine messurements will adaptable to my Pilot.

Thanks for your help and best regards from Spain again.

Pepetio

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ROTAX 582 Engine
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:00 pm 

Pepetio wrote:
Hi All:

Here again.

Now is time to change my PIlot Engine, I'm thinking to use the Rotax 582

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/a_engine_582.htm

But here are the questions:

Rotax 582 has 6500 rpm (Max 6800) , 65 hp.

Don't know if those rpm will be enough (how many has the original Pilot Engine?) and if the Engine messurements will adaptable to my Pilot.

Thanks for your help and best regards from Spain again.

Pepetio

Stock Pilot RPMs are about 7400 max I ran my modified at 7400 to 7800 it would turn 8200 but I seen no need to.

The ROTAX 583 is a great Engine but you need the sled version, it turns about 8700 in the sled I been told it will run forever at 9000, stock the sled Engine is like 98 hp and bunches of torque, the Aircraft 583 is designed for lower RPM and HP.

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3068

You still running the Pilot Engine?

Whats new you have not been around in a while, any news or pics to share?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:23 am 

Thanks Hoser:

I'm still running the original Engine , and it runs great. Just thinking in the future. But here In Spain we never use Sled bikes, It is really forbiden to use in the snow places, only for police and guards, for sure there are no more than 10 in all country. Then it will be close to impossible get this Engine.

I whant to change the clutch, what do you think is better, Comet or Power Bloc? and wich one. From Aft. Mortorsports they can shipping to Spain, they recomend me to buy even the Heel Clicker clutch kit for 200 us$, but The comet is 295 US$, and the puller 30 us$, plus shipping to Spain (200 US$) ,uffff too much money.

I know I've been out long time, I tried several times to join the forum but it wasn't possible, don't know why, even I thought it wasn't available again!!!!! I sent some email to my friends there to "refind" the web site.

Soon Ill send you more pics, My Pilot is now in a great shape, with new decals, and rear bumper.

Other wise I'll improve my buggy collection with a new one....500cc, 45 hp.

See photos

Attachments:
Buggy 2.jpg
Buggy 2.jpg [ 39.44 KiB | Viewed 2253 times ]
Buggy 4.jpg
Buggy 4.jpg [ 107.73 KiB | Viewed 2252 times ]
Buggy 5.jpg
Buggy 5.jpg [ 103.07 KiB | Viewed 2252 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:03 am 

Pepetio wrote:
Thanks Hoser:

I'm still running the original Engine , and it runs great. Just thinking in the future. But here In Spain we never use Sled bikes, It is really forbiden to use in the snow places, only for police and guards, for sure there are no more than 10 in all country. Then it will be close to impossible get this Engine.

I whant to change the clutch, what do you think is better, Comet or Power Bloc? and wich one. From Aft. Mortorsports they can shipping to Spain, they recomend me to buy even the Heel Clicker clutch kit for 200 us$, but The comet is 295 US$, and the puller 30 us$, plus shipping to Spain (200 US$) ,uffff too much money.

I know I've been out long time, I tried several times to join the forum but it wasn't possible, don't know why, even I thought it wasn't available again!!!!! I sent some email to my friends there to "refind" the web site.

Soon Ill send you more pics, My Pilot is now in a great shape, with new decals, and rear bumper.

Other wise I'll improve my buggy collection with a new one....500cc, 45 hp.

See photos

I have no idea what aftermutt is selling these days, so $350.00 for the clutch then $200.00 for the heal clicker kit, I guess the comet clutch is not all that great if you gotta throw more money at it right out of the box and buy after market kit to cure its problems? I bet he will give you a deal on shipping haha

Have you tried to contact ATV Racing http://atvracing1.com/completepilot.htm

How about Triple E they don't have much of a web page but you might email them ask if they will ship over seas.
http://www.expresspages.com/t/triplee/ Sara's E-mail address at Triple E... smorrisk@yahoo.com 1-800-763-3762

You also might try HRD racing. http://www.hrdracing.com
909-875-4150

I included phone numbers I was not sure if you had free long distance to the USA or not or if their would be a language barrier or not
:-)

I missed you in the chat room by 2 hrs.

