Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The FL440
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:39 pm 

Hey guys im making my own Honda pilot clone cause i cant afford a real pilot. I posted of this before, but now im 110% serious and ready to start.
Its going to be modeled after the Pilot 400 but instead of having A arms on the rear im using a single solid axle and single swing arm like on this project:
http://www.mts.net/~hpokrant/Piranha_Buggy/index.htm
Also i will be using foot pedals, and a bigger stronger Engine.

What i have:
BIG Yamaha 440 2 cyl 2str snowmobile Engine (50hp plus)
72 to 10 gear ratio might go to 82 to 10 if 72 isn't enough for wheelies.
22in spiked rear tires
19in atv fronts
cheap steering system
hydro shocks
enough steel pipe to build 2 go karts
Pillow block bearings
hydraulic brake system
4 point harness
brake and gas pedals
brake and gas cable

What i need:
Bucket seat
Fuel Tank
Expansion chamber and muffler
3/4in pipe for A arms
helmet

What i want:
Lights
Netting
wrist restraints
electric starter(not gonna happen)
foward rev neut tranny

I have a couple questions though:
1. Would a 72 to 10 gear ratio couple with a 50 hp plus Engine give me enough torque to do wheelies on my pilot sized frame? wheelies are my thing.
2. My Engine is only fan cooled and from a snowmobile do you think overheating will be a big problem? ANy way to add another cooling system to it?
3. I am using steel tubing from a chain linked fence, it might be softer than the stuff i would be getting at lowes. But would it be too soft for a full frame and rollcage? Its about 1 1/4 inch thick steel tubing. Im gonna use 3/4in steel tube from lowes for frt a arms.
4. Do i need to add anything to my list of needs?
5. Any suggestions for helping me get wheelies? Or just any other suggestions about the cart?
6. Help me buy things show me good deals and such.
Ill get some pictures of my taped out design, it looks very nice. As soon as i get my bucket seat(if i can ever find one)I will start building the frame.
I will have pics and vids of my progress(i need lots of pics and vids cause this is also for my senior exit)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:50 pm 

3. do not trust the steel tubing from a chainlink fence to save your life(big bad no no) on top of that its going to be galvanized(so it don't rust) you can weld galvanized but it puts out major noxious fumes(don't ask me how i know) you could use the tubing for some of the frame work and non supporting pieces but i would not use that tube for the main part of the chassis or roll cage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:54 pm 

thanks but my budget might force me to use the chain link pipe for a lot of the frame. even if it is a risk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:08 am 

i understand budget, but i wouldn't sacrifice safety for money(especially with the kind of speeds these rigs can hit) don't you have a local scrap metal suplier(they usually have all sorts of tubing for dirt cheap) our local scrap supplier here has everything i need to build and make roll bars and what not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:37 am 

If you agree to give up on the galvanize fenceing pipe and hit your shops and ask for what they call drops or cutoffs AKA scrap pieces I will give you a bucket seat!!! I have two to chose from... you can pay for shipping but I might help with that also...
What I am saying is I will help you but not if you are going to be foolish...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:53 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
If you agree to give up on the galvanize fenceing pipe and hit your shops and ask for what they call drops or cutoffs AKA scrap pieces I will give you a bucket seat!!! I have two to chose from... you can pay for shipping but I might help with that also...
What I am saying is I will help you but not if you are going to be foolish...

what turbotexas really means is please god don't build the full chassis and roll cage out of that pipe, it will fail...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:28 am 

The correct pipe does not cost that much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:23 pm 

If you use fence pipe you need to spend a couple grand on a helmet and harness. Oh yeah and life insurance.
You must be kidding? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:34 pm 

At the risk of beating a dead horse.

How about using the aluminum frames from old lawn chairs. Don't worry about the welding of it, I have a case of aluminum pop rivets, or do you think stainless would be better for the added strength?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:57 pm 

Ody_Stable wrote:
At the risk of beating a dead horse.

How about using the aluminum frames from old lawn chairs. Don't worry about the welding of it, I have a case of aluminum pop rivets, or do you think stainless would be better for the added strength?

or you could always use curtain rods...that would be way cheaper and maybe even stronger!!! :shock: :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:37 am 

ok people lighten up a little bit. nsxtacy, all we are saying is that the fence tubes will not work well as a frame or roll bar, you can use it for stuff like shock hoops, or side bars to wrap around but not for the top and not for the frame(the most critical part of any vehicle is the top and frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:03 am 

malodin wrote:
ok people lighten up a little bit. nsxtacy, all we are saying is that the fence tubes will not work well as a frame or roll bar, you can use it for stuff like shock hoops, or side bars to wrap around but not for the top and not for the frame(the most critical part of any vehicle is the top and frame.

Trust me these guys are worried about his safety and wellbeing they are not poking fun at him, look at cafercr35's experience from this weekend, I doubt he went their thinking he was going to bend his cage, his Honda engineered cage bent.

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3137

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:23 pm 

hoser wrote:
malodin wrote:

Trust me these guys are worried about his safety and wellbeing they are not poking fun at him, look at cafercr35's experience from this weekend, I doubt he went their thinking he was going to bend his cage, his Honda engineered cage bent.

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3137

i completely agree that the tubes are the wrong ones to use, i just know that if i had this "perfect plan" in mind and i had 8 people saying the same thing 2 different ways it might make me upset. all i meant buy lighten up was in a good sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:19 am 

I am guessing he is a young feller so if he needs help we don't want to scare him off as a bunch of grouchy old guy's... HAHA

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:26 am 

Speak for yourself.

I for one try to scare the "young fellas" as often as possible. Gun cleaning has taken on a whole new purpose now that the two oldest are dating.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:28 am 

Ody_Stable wrote:
Speak for yourself.

I for one try to scare the "young fellas" as often as psssible. Gun cleaning has taken on a whole new purpose now that the two oldest are dating.........

lol, that's funny