Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 pm 

SICKSAND wrote:
Looks great,I will be doing a long travel kit on mine very soon.Besides the pilot what do you have into it,what kit is that on there??

we bought this buggy used it already had the ATVR long travel on it, we just took it apart and cleaned and powder coated everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:15 am 

So how much droop or sag did you end up with in the back with the lighter springs...

175/175 - damn that had to be stiff
I believe most from ATVR are 125/150 and I feel they are complete overkill...

Your ride looks sweet now...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:26 am 

That looks really nice, I am getting pilot fever just looking at that thing. Now if I could only find one for 2K LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 am 

Looks great!
Can you take a pic showing full lock,left and right?
What adjustment measurement would you use for this lock?...Baz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:56 pm 

Very nice. and pretty cool jack too.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:15 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Looks great!

Ok i will post pics for you of lock to lock, i think what your getting at is the inside tire turns more than the outside tire this is ackerman this subject has been beat to death on these boards and i have talked about putting a rack and pinion in one of my buggies to fix this issue, but after chatting with people on the board and thinking long and hard about the benefits i decided to live with it as is, but that being said here is my 2 cents, you need a little bit of ackerman, i feel the stock Pilot has way to much but as i have stated before the front end is way light and i feel you steer mainly with the throttle anyways.

the way the tie rods bolt to the steering arm creates two different arch's making one tie rod move more than the other, i saw pics on one of these sites where someone welded up both holes in the steering bracket and put one hole in the middle, changed the inner tie rod ends to heims and stacked one on top of each other and bolted them to the new centered hole on the steering plate, this would help the tie rods move the same. i have never tried it or herd how it worked though.

or you would have to fab spindles with movable steering arms, by lengthening or shortening the steering arms you can change the akerman.

Attachments:
File comment: lock right
pilot 034.jpg
pilot 034.jpg [ 235.17 KiB | Viewed 993 times ]
File comment: lock left
pilot 035.jpg
pilot 035.jpg [ 234.01 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]
File comment: stock locks
t_pilot_013_937.jpg
t_pilot_013_937.jpg [ 78.04 KiB | Viewed 1134 times ]
File comment: ATVR bump steer kit locks
pilot 032.jpg
pilot 032.jpg [ 229.63 KiB | Viewed 993 times ]
File comment: pen showing steering arm if you lengthen or shorten it will change ackerman.
pilot 036.jpg
pilot 036.jpg [ 238.71 KiB | Viewed 993 times ]
File comment: here is a pic of a steering arm from a asphalt circle track car you can see the arm is slotted for the tie rod to adjust ackerman.
frontsteerstockcar.jpg
frontsteerstockcar.jpg [ 6.04 KiB | Viewed 1130 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:30 pm 

afastcar wrote:
bugeye59 wrote:
Looks great!

Ok i will post pics for you of lock to lock, i think what your getting at is the inside tire turns more than the outside tire this is ackerman this subject has been beat to death on these boards and i have talked about putting a rack and pinion in one of my buggies to fix this issue, but after chatting with people on the board and thinking long and hard about the benefits i decided to live with it as is, but that being said here is my 2 cents, you need a little bit of ackerman, i feel the stock Pilot has way to much but as i have stated before the front end is way light and i feel you steer mainly with the throttle anyways.

the way the tie rods bolt to the steering arm creates two different arch's making one tie rod move more than the other, i saw pics on one of these sites where someone welded up both holes in the steering bracket and put one hole in the middle, changed the inner tie rod ends to heims and stacked one on top of each other and bolted them to the new centered hole on the steering plate, this would help the tie rods move the same. i have never tried it or herd how it worked though.

or you would have to fab spindles with movable steering arms, by lengthening or shortening the steering arms you can change the akerman.

