Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:46 pm 

About 3 weeks ago I sold my 94 Acura Integra project car and most of the big parts I had bought to make it go faster. These young kids are serious about their imports. It took 2 days to sell the car, vtec head and the tranny that I had. I did this because I figured it was time for me to get another age appropriate( now 35) car. I had been eyeing this camaro for the past 15+ years setting in the driveway. I went to high school with the man's 2 sons and after college I ended up working for the same company as his wife. since I had a little money to offer him for it I told her to tell him I would give him $3500 for it. About a week later he came back and said $4000 and I could get it. I had been asking about the car for years but I never made a serious offer. $4000 was a little more than I wanted to pay, but after seeing the prices these things go for I could not pass on it. It has been setting since 1993 and he stopped driving it only because the insurance was too high with his boys on the policy. It will need a complete restoration. I won't be doing one of those super expensive restorations like you see on TV. I just want to make it a good driver car. Since I do have a little money left over in the budget, I will be replacing all of the sheetmetal on the front end. The guy had already had the rear quarters replaced, but they have a lot of surface rust on them from not putting a good sealer on. Luckily it has not pitted the metal yet. another few years and the quarters would need to be replaced. It needs a new lower trunk pan and the rear floor pans where the passengers put their feet. It is several other small rust spots around the windows and a couple small spots on the door. It is in much better shape than the previous one I had that we converted into a 100% drag car. I am still kicking myself for doing that to my original 69 RS car. This is just a plain Jane. It is tons of other stuff I want to do, but this post is long enough for now. I will post updates as the months and maybe years go by. This will take some serious time.

[/img]

Attachments:
PICT1055.JPG
PICT1055.JPG [ 147.5 KiB | Viewed 4761 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 pm 

pass side

Attachments:
PICT1057.JPG
PICT1057.JPG [ 78.57 KiB | Viewed 4759 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:53 pm 

Engine

This will have to go, along with the 2 speed powerglide. Good thing I saved the 350 4 bolt and TH350 from my last 69 before it was converted to a race car.

Attachments:
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0002.JPG [ 122.79 KiB | Viewed 4757 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:59 pm 

passenger quarter panel

Attachments:
PICT1059.JPG
PICT1059.JPG [ 133.17 KiB | Viewed 4756 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:11 pm 

That will be a real nice project I cant wait to see it progress.

Whats the story with the green truck?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:14 pm 

A few pics of the drag car that mainly sets in the trailer. Too expensive to race it in grudge matches when everyone has deeper pockets than you. Bracket racing is just no fun. I promise I won't destroy the new car by cutting it up like I did this one.

http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/sidecam.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/engine2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/images/newiterior.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/images/MVC-742F.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/images/MVC-744F.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/images/engine4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/images/MVC-737F.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/images/MVC-735F.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~tpride73/images/MVC-743F.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:24 pm 

The green truck is a parts truck for a 1969 2WD short bed project truck that I bought right after we converted the Camaro to a drag car. I converted the front clip to a 67/68 and welded the new rocker panels and cab corners on it. The bed is a mess and will need both sides replaced. It has set in the barn for the past 8 years because my heart was just not into the truck. That long bed 67 in the pic will be getting junked in the next few months. The long beds are a dime a dozen around here. Once my dad finishes the rebuild of his 86 Grand National Engine I will probably give it to him to finish. I know I won't touch it now, but I refuse to sell it. I paid $200 for the rolling chassis 8-1/2 years ago. My dad will get lucky as I have new bumpers, grill moldings, mirrors, carpet, dash pad, weather stripping and a ton of other parts in my attic for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:26 pm 

307 in there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:31 pm 

finallygot1 wrote:
The green truck is a parts truck for a 1969 2WD short bed project truck that I bought right after we converted the Camaro to a drag car. I converted the front clip to a 67/68 and welded the new rocker panels and cab corners on it. The bed is a mess and will need both sides replaced. It has set in the barn for the past 8 years because my heart was just not into the truck. That long bed 67 in the pic will be getting junked in the next few months. The long beds are a dime a dozen around here. Once my dad finishes the rebuild of his 86 Grand National Engine I will probably give it to him to finish. I know I won't touch it now, but I refuse to sell it. I paid $200 for the rolling chassis 8-1/2 years ago. My dad will get lucky as I have new bumpers, grill moldings, mirrors, carpet, dash pad, weather stripping and a ton of other parts in my attic for it.