Let us know how you make out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 am 

Ok I'll try

But what do you think is better Comet? or Power Bloc

Thanks Hoser

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:50 am 

Pepetio wrote:
Ok I'll try

But what do you think is better Comet? or Power Bloc

Thanks Hoser

Hands down the comet is a far superior clutch when your comparing quality, workmanship, tune ability how ever when you start talking about surviving the environment we are putting the clutches in the power bloc wins hands down, the comet clutch was never intended to be exposed to the elements the Pilot or Odyssey exposes the clutch to, I have had comet 102 and 108 clutches on snowmobiles in the past even under the protection of the enclosed hood of a snowmobile they suffer damage from moisture and rust, they are constant maintenance.

The power bloc clutch is better design for exposure, I have worn out 3-4 power bloc clutches, that is the clutch faces where the belt rides is worn out, the rest of the power block clutch moving parts is like new, still very useable, I wish you could replace the clutch faces I have no doubt you could wear out 2-3 clutch faces before the rest of the clutch was worn enough to consider it worn out and not usable.

Morons (guys trying to sell you clutches and take your money) will argue for days on end tuning of these clutches, and they are right IF and only IF your running around a groomed track where traction and terrain does not really change then the comet offers more tuning options not that you would need them, in years past most of the racers on hard pack oval tracks were using the power bloc than the comet and were winning, you cant discount the tuning of the power bloc, I have found the tuning limited to the guy selling the clutches, even HRD only stocks a limited amount of spring options, I have found the spring that comes with the clutch close enough for most applications, I use a softer spring for a faster up shift.

See regardless what salesman tell you we are trying to clutch to a ever changing terrain so your tuning is a ball park figure, so unless your racing against others with like machines 95% of their sales BS on tuening all goes out the window, proof of this is what is the biggest gap you see between you and the other Pilots or Odysseys you ride with, even when everybody is running hard and WOT (Wide Open Throttle) their is not a huge difference.

Historically my power bloc Pilot has out performed the comet clutched Pilots and Odysseys without any problem.

My advice given here comes from owning and using a Pilot for both racing and pleasure for 12 years, I also owned several FL250 Odysseys for years before buying the Pilot, I had friends I use to ride with that bought new Odysseys in 1979 and 1982, my observations on what works and what is unnecessary goes back quite a ways.

Their is no shortage of keyboard experts that troll the Pilot Odyssey boards spewing expert advice on what you need and don't need, before you buy do your homework they talk a good game, most have little or NO actual experience that is why I started this page http://pilotodyssey.com/hosertrip.htm its some of my experience.

PLEASE ASK TO SEE THEIR experience before buying or taking their advice, also you should know their are guys giving Pilot Odyssey advice that don't even own a Pilot or Odyssey... this don't make them bad or wrong they are just trying to help it just makes them unexperienced and they are easily agreeing to people that are giving bad advice whilst trying to be helpful.

Sorry to be long winded here but their is no short easy answer, I hope you can translate all of this lol

:shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:39 pm 

If you can talk to harold at HRD RACING it worth the call. I now have 27 hrs on my new (4th) hrd set up for dunes and the drive face are showing signs of ware. I also have used the ALT from atv racing as well and the ware on the driven is about the same, the belt wear using stock belt is better with the hrd with the clutch set up right in my opion and use of both. The atv drive does better with the after market belt. I did notice once the HRD was installed the driven was up shifting to soon verses the ATV racing drive(ALT) and had to replace the worn driven spring to get it dialed in right. ON my wifes when I changed her drive from the ALT type to HRD type the driven faces had wore were the ALt drive had it run out and felt like an over drive when the HRD ran out pushing the belt over the groves in the driven and teraing up belts, had to replace the driven faces and spring. Never used comet on pilot. I have had better luck with the hrd for both woods and dune riding and is my clutch of choice. Nice thing about HRD is harold set me up with other to help take advantages of the pilots potentals. Also he discussed drive tunning,porting,timming effects and driven tips over the phone with me for an hour and half. Could not get ATV racing to do that. I do use some of the ATV racing products with no problems I just wish they would take ten to twenty minutes to discusse your set up and base there recomendation off of that. I'am not dissing ATV racing just sharing my discussions I have had with them. When installing the power block clutch of your choice be awear that getting the right amount of of weight in the pucks has a big difference on your ridding conditions. The weight changes your engagment speeds of the clutch and it good to change if your going from dune to woods. If your driven is in good shape than the drive is easy to adjust by adding or taking out weight. The HRD type will take more weight than the ALT for the same effect. If the ALT is using ten disc. than the hrd will need twelve disc. The main difference is the way the drive cover and puck holders are made the alt have a striaght angle and hrd have a rounded angle on the drive cover. Harold can explain the advantages and disadvantages. I feel the Hrd is a better preformer out of the cornors and and provides better down shifting as well as quicker up shifting. This is based of my experiances and your own reserch in products and the effect your looking for will help you make the best dicession for you. It took three clutches and hours of tunning for me to learn I wish the info was there for me, I just did not klnow where to look. In the tight and nasty stuff I have even seen the stock clucth do better than the power blocks there enclosed componets hold up better. I sure do like the look of that buggy, is that ohlines on there. What kind of travle do it have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:58 pm 

adnoh wrote:
If you can talk to harold at HRD RACING it worth the call. I now have 27 hrs on my new (4th) hrd set up for dunes and the drive face are showing signs of ware. I also have used the ALT from atv racing as well and the ware on the driven is about the same, the belt wear using stock belt is better with the hrd with the clutch set up right in my opion and use of both. The atv drive does better with the after market belt. I did notice once the HRD was installed the driven was up shifting to soon verses the ATV racing drive(ALT) and had to replace the worn driven spring to get it dialed in right. ON my wifes when I changed her drive from the ALT type to HRD type the driven faces had wore were the ALt drive had it run out and felt like an over drive when the HRD ran out pushing the belt over the groves in the driven and teraing up belts, had to replace the driven faces and spring. Never used comet on pilot. I have had better luck with the hrd for both woods and dune riding and is my clutch of choice. Nice thing about HRD is harold set me up with other to help take advantages of the pilots potentals. Also he discussed drive tunning,porting,timming effects and driven tips over the phone with me for an hour and half. Could not get ATV racing to do that. I do use some of the ATV racing products with no problems I just wish they would take ten to twenty minutes to discusse your set up and base there recomendation off of that. I'am not dissing ATV racing just sharing my discussions I have had with them. When installing the power block clutch of your choice be awear that getting the right amount of of weight in the pucks has a big difference on your ridding conditions. The weight changes your engagment speeds of the clutch and it good to change if your going from dune to woods. If your driven is in good shape than the drive is easy to adjust by adding or taking out weight. The HRD type will take more weight than the ALT for the same effect. If the ALT is using ten disc. than the hrd will need twelve disc. The main difference is the way the drive cover and puck holders are made the alt have a striaght angle and hrd have a rounded angle on the drive cover. Harold can explain the advantages and disadvantages. I feel the Hrd is a better preformer out of the cornors and and provides better down shifting as well as quicker up shifting. This is based of my experiances and your own reserch in products and the effect your looking for will help you make the best dicession for you. It took three clutches and hours of tunning for me to learn I wish the info was there for me, I just did not klnow where to look. In the tight and nasty stuff I have even seen the stock clucth do better than the power blocks there enclosed componets hold up better. I sure do like the look of that buggy, is that ohlines on there. What kind of travle do it have.

Double the life of your clutch faces with this simple mod...
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=529

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:49 pm 

exactly what is wrong here... http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3027

23 hours??? Did I read right??? outer face is not replaceable??? got to buy another???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:50 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
exactly what is wrong here... http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3027

23 hours??? Did I read right??? outer face is not replaceable??? got to buy another???

You really need to take yours off and apart for inspection to see whats going on.

Profile E-mail