Here it is http://pilotodyssey.com/haussLT-2.htm he copied the same setup as the FL350 tie rod setup, I have a 350 steering stem and yoke in the shop I was going to see if I can just swap stems with the Pilot

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:49 pm 

here are pics from a 06 YZF 450 you can see it is the same as the Pilot. and this might help http://www.auto-ware.com/setup/ack_rac.htm

Attachments:
pilot 038.jpg
pilot 038.jpg [ 236.72 KiB | Viewed 993 times ]
pilot 037.jpg
pilot 037.jpg [ 236.34 KiB | Viewed 993 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:54 pm 

Thanks for the reply.
You mean this one?
http://www.dirtcheapracing.com/steering/

What I was after tho,was the amount of wheel lock-Max?
There are wheel lock stop bolts that are adjustable with lock nut.
These are the measurements I was after.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:08 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
You mean this one?
http://www.dirtcheapracing.com/steering/

What I was after tho,was the amount of wheel lock-Max?
There are wheel lock stop bolts that are adjustable with lock nut.
These are the measurements I was after.

yes that was the one i was talking about, that makes the ackerman look much better, does anyone know him how did it work?

as far as the steering stops for the ATVR setup they are dictated by the stock stops i back my ATVR stops off so they didnt touch anything so the stock stop on the steering shaft could hit lock to lock, then i locked the wheel to the left and ran the left ATVR stop up until it just touched and then did the same on the right.

if you want it to turn more you would have to grind the stock stops down some, but make sure you have room to do so you don't want the wheels rubbing anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:15 pm 

afastcar wrote:
bugeye59 wrote:
Looks great!

Maybe its the pictures but the top A arm looks like its too far forward, positive caster?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 pm 

[/quote]

Maybe its the pictures but the top A arm looks like its too far forward, positive caster?[/quote]

its the picture, the lowers are ahead of the uppers, when the lower is ahead of the upper that's positive if the upper was ahead of the lower that's negative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:28 pm 

i guess i should state why i don't like allot of ackerman, when you have allot of ackerman it makes the front of the car like a plow and scrubs speed and when your racing you don't want to scrub speed. you wouldn't run your car toed out a bunch when your driving straight why would you want it toed out a bunch when you turn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:47 pm 

Is that a Pro Design Cool Head on a ATVR CR500 top end? All the posts about Speedchaser's cool head got me thinking about putting a cool head on my CR500 LT Pilot. Has anyone swapped-out ATVR's CR500 head with a Pro Design Cool Head? I wonder what the compression would be with the "Race Gas Dome" that comes in Pro Design's kit? My understading is that ATVR uses one of two heads with a CR500 conversion. A 'race' head that's over 200psi and a lower compression head (still requiring race gas) that's around 180psi. (Can anyone confirm this?) My compression is around 180psi and I'd rather not go too much higher. If anyone is running the Pro Design race gas head on their CR500, please let me know what your compression is. Also, let me know if you noticed any differences after making the switch. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:11 pm 

Update; got the 500 99% done this week just waiting on a few parts from service Honda to be 100%, it fired right up and would idle fine but after it warmed up we tried to drive it and it would just fall on its face it would not clear out and was super fat, it had a 420 main jet and a 110 power jet so we changed the main to a 390 and the power to 100 like some others on the board are running it made no difference, so we thought maybe it was electrical so we checked all the grounds and swapped out the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) and coil no difference, so i checked the float level it was a little high so i lowered it no difference, so we put the smallest jets we had in it a 370 main and a 70 power no difference, this thing would idle fine but wouldn't get out of its own way after that????? so i blocked off the power jet so it was just on the 370 main and put the needle in the top clip and finally it tried to run and clean out a little, all the while i had been talking with Hoser and he was helping as best he could we didnt have another carb to try so he sent us a 39mm PWK to try we received it yesterday bolted it on and woo hoo it ran like a striped ass ape.......... Hoser nailed the jetting spot on we spent the day breaking it in and shaking the Pilot down went over all the nuts and bolts checked the fluids and planned a ride for today, this thing ran great all day never missed a beat what a good feeling to see it go from a Pilot rusting away to a good running buggy.... THANKS FOR EVERYTHING HOSER!!!!!!!!! without your help and your website this thing would still be in pieces............