Drag car looks nice what kind of times it run?

I need a bed and then some for my 72 GMC I would like to find a solid rolling chassis and just repair then swap body's, Chevy or GMC don't matter to me...

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=1697

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:34 pm 

I believe so. The guy claims he swapped a 350 in it sometime in the early 80's. I have not looked at the harmonic balancer or any other markings to tell since I know it will be getting replaced. He was the original owner so it could be true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:47 pm 

The car ran a best of 8.60 sec at about 160 mph in the quarter on the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). We have not tested it with the nitrous since the first time we tried ended in a broken rocker arm that sent metal through the block costing over $5000 to fix. The Engine dynoed at 965 hp on motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). If you were closer you could get a long bed frame for cheap. We get very little snow here so most of the frames just have some surface rust. The beds are a different story. If you were closer you could get that green one for free. I wish both my projects had factory A/C. Unfortunately I chose to cut up the most valuable car and keep the plain Janes. The only good thing with the truck is that it has the posi 3.73 gear 12 bolt. I will have to take some pics of that if I can get it out of the barn/shed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:57 am 

finallygot1 wrote:
The car ran a best of 8.60 sec at about 160 mph in the quarter on the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). We have not tested it with the nitrous since the first time we tried ended in a broken rocker arm that sent metal through the block costing over $5000 to fix. The Engine dynoed at 965 hp on motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). If you were closer you could get a long bed frame for cheap. We get very little snow here so most of the frames just have some surface rust. The beds are a different story. If you were closer you could get that green one for free. I wish both my projects had factory A/C. Unfortunately I chose to cut up the most valuable car and keep the plain Janes. The only good thing with the truck is that it has the posi 3.73 gear 12 bolt. I will have to take some pics of that if I can get it out of the barn/shed.

965hp nice

Go with a vintage a/c kit so you can really enjoy the car!

Pics would be great, I might not have a choice but to drive to get a good bed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:57 pm 

I recently sold my black 68' SS 396/TH400, numbers matched, close to 100% correct. Nice car, they are fun and look great. I do like the fenders better on the 69 but I could not find a good 69' BB when I was looking for mine. Anyway, for insurance, go with Haggerty. I used them and they were cheap...like $200/250 a year or something absurb like that. They insure for towing, comp & loss only. You must show that you have another vehicle that is a daily driver and is fully insured and that you will store the Camaro in a grage for security/proteciton.

The 350 is a good Engine for those cars. If your spare is still in good running condition all the better. If not, punch it out to 383 and you will be very happy.

Year One was good for me in my cosmetic overhaul of my 68'. They have all stuff in stock and ship the next day via UPS. I found that eBay was not good for 1st gen quality parts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:50 am 

Looks like a good project. Good luck!

What's the story the the Grand National in the background?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:50 pm 

That is my dad's car. He spun a rod bearing a couple months or so a go and he is in the process of pulling the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) to get it rebuilt. He doesn't have as much interest in cars as he used to so he is taking his sweet time working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:17 pm 

I have been doing a little work to the camaro over the last couple months until I got a sinus infection that took almost 2 weeks to go away. I guess that is what I get for not wearing a face mask while removing dirt, rust, mice droppings and god knows what else that had gathered over the past 14 years. I got the front tour down and the interior stripped. I need to take the suspension apart now for a rebuild. I have my Engine and tranny all ready to be installed. I have purchased all new front sheet metal and I can't wait to start putting it all back together. I have a ton of new and refurbished parts waiting to be installed. It is killing me, but I refuse to rush as I want this to be the best that I can do. It won't be perfect by a long shot, but knowing I did all the work myself, except for paint, will be self satisfying. I will keep everyone updated, but things will be slowing now that the cold air is coming in and my little garage is not heated. I have been doing all the work so far outside because the tear down and cleaning makes a huge mess.

Attachments:
sidenoeng.JPG
sidenoeng.JPG [ 39.29 KiB | Viewed 4739 times ]
dashpanel.JPG
dashpanel.JPG [ 72.34 KiB | Viewed 4739 times ]
engine.JPG
engine.JPG [ 65.52 KiB | Viewed 4739 times ]
parts1.JPG
parts1.JPG [ 65.63 KiB | Viewed 4739 times ]
parts2.JPG
parts2.JPG [ 62.13 KiB | Viewed 4739 times ]
rrqtr.JPG
rrqtr.JPG [ 64.49 KiB | Viewed 4739 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm 

A couple of more pics.

Attachments:
flowmasterkit.JPG
flowmasterkit.JPG [ 75.78 KiB | Viewed 4737 times ]
nofrontclip.JPG
nofrontclip.JPG [ 74.64 KiB | Viewed 4737 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10 pm 

If ya need help don't hesitate to ask I sold my 69 to my brother and bought my pops a 67.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 pm 

It has been a while since I last updated my camaro project. Things have been going really slow. I did not touch it at all last summer while we were trying to sell our house. We gave up last fall and decided to stay where we are for a while longer. Right after we did that I started working on the car again. It was a real pain sanding all the old paint and rust off the car. The budget just didn't allow for some sort of professional blasting. I managed to get the front sub frame cleaned and painted during a couple warm days we had. Since it was 70+ degrees this past weekend I decided to test fit the front clip. I was also lucky to find some cheap reskinned doors on Craigslist. That will save me hours of work as the bottoms of my old doors were in bad shape. Now that I got most of the real dirty cleaning done I will bring the car to my house to finish the project. The "to do" and "to buy" list are very long, but I am in no rush at all. As mentioned before this will not be a show car. I won't be affraid of rock chips and other scratches. I will enjoy driving this one on a regular basis. Hopefully the Pilot won't get jealous when I put the car in the garage with it.

Attachments:
PICT2928.JPG
PICT2928.JPG [ 418.71 KiB | Viewed 4544 times ]
PICT2961.JPG
PICT2961.JPG [ 670.24 KiB | Viewed 4544 times ]
PICT2974.JPG
PICT2974.JPG [ 446.64 KiB | Viewed 4544 times ]
PICT2977.JPG
PICT2977.JPG [ 539.99 KiB | Viewed 4545 times ]
PICT2981.JPG
PICT2981.JPG [ 673.46 KiB | Viewed 4544 times ]
PICT2982.JPG
PICT2982.JPG [ 684.6 KiB | Viewed 4547 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:47 pm 

Aghh the resto begins again. Looks like youve made some great headway, that will looks nice when the hood is open and someone looks deep inside Engine compartment up close. good luck with your endeavor and keep us posted with pics, parts, etc!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:48 pm 

yeah keep the pics coming. that will be a nice one once your finished with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 am 

My progress will speed up once I get it from my parents house in the next couple weeks. The rust repair will take some time and I don't want to rush in the areas that can be seen. I will be sure to post some pics of my lack of welding skills. They say "Practice makes perfect". I sure hope that's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:12 pm 

very nice! my dad has a 68 SS back when i was growing up. He took the 455 out of the T/A and put it in the SS. WOW was that a fun car to ride in... GOOD OLD DAYS!

Now that i am older him and I are working on T/A. We put a stroked 467 in there just need some wiring and few other thing and it will run!

GOOD LUCK! keep us updated on your progress. I will post pix of the T/A

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:27 pm 

Any updates on this car??