Attachments:
pilot 086.jpg
pilot 086.jpg [ 236.76 KiB | Viewed 1132 times ]
pilot 088.jpg
pilot 088.jpg [ 239.75 KiB | Viewed 1131 times ]
pilot 089.jpg
pilot 089.jpg [ 230.08 KiB | Viewed 1131 times ]
pilot 087.jpg
pilot 087.jpg [ 242.39 KiB | Viewed 1133 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:35 pm 

afastcar wrote:
Update; got the 500 99% done this week just waiting on a few parts from service Honda to be 100%, it fired right up and would idle fine but after it warmed up we tried to drive it and it would just fall on its face it would not clear out and was super fat, it had a 420 main jet and a 110 power jet so we changed the main to a 390 and the power to 100 like some others on the board are running it made no difference, so we thought maybe it was electrical so we checked all the grounds and swapped out the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) and coil no difference, so i checked the float level it was a little high so i lowered it no difference, so we put the smallest jets we had in it a 370 main and a 70 power no difference, this thing would idle fine but wouldn't get out of its own way after that????? so i blocked off the power jet so it was just on the 370 main and put the needle in the top clip and finally it tried to run and clean out a little, all the while i had been talking with Hoser and he was helping as best he could we didnt have another carb to try so he sent us a 39mm PWK to try we received it yesterday bolted it on and woo hoo it ran like a striped ass ape.......... Hoser nailed the jetting spot on we spent the day breaking it in and shaking the Pilot down went over all the nuts and bolts checked the fluids and planned a ride for today, this thing ran great all day never missed a beat what a good feeling to see it go from a Pilot rusting away to a good running buggy.... THANKS FOR EVERYTHING HOSER!!!!!!!!! without your help and your website this thing would still be in pieces............

Thanks for the update I am glad your getting some seat time, how about some detail pics on the coolant hose piping what did you end up doing?

You have a tach to see what RPM's your running?

Springs better on the shocks?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:52 pm 

hoser wrote:
afastcar wrote:

Thanks for the update I am glad your getting some seat time, how about some detail pics on the coolant hose piping what did you end up doing?

Springs better on the shocks?

i will take pics of the coolant setup i used a 5/8 T for heater hose and they make springs that fit over the 5/8 hose so you can make 90 degree bends without kinking the hose.

the tach reeds in hundreds not thousands are they all like that do you just add a digit to the end? i have never used a Digitron before, but i put a marker line on the clutch face and it is shifting all the way out, it has a good hole shot and top end.

the springs are good if i was racing on a groomed track i would go lighter but since this is mostly a trail buggy we will keep it where its at.

thanks again...................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:28 pm 

CONGRADS!!! LOOKS SWEET!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:51 pm 

The seat is the most worn out thing, lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:32 pm 

[/quote]

Springs better on the shocks?[/quote]

here are pics of the coolant lines, i used a 5/8 T with springs made for heater hose to bend 90 degrees without kinking.

Attachments:
pilot 039.jpg
pilot 039.jpg [ 233.48 KiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
pilot 038.jpg
pilot 038.jpg [ 239.84 KiB | Viewed 1116 times ]
pilot 040.jpg
pilot 040.jpg [ 235.6 KiB | Viewed 1115 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:53 am 

Hoser, Tim wanted me to thank you again the 500 is running great it never missed a beat the whole GNCC race. thanks again for all your help.......

Attachments:
Pilot%20Race%20002.jpg
Pilot%20Race%20002.jpg [ 60.6 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
Pilot%20Race%20032.jpg
Pilot%20Race%20032.jpg [ 22.49 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
Pilot%20Race%20033.jpg
Pilot%20Race%20033.jpg [ 27.06 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
Pilot%20Race%20036.jpg
Pilot%20Race%20036.jpg [ 33.05 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
Pilot%20Race%20038.jpg
Pilot%20Race%20038.jpg [ 32.74 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
Pilot%20Race%20040.jpg
Pilot%20Race%20040.jpg [ 68.29 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:02 pm 

afastcar wrote:
Hoser, Tim wanted me to thank you again the 500 is running great it never missed a beat the whole GNCC race. thanks again for all your help.......

Top picture, another trucker enjoying the day!!! LOL I thought I was only one crazy enough to use my rig as a toy hauler!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:33 pm 

afastcar wrote:

Cool!
Glad you guys had a good time..

When is the next one?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:52 pm 

Their is one last GNCC race at Crawfordsville, IN on 10/25 maybe we can talk John from Trackside to get us in that event? Im sure if enough people commit he can get us in.

http://www.racerpress.com/newsmanager/t ... a=230&z=24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:13 am 

Hi I was curious how wide is the front (outside of tire to outside of tire) and the rear ( outside of tire to outside of tire). Are they the same or is the rear 6 to 7" wider? Